Parashas Terumah – February 16-17, 2018
Download the February 16-17, 2018 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 16 – 17, 2018 – 2 Adar 5778 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:28 – Havdalah 6:29
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the engagement of their granddaughter, Rivki Waidenbaum, daughter of Libby Waidenbaum, of Brooklyn, NY, to Eliyahu Landman, son of Devorah & Yosef Landman of Brooklyn, NY.
* Light Candles by 5:28
Ashkenazi: 5:30, Ruach Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:25 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:29
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Nancy Karkowsky in memory of loving husband, father and zayde, Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L, and in honor of their wonderful children and grandchildren.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter will not take place this week.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Devorah Rivka & Rabbi Dovid Shafran and Lisa & Joel Straus.
MEOR Ruach Minyan – Friday, February 16, at 5:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. We welcome MEOR, who will add Ruach and explanation during the Davening. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information please contact Rabbi Koretzky at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 17, 7:30 PM, Social Hall. Sponsored by Dov & Aliza Chodoff and Rabbi Barry & Debby Greengart. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 21, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Purim Celebration with Shomrai Preschool!
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 2: Sunday, February 25 (changed from original date), 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Scholar-in-Residence – Mark your calendar for the next Scholar-in-Residence – March 2-3 with Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig. Schedule includes:
* Shabbos dinner, $24/adult, $10/child (3-15), details at www.yise.org/dinner RSVP by February 23.
* Friday at 8:00 PM, Prof. Rosensweig "Megilat Esther: Writing the Past into the Future"
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan ¡V Rabbi Dr. Rosensweig, "Means and Ends in the Pursuit of Personal and Communal Kedusha" *Kiddush Follows*
* 4:30 PM For Women Only, Hosted by the Broder Family, 11801 Clintwood Place, Prof. Rosensweig, "Women and Geulah: A Pre-Pesach Primer"
* Between Mincha and Maariv ¡V Rabbi Dr. Rosensweig, "Why is Hallel on Pesach So Unique?"
Sushi and Speed Dating – Join YISE for sushi making with Shushy Turin, followed by speed dating. For singles aged 22-35. Sunday March 11, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Cost: $25. RSVP required by March 4, 2018 at www.yise.org/sushi *Events for other age groups will be organized if there is sufficient interest. To express interest in programming for your age group, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Membership Directory ¡V The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
YISE Facility Updates
Please do not walk through or go into the Social Hall on Sunday, February 18, as we are cleaning and waxing the floors.
Watch this space for information on more facility updates, coming soon!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Judy & Zevi Mehlman and family in memory of the 2nd Yahrzeit of Judy's mother, Muriel Alexander, Miriam Kayla bas R' Ber.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan Location: youth room behind the Balcony 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM Location: Yeshiva; walking group leaves at 10:00 AM Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside Social Hall Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Purim Carnival – YISE and KMS invite the families in our community to join us, Sunday, February 25, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE. Purim story 11:00 AM, Sing-along 11:30 AM. Games & prizes! Inflatables! Face Painting! Crafts & more! $5 per person, family max. $25, pizza $3 per slice.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402
Purim Cards for Yad Yehuda available now for $3 each. To purchase cards, contact Menucha Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Purim Cards available for $3 each, 10 for $25, premium cards $4. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Donna Goldman, 301-962-5111 ext. 1552 for details.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
17th Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod, Raizel bas Simcha, on Purim, Thursday, March 1, at 10:30 AM at 1111 University Blvd West, Penthouse Level Party Room. The shiur ends by 11:00 AM. * Please note new location!
GWCK Purim Learning – This Purim, bring your sons to continue the legacy of Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik! Participate in a half hour of learning, with prizes, raffles, and refreshments. At the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Dr.), following the 8:00 Shacharis (approximately 9:45 AM). For men and boys ages 5 and up.
Purim Pasta Groggers – The Capital Kosher Pantry and Adam Bashein are excited about working together to collect food for our Jewish brothers and sisters in the Greater Washington community through our annual Purim Pasta and Grains Grogger program. This year, we are widening the collection to donations of pasta, rice, cereals, and any other kosher foods in non-breakable, shelf stable, within the use-by-date containers. Please bring items to Megillah reading. You can shake them every time you hear "Haman" and then place the items in the Kosher Food Pantry bins located in the Shul lobby.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington ¡V which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation ¡V donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Vaad Mashgichim The R.C.G.W. is hiring Mashgichim. Training will be given to qualified candidates. Candidates should be fully Shomer Shabbos and Kashrus. Contact Rabbi Zvi Holland email@example.com or Rabbi Moshe Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 17, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
Not that Kind of Doctor: Viruses, DNA, and the PhD Process – by Dr. Avigayil Druck Shudofsky, with Torah Insights by Mrs. Rachelle Reingold. Ma rabu ma'asecha …Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations, Community science lecture series, Sunday, February 18, 12:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus 1216 Arcola Ave. For more info. Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Presidents' Day Shiur for Men – "Practical Halachos of Opening Food Containers on Shabbos: Cans, Soda Bottles, Bags, Yogurts, Cartons, and Boxes" with Rabbi Binyamin Samber, Kollel Zichron Amram. Monday, February 19. Shiur begins at 9:30am. Light refreshments will be served. YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Second Chances? Bankruptcy in Jewish Law – Rockville Lunch and Learn at BECO with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Wednesday, February 21, 12:45 PM – 1:30 PM. Complimentary lunch will be served. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mikvah Meeting – Join The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington Board of Directors at its membership meeting on Sunday, February 25, at 8:00 PM at KMS, downstairs in the Youth Beit Midrash. Rabbi Rosenbaum will address the membership, on the topic of "Finding Perfect Purity in an Imperfect World."
Pre-Pesach Boutique – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Pesach Boutique at YISE, Sunday, March 18, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Hats, jewelry, serving accessories, clothing, hair accessories, makeup, sheitels, pottery and more. Raffle and light refreshments. For more info., contact Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or email@example.com
Kidney Update – A few weeks ago, an appeal was made for a person in need of a kidney donation. Baruch Hashem, a donor has been found. Thanks to everyone who inquired about being a donor and a special thanks to the five members of the Kemp Mill community who signed up to be tested.
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 18 Monday, Feb. 19 – Presidents Day Tuesday February 20 Wednesday February 21 Thursday February 22 Friday February 23
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 5:35 5:35 5:35 / 7:30 5:35 / 7:30 5:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:03 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 23 – 24, 2018 – 9 Adar 5778
Parshas Tetzaveh, Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:36 – Havdalah 6:36
* Light Candles by 5:36
Ashkenazi: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:36
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 17 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, February 21 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, February 24 Bar Mitzvah of Eli Shimoff, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, February 25 Purim Carnival, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 25 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, March 2-3 Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig
Sunday, March 11 Sushi and Speed Dating, 6:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager