Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 20-21, 2015 – 2 Adar 5775 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:32 – Havdalah 6:32
* Light Candles by 5:32
Arcola: 5:35, Ruach University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:30 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:32
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Judy & Stuart Rosenthal in memory of Leonard Rosenthal on his first Yahrzeit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola – a review of the Halachos of Purim.
* Shulamith & David Lesnoy on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Zanvy. Mazal Tov to siblings Charne, Deena, Yaakov and Ariella, to grandparents Feigy & Rabbi Tuvia Grauman and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of their second great-grandson, a second son to Yael & Ari Horovitz and brother to Natan of Modiin. Proud grandparents are Tzippy (Spiro) & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh.
Coming Soon: New Family Minyan
YISE is hoping to periodically hold a new family Minyan on Shabbos mornings. The Minyan will be geared in a variety of ways for children in grades K through 4, but will still be a full Davening for their parents. The first trial week will be Shabbos, February 28 at 9:10 AM in the Small Social Hall. For questions, please contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Shabbos, the Youth Minyan will be leading the 8:45 Minyan.
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Family Ruach Minyan – This Friday, February 20, at 5:35 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
NEXT WEEKEND: February 27-28: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dr. Aaron Adler: Chairman of the World Congress of Mizrachi Rabbis, President of Yeshivat Bnei Akiva Ner Tamid, Rabbi Emeritus of Neve Orot Community Synagogue in Ramot Aleph. In conjunction with the World Zionist Congress elections.
* Friday night, 8:45 PM: Individuality in a Family Context
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis: Identifying the Modern-day Amalek
* Between Mincha / Maariv: The Eretz Yisrael Component in the Purim Story
* Motzei Shabbos, 8:45 PM: Rabbi Adler will introduce the film, "Beneath the Helmet," which will be shown in the Beit Medrash, followed by voting in the WZC Elections.
NEXT WEEKEND: Final Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, February 28, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM (note new time) at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Dedicate a YISE Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication of the last two recently installed stained-glass windows. The cost is only $36 per ticket. The drawing will take place at YISE on April 15. All tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM Tuesday, April 14. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. To order tickets, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a check payable to "YISE" marked "window raffle" or to pay for your tickets by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Be part of Global Good Deeds Day and join us in an event on Sunday, March 15 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM:
* Clowning and Parade Event – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, Berman Hebrew Academy, Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah, and Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation at The Hebrew Home 6121 Montrose Road, Rockville, MD 20852. Meet at 1:00 PM in the lobby. Bring your funny hats and costumes and make the residents smile. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Limited to 15 volunteers. To sign up, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
* Park Cleanup at the Kemp Mill Park and Sligo Creek Park – Join YISE, Berman Hebrew Academy, Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah, and Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Megillas Esther with commentary of the Vilna Gaon with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Lag Ba'Omer Bonfire and Climbing at The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring – Early bird registration will close by February 26. Please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, March 1
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller, Steve Resnick, and Youth Honorees:
Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or email@example.com The reservation deadline has been extended to February 22 and the Journal deadline is February 22.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Rabbi Yitzchak Scher will give his Shiur on Megillas Esther with commentary of the Vilna Gaon at the Tuesday night BMZG program through Purim.
A Pre-Purim Kumzits for Women – Back by popular demand! Please join us for a nice, relaxing, spiritually uplifting evening just for women. Saturday night, February 21, 8:00 PM, at the home of Nancy & Pesach Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Light refreshments will be served.
Purim Extravaganza – Join the YISE and KMS youth departments for a community wide Purim celebration on March 1, 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon in the KMS Social Hall for Hamantaschen baking, carnival games, inflatables, mask making, Purim storytime, and a sing-along. $6.00 per person (children 2 and older), $18 per family max.
Rav Ahron Lopiansky will give a Purim Shiur open to men and women on Monday, March 2 at 8:00 PM. YISE Small Social Hall. Followed by Maariv.
GWCK Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik Purim Learning Extravaganza – Join the Kollel on Purim morning, Thursday, March 5, for a half hour of learning and fun, with prizes, raffles, and refreshments! For men and boys, 5 and up, at the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Dr.), following the 8:00 Minyan (approximately 9:45 AM).
Fourteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 5 at 10:30 AM in the G Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM. Please note new location.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim cards for only $2.50 each. Contact: Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers also needed to Lein the Megillah. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or call (301) 593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate online at www.yehudamondfoundation.org or mail to 812 Hyde Court.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
The Shabbos Goy: The Concept and the Halachah – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah presents a community Yom Iyun for men. Sunday, February 22, Davening at 8:00 AM, Breakfast at 9:00 AM and the Program at 9:30 AM. YGW Boys Campus. For questions contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Help! Balancing Sibling Relationships Between High and Low(er) Maintenance Children – Presented by SULAM, with speaker Avidan Milevsky, PhD, clinician, author and researcher on sibling relationships. In honor of Jewish Disability Awareness Month. Sunday, February 22, at YISE Social Hall, 7:45 PM. Admission is free. For more information, please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pre-Pesach Boutique in Kemp Mill – Sunday, March 8, at YISE, 11:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Some popular vendors to look forward to seeing: Polka Dots, E-Jeweled, Jewelry by the Strand, Lula Roe Fashions, Just Suits, Pampered Chef, Lena Wigs and more. There will be shells, hats, scarves, jewelry and art. Sponsored by the PTSO of YGW.
The Maccabeats are Coming Back, with Special Guest The Amazing Orthobox Beatboxing Phenomenon! Ohr Chadash Academy concert honoring Amian & Yossi Kelemer. VIP reception prior to the concert for sponsorships of $360 and up. March 8 at 3:00 PM, Beth Tfiloh Sagner Auditorium. Tickets are $20/$36 with sponsorships available. Visit www.ocaconcert.com to make your purchase or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
The Ultimate Kindness – Chevra Kadisha is called the ultimate good deed, Chesed Shel Emet, as the recipient cannot return the favor. The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot. Opportunities are available daily and volunteers from throughout the region are welcome. For more information or to volunteer, contact: For Women's Division – Devorah Grayson, 202-438-7060. For Men's Division: (301) 593-1193 or email@example.com
The Golden Network has expanded its services to offer home-based musical performances to Seniors. TGN also offers a variety of other programs, including classes, lectures, one on one learning and friendship visits in Montgomery County. For more information contact (301)338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Assist Events:
* Accounting Issues for Small Business – Free workshop featuring Sharon Samuels. Monday, February 23, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM. KMS. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Job Search for 50+ – Polish your resume, networking, and interviewing skills through 5 days of classroom training. Next session begins February 23 in Rockville. For info, email egreenberg@AccessJCA.org
* Computer Training Online – Recorded courses on Access, SQL, and PowerPoint start on February 27. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 22 Monday, February 23 Tuesday, February 24 Wednesday, February 25 Thursday, February 26 Friday, February 27
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:58AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
February 27-28, 2015 – 9 Adar 5775
Parshas Tetzaveh – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:40 – Havdalah 6:40
* Light Candles by 5:40
Arcola: 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:10 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:30 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:40
Shabbos, February 27-28 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dr. Aaron Adler – In conjunction with the World Zionist Congress elections.
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 28 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Like YISE on Facebook:
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 25 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director