Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 3-4, 2017 – 6 Adar 5777 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:45 – Havdalah 6:44
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Barbara & Michael Blaustein on the birth of a grandson, born to Adina & Ezra Blaustein of Beachwood, OH. Mazal Tov also to Uncle Josh Blaustein.
* Violet Battat & Shlomo Bolts and their entire families on the birth of their son, Reuven Yehezkel. The Bris was held on Thursday. A belated Shalom Zachor will be held from 9:00 PM – 11:00 PM in the 1121 University Towers G-level party room.
* Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the engagement of their son Yehuda to Elisheva Goldenberg. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Arline & Dr. Irving Katz and Lorraine & Rabbi Sam Vogel.
* Naomi & Nechemia Mond on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Doni. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Rosaline Sonnenwirth and Marilyn & Milton Ozar, grandparents Betty & Stuart Ozar and Ita & Jimmy Mond, and all of the siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends who have come to share in the Simcha.
* Renee Seidemann on the passing of her mother, Janet Goldstein. The funeral took place on Thursday in NY. The family will observe Shiva in Staten Island through Wednesday.
* Light Candles by 5:45
Arcola: 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:44
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – Naomi & Nechemia Mond in honor of Doni's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEK: Final Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, March 4, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Aliza & Gil Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz (Reuvain Ben Shaul Zissel), on the occasion of his third Yahrzeit on 13 Adar. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child, Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living – Rabbi Rosenbaum will share some important reflections on Jewish parenting. Sunday, March 19, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This discussion is geared for parents of young children, nursery through grade 3. Please come prepared with your questions. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more information.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 2: Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM! Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome. Visit http://www.shalomdc.org/kempmillparkgdd2017 Good Deeds Day 2017 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
See the attached Taanis Esther and Purim Schedule
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Laughter, the Best Medicine – Pre-Purim Shiur with Rabbi Reingold for women, this Shabbos, March 4, at 4:30 PM, at the home of Meera & Stephan Miller, 1015 Arcola Avenue.
YISE/KMS Purim Carnival – Please join YISE/KMS for our third annual Purim Carnival at KMS, Sunday, March 5, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Sing-along will take place from 11:00 AM -11:20 AM and story time will be from 11:25 AM – 11:45 AM.
Purim: Using Simcha as a Way to Connect with Others – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 5, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Amalek: Of Valuation & of Devaluation – Pre-Purim BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky on Tuesday, March 7, at 8:00 PM at YISE. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Celebrate Purim with YISE! Join us for a family Megilla reading followed by dancing and refreshments! Men, women and children of all ages are welcome and costumes are encouraged! Motzei Shabbos, March 11 at 7:30 PM.
Purim Pasta Groggers Program – YISE is running its first annual program in conjunction with Kosher Food Pantry. Bring your box of pasta (rice or cereal) to Shul and shake it whenever you hear ‘Haman,' and look for the marked bins by the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Social Hall where the boxes can be placed after Megilla. Boxes not used for groggers are welcome, too! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sixteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 12 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community's children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda Purim Cards are Here! Support Tomchei Shabbos, the Kosher Food Pantry and more. Contact Debbie Katz at 301-675-6684 or email@example.com for more information. Only $2.50 each.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery is seeking Full-Time and Part-Time Teacher Assistants for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for teacher assistants who want to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, ECE 90 Hour Course preferred. Please contact Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Nemi Klein, Dr. David Klein, and Mrs. Sara Glashofer on the passing of their father, former YISE member, Max Klein. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva information will be distributed when available.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Kumzits with Eitan Katz – Kemp Mill Synagogue welcomes the entire community to a spiritually uplifting evening. Motzei Shabbos, March 4, at 8:00 PM at KMS. Free admission and pizza.
Zoned In: The Halachos of Kavana – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, March 5. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM. Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 12:00 Noon Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:55 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 8, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Job Search – Free webinars from Peggy McKee. March 7, "Job Search Strategies" and March 8, "Job Search Skills." For info and to register, please visit www.careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
* Questions about these workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 5 Monday, March 6 Tuesday, March 7 Wednesday, March 8 Thursday, Mar. 9 – Taanis Esther Friday, March 10
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:55 5:55 / 7:30 5:55 / 7:30 5:55 / 7:30 1:00, 5:30 / 6:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:43 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:21 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM
March 10-11, 2017 – 13 Adar 5777
Parshas Tetzaveh – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:52 – Havdalah 6:51
* Light Candles by 5:52
Arcola: 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:51 – followed by Megilla Reading
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
Shabbos, March 4 Bar Mitzvah of Doni Mond
Motzei Shabbos, March 4 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM, YISE Social Hall
Wednesday, March 8 YISE Board Meeting, 8:00 PM
Shabbos, March 11 Bat Mitzvah of Shoshana Savir
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 8 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
YISE Purim Schedule 5777/2017
Taanis Esther -Thursday March 9
Earliest Talis/Tefilin: 5:37am
Arcola – Social Hall 6:10am
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35am/7:35am
Arcola – Beis Medrash 8:30am
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 1:00pm/5:30pm
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:20pm
Fast Ends: 6:49pm
Purim Night – Motzai Shabbos March 11
Shabbos Ends/Maariv: 6:51pm
People who have not yet davened Maariv should make sure to say "Baruch hamavdil bein kodesh lechol" once Shabbos is over before changing into costumes or driving to shul. Havdalah is normally made after Megillah reading.
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary and University 7:30pm
Megillah: Youth/Family Celebration – Arcola Social Hall 7:30pm
Megillah Only: Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 9:30pm
Spring forward to DST
Purim Day – Sunday March 12
Arcola – Social Hall 6:30am
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:30am/9:00am
Megillah Only – Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 11:00am
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 2:00pm/5:30pm
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 9:00pm