Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 31 – February 1, 2014 – 1 Adar 1 5774 – Parshas Terumah – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 5:10 – Havdalah 6:11
* Light Candles by 5:10
* Mincha 5:10, 5:10 (Ruach), 5:05 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:50 (Sephardi), 5:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:11
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Joshua Dachman
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Rosh Chodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Fischer family in honor of Chaya Elka's Bat Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume in February.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:20 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:35 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rose & Saul Elbaum on the birth of a grandson, Max Nathan, totheir children Chava & Joey Elbaum of Olney.
* Aviva & Morris Fischer on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Chaya Elka. Mazal Tov to grandmother Leah Fischer, grandparents Dorothy Kendall & Steven Morris, and Chaya's siblings, Shlomo, Zahava and Shimshone.
* Sue Stern on the birth of a great-grandson, Yaakov Adir, to her grandchildren, Elianna & Ian King of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to the grandfather, Dr. Manoach Groskin, of Hashmonaim, and to all the aunts, uncles & cousins.
* Former member, Dr. Malcolm Schrader on the passing of his wife, Lillian Schrader. The funeral was Thursday in Israel. Shiva will be held in Jerusalem through Wednesday morning and he can be reached at 972-2-563-7314.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays andFridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – Shiur will not meet on February 5.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. There will be a special mini-series on February 4, 11, and 18 by Rabbi Akiva Leiman: Pass it on – The origins and transmission of the Torah based on the Rambam's introduction to Perush Hamishnayos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Honorees: Jodi & David Mazel, Young Leadership: Rachelli & Craig Simon and Youth Honorees: Tara Kugler – Naomi Merkin – Adena Miller
Ad Deadline – EXTENDED to February 3 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservations and Seating Preference – Please respond by February 3
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department presents Super Bowl Sunday At YISE! Sunday, February 2. Kick off 6:30 PM. All are welcome. Hot dogs and wings provided at a nominal fee. For more info contact Avi Litwack email@example.com
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Family Ruach Minyan – This Friday, January 31, at 5:10 inthe Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, February 1, 7:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Bela & Ephraim Unell and family. Open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lots of Fun! (Next session will be February 15.)
YISE Together-for-5 – Will restart on Monday, February 3, with a seriesof audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the "Laws of WashingBefore Bread." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday February 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
An Inspirational Shabbos – Presented by GWCK in conjunction with YISE. Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and song. Shabbos, February 7-8, at YISE. Program highlights: Thought provoking lectures, elegant, enjoyable catered Friday night family dinner, and inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros (by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Simcha Leiner). To make reservations, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or email@example.com
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/ siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Lost in Shul – A black Nissan car key was taken from the Nusach Sefard Minyan cabinet last Shabbos. Please contact the Shul office with any information.
Non Approved Alchoholic Beverage – If a bottle you brought to Shul for a Kiddush was not useable, please contact the office about retrieving it or giving it away, 301-593-4465, ext 401.
The Trolley Problem and The Runaway Train: Triage Decisions in Halacha – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter. Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM, YISE Social Hall.
Keeping Your Sanity with Tweens and Teens – A "bonus" parenting lecture by parent educator Judy Rosenthal, sponsored by YISE Youth.Sunday, February 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
Eldercare workshop: The Special Challenges of Long Distance Care Giving – Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE and KMS. Featuring Barbara Trainin Blank, an award-winning writer and the author of the recently published "What to Do about Mama." Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at KMS. Light refreshments. Free admission. RSVP requested to firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-331-4481.
YISE Nursery Registration for 2014-2015 is now OPEN – Our Torah-based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and children's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. For inquiries contact 301 593-7365 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of this endeavor.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Mondaythrough Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Bnei Akiva Silver Spring Snif this Shabbos, February 1 from 3:50 PM until Mincha at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:20 PM.
Girls Night Out – with Mrs. Zakem and Mrs. Glassberg, this Motzei Shabbos, February 1, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM, at the home of the Garfields, 1160 Kersey Rd. Join a discussion about topics that are relevant to YOUR life! Pizza Melave Malka! For girls in 9th to 12th grades.
TSGW 11th Annual Chinese Auction – Sunday, February 23, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Prize drawings begin at 8:30 PM. Admission: $25 per person. To reserve your entrance ticket in advance, contact 301-962-8003 ext. 2300 or email@example.com Order tickets online at www.tsgwauction.com
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn – Intermediate – Free workshop. Wednesday, February 12, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org
* Improve Your Business Web Page – Learn how to use Facebook ads, sponsored stories, and boosted posts. Online. Free. Wednesday, February 19, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
Message from the Mikvah Emunah Society – We regret to announce that the Ballard Keilim Mikvah is not open for use at this time. Please use the Keilim Mikvah at Kugler's or the Chabad Potomac Mikvahuntil further notice. We will notify the community once the Ballard Keilim Mikvah has been repaired.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 2 Monday, February 3 Tuesday, February 4 Wednesday, February 5 Thursday, February 6 Friday, February 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:20 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 7-8, 2014 – 8 Adar 1 5774
Light Candles by 5:18 – Havdalah 6:19
* Light Candles by 5:18
* Mincha 5:20, 5:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00 (Sephardi),5:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:19
Friday, January 31 Ruach Minyan, 5:10, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, February 1 Bat Mitzvah of Chaya Elka Fischer
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 1 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Wednesday, Feb. 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, February 9 Parenting Lecture with Judy Rosenthal
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 15 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Sunday, February 16 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 5, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director