Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 8 – 9, 2019 – 4 Adar I 5779 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:19 – Havdalah 6:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lisa & Eli Landy in memory of the 20th Yahrzeit of Eli's mother, Russa Faiga bas Akiva, Rhoda Kreiselman.
* Hadassah & Abie Franco on the birth of a son, Sammy (Shmuel ben Avraham). Mazal Tov also to grandparents, Simi & Sammy Franco and Rivka & Howard Elling, and to greatgrandparents Dottie & Nat Franco and Janet Rottenberg and to siblings Simi, Rena and Devorah and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Chaim & Rena Fruchter on the birth of a grandson, to their children, Ora Fruchter & Bradford Jordan.
* Chava & Howard Kern on the birth of a granddaughter, born to Marlowe & James Rinsler.
* Suri & Eric Kinzbrunner on the birth of a daughter, Devorah Nesyah.
* The Kotek family on Bella's Bat Mitzvah.
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Rena. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer.
* Light Candles by 5:19
Ashkenazi: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:15 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Shabbos Ends: 6:20
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Michelle & Yoni Goldstein with tremendous Hakarat Hatov.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Bonnie & Yitz Szyf with gratitude to Hashem for the birth of Elazar Shimon, and a special thanks to Lucas, Hillel, and the entire 9:15 crew for constantly ensuring an outstanding Minyan and Kiddush.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, , in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume February 17.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM- 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
"The Making of a Minhag: The Laws and Parameters of Jewish Customs" – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi of Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Sunday, February 10 at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Ruach Minyan – February 15, with a special children's story program during part of the davening. So bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 3, 12 noon, at YISE. This is a full certification class and will be administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, which will include both CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time for the class is three hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'Dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, February 16, at 7:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall! For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. Autism, a developmental disorder that is growing in prevalence, affects social skills, communication, and repetitive behaviors. Awareness and understanding of autism increases the chances of early diagnosis and support. Learn from an expert panel: the signs and symptoms of autism, the experience of parenting a child with autism, techniques for teaching children with this diagnosis, the perspective of an openly autistic professional, and some Jewish insights on disabilities. Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Aaron and Rona Lerner in honor of the recent Bar Mitzvah of their awesome great-nephew Betzalel Broth.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 9, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM
Sulam Bowlathon – Sunday February 10, 7:30 PM, in Bowlero College Park! Join us for a great competition, great food, and a great time to support Sulam! All funds raised by the Bowlathon help Sulam fulfill our vision to ensure that a high quality education is available to children in the Greater Washington area, irrespective of their learning differences. Learn more at www.wizathon.com/sulambowlathon
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. On February 12, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Spring Contest – Wednesday, February 13, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See your friends compete for best International Speech and best Evaluator. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Kollel Zichron Amram Federal Holiday Learning Program – President's Day Programming
* Sunday, February 17th – Men's Halacha Shiur: Hilchos Shmiras Haloshon and Shidduchim – Practical Halacha, with Rabbi Reingold. 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM at the Yeshiva. Light refreshments.
* Monday, February 18 – Men's Shiur – Sugya of Lashon Horah Letoeles, When is it appropriate to tell negative information, with Rabbi Reingold. 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yeshiva. Light refreshments.
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "The Adopted Princess" – Sunday, February 24, doors open 12:30 PM, show begins 1:00 PM. Monday, February 25, doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" will be available for sale during intermission. Advance ticket sales, ads for the Playbill, and Performance DVDs at www.yeshiva.edu Order NOW! For more information- firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407
An Evening to Benefit Bonei Olam of Greater Washington – Please join us for our inaugural event in the Greater Washington area on Sunday, February 24, at 7:00 PM. Come and learn about a wonderful organization that provides financial assistance for fertility treatments and guides couples through the process. No cost to attend. Go to https://www.boneiolam.org/rsvp_greaterwash to learn more and to RSVP. Refreshments, appetizers and desserts will be served (Pareve and meat). Email email@example.com with any questions. We look forward to seeing you there!
IZUN Financial Education Community Workshop – Sunday, February 24, 10:00 AM – noon, at YISE. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances. Our experienced financial educator, Mrs. Laurie Cohen, will discuss key issues relating to budgeting, insurance, home ownership and more. Dr. Michael Kaiser will present tips on talking to your spouse about finances. Babysitting available – please email firstname.lastname@example.org before February 18.
Mike Stern: True Tales from One of Our Own – Join AMIT and Mike Stern, former Supervisory Special Agent with the FBI, as he talks about his experiences both at home and while in service in Israel. March 2, 7:30 PM. $18 per person, sponsorship opportunities available. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/midatlantic to register for this exciting event. Refreshments will be served.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Support Group for Women Who Are Caregivers – The Golden Network is forming a new support group for women that are caregivers .This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301-732-1773 or email@example.com, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Esther Dziadek email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 10 Monday February 11 Tuesday February 12 Wednesday February 13 Thursday February 14 Friday February 15
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:25 5:25 / 7:30 5:25 / 7:30 5:25 / 7:30 5:25 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:12 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 15 – 16, 2019 – 11 Adar I 5779
Light Candles by 5:27 – Havdalah 6:27
* Light Candles by 5:27
Ashkenazi: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:25 Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:27
Sunday, February 10 Rabbi Walter, "The Making of a Minhag", 9:30 AM
Friday, February 15 Ruach Minyan, 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 16 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, February 20 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:15 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 13 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager