Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 15 – 16, 2019 – 11 Adar I 5779 – Parshas Tetzaveh
Light Candles by 5:27 – Havdalah 6:27
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Moshe and Batel Koss of Hashmonaim, and to grandparents Miri & Rabbi Reuven Koss of Netivot.
* Adina & Josh Obstfeld on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Sophie. Mazal Tov to siblings, Max and Rose, and to the entire family.
* Lynn & Aron Trombka on the engagement of their daughter, Elana, to Yosie Friedman of Teaneck, NJ.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the Bar Mitzvahs of their grandsons, Jared Zimbalist of Fair Lawn, NJ, and Avraham Zimbalist of Beit Shemesh, Israel, and on the birth of their great-granddaughter, Rachel Tova (Rachelli), born to parents Nechama & Yaakov Wolff, of Kerem B'Yavneh, Israel.
* Martin Katz on the passing of his grandfather, Irving Torchinsky, and Joyce Torchinsky on the passing of her father. The funeral took place on Friday.
* Light Candles by 5:27
Ashkenazi: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:25 Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
* Shabbos Ends: 6:27
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Malin and Shlomi Benita
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Adina and Josh Obstfeld in honor of Sophie's Bat Mitzvah.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Tax Statements for the YISE Charity Fund and the Shul have gone out by email and/or snail mail (for those whom we do not have email addresses on file). If you have not received your statement, please contact either Simi Franco or Sahra Ginsburg in the office.
White Reflector Belts were donated and are available in a box by the coat rack near the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Ruach Minyan – The YISE Ruach Minyan welcomes MEOR this Friday night! In addition to the regular singing and dancing and chidren's story there will also be some brief words of introduction and perspective at different points of the davening. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'Dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, February 16, at 7:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Chava and Rafi Cohen and family. For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 20, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Amazing Statistics, Part II"
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 3, 12 noon, at YISE. This is a full certification class and will be administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification & special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time for the class is three hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Breath Brake Seminar – Learn How to Live Longer & Better – with Rabbi Elimelech Goldberg, Wednesday, March 13, 8:30 PM at Ohr HaTorah. Free and open to the community. RSVP is recommended as space is limited. To RSVP call 202-331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr HaTorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. See flyer for details. Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 17, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at KMS. See flyer for details.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 16, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM Bnei Akiva Snif – This Shabbos, February 16, 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM. 2nd – 5th graders at KMS. 6th grade at the Solomon home, 701 Kersey Road. Walking groups leave YISE at 3:35 PM and return at 5:40 PM.
Chevra Kadisha Training – Sunday, February 17, at KMS. General session from 1:00 PM * 4:00 PM and leader training from 7:00 PM * 8:30 PM. The first session will be taped for those who are unable to attend.
Kollel Zichron Amram Federal Holiday Learning Program – President's Day Programming
* Sunday, February 17th – Men¡¦s Halacha Shiur: Hilchos Shmiras Haloshon and Shidduchim – Practical Halacha, with Rabbi Reingold. 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM at the Yeshiva. Light refreshments.
* Monday, February 18 – Men¡¦s Shiur – Sugya of Lashon Horah Letoeles, When is it appropriate to tell negative information, with Rabbi Reingold. 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yeshiva. Light refreshments.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. On February 19, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 20, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Professor Deborah E. Lipstadt – Wednesday, February 20, at 8:00 PM at KMS. Professor Lipstadt will be speaking about her best-selling book, Antisemitism: Here and Now. Her talk will be moderated by Erica Brown. Following the talk, Professor Lipstadt will be autographing copies of her book, which will be available for purchase in the KMS lobby.
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "The Adopted Princess" – Sunday, February 24, doors open 12:30 PM, show begins 1:00 PM. Monday, February 25, doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" will be available for sale during intermission. Advance ticket sales, ads for the Playbill, and Performance DVDs at www.yeshiva.edu Order NOW! For more information- email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407
An Evening to Benefit Bonei Olam of Greater Washington – Please join us for our inaugural event in the Greater Washington area on Sunday, February 24, at 7:00 PM. Come and learn about a wonderful organization that provides financial assistance for fertility treatments and guides couples through the process. No cost to attend. Go to https://www.boneiolam.org/rsvp_greaterwash to learn more and to RSVP. Refreshments, appetizers and desserts will be served (Pareve and meat). Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We look forward to seeing you there!
POSTPONED: IZUN Financial Education Community Workshop * The workshop planned for February 24 will be rescheduled.
Free Job-Related Webinars * Monday, February 25. Emotional Intelligence at Work: Your Key to Career Success, 7:00 PM – 7:45 PM; LinkedIn 101, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM. For more information and to register, go to www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Mike Stern: True Tales from One of Our Own – Join AMIT and Mike Stern, former Supervisory Special Agent with the FBI, as he talks about his experiences both at home and while in service in Israel. March 2, 7:30 PM. $18 per person, sponsorship opportunities available. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/midatlantic to register for this exciting event. Refreshments will be served.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Support Group for Women Who Are Caregivers – The Golden Network is forming a new support group for women that are caregivers .This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301-732-1773 or email@example.com, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Esther Dziadek email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 17 Monday, Feb. 18 – Presidents Day Tuesday February 19 Wednesday February 20 Thursday February 21 Friday February 22
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:35 5:35 5:35 / 7:30 5:35 / 7:30 5:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:05 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 22 – 23, 2019 – 18 Adar I 5779
Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:35 – Havdalah 6:35
* Light Candles by 5:35
Ashkenazi: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:35
Friday, February 15 Ruach Minyan, 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 16 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Monday, February 18 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, February 20 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Wednesday, February 20 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:15 PM
Shabbos, March 8 & 9 Scholar-In-Residence Rabbi Avraham & Dr. Adina Shmidman
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:Wednesday, February 20 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager