Download the February 15-16 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 15-16, 2013 – 6 Adar 5773 – Parshas Terumah
Light Candles by 5:27 – Havdalah 6:28
* Light Candles by 5:27
* Mincha 5:25 (Sephardi), 5:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:10 (Sephardi), 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:28
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Lisa & Matt Solomson in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Noach Shmuel.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:55 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
See the attached Taanis Esther and Purim Schedule
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing others harm or to sin." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie Bassan & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Aryeh Broth, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Yehudah Mehlman, Yehuda Rudack, Esther Widitor
* Mrs. Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her grandson, Boruch Anemer, son of Rabbi & Mrs. Yisroel Anemer, to Chani Liebenstein of Chicago.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the engagement of their granddaughter Avigayil Ginsburg, daughter of Shulamit & Rabbi David Ginsburg of Columbus, Ohio, to Menachem Rapp of Lawrence, NY. Mazal Tov also to Uncle Raph, Uncle Yale, Aunt Sahra, and the entire Ginsburg family.
* Debi & Max Rudmann on the birth of a grandson to their children, Elyse & Haim Gabay. Mazal Tov also to big brother, Eli, and grandparents Larry Paine, Lois & Ray Bernzweig, and Shmuel Gabay, and to the entire Mishpacha. The Shalom Zachor will be held in the G-Level Party Room of 1111 University Blvd. West, at 8:30 PM.
* Lisa & Matt Solomson on the the Bar Mitzvah of thei son, Noach Shmuel. Mazal Tov to his sisters Hadassah and Miri and to the grandparents, Fern & Ron Solomson and Joan & Eliezer Entel.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos at 7:15 PM in Arcola social hall and open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lot of fun! This week is sponsored by the Grayson family.
Together for 5 – The daily e-mail Shiur program B"H is going strong with over 150 subscribers! Join the first series and be prepared with Halachos & ideas of Purim. Catch up anytime with archived Shiurim. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
YISE Sisterhood Membership Brunch and Jewelry Workshop – scheduled for this Sunday HAS BEEN POSTPONED due to extenuating circumstances. New date to be announced shortly.
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer Z"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria- Metzorah. The Adult Education Committee has divided the Tanach into 133 sections. To register for a particular section visit the YISE website (www.yise.org/siyum) or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Community Service Day – Join us on Sunday, Feb. 17 from 12 noon – 2:00 PM. Limited to 20 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman email@example.com. Volunteer at A Wider Circle (distribution center) – 9159 Brookville Road, 301-608-3504. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. Sponsored by the YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA.
Job Assist Events:
* Accounting Issues for Small Business and Startups – featuring Sharon Samuels. Wed, Feb 20, 7:45 -9:15 PM, YISE, Arcola Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* LinkedIn for Intermediate Users – Wed, Feb 20, 1:00-2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* 2-Day Job Search Boot Camp – Intense coverage of networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Wed-Thu, Mar 6-7, 9 AM-4 PM. Free (normally $50). 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Steve, Miriam, Matan, and Merav Friedman in honor of Edan's Bar Mitzvah.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds -meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade – WILL NOT MEET THIS WEEK; Boys 1st-4th grade – gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
SEE THE ATTACHED FLYER FOR THE YISE YOUTH FAMILY PURIM CELEBRATION AND CARNIVAL.
Like YISE on Facebook:
Community Programs and Listings
1st Grade Girls' Shabbos Group will meet on February 16 at the home of Chani Namrow, 6 Fulham Ct, from 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM.
KMS Special Needs Committee presents a screening of "Silent Games" and a concurrent handson workshop for 4th graders through High Schoolstudents on Saturday, February 16, at 7:00 PM.
The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold- "Kol Isha: A Review of the Sources" – Monday, February 18. Presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information:Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Bringing Simchas HaChaim Into Our Homes – with Shifra Rabenstein. Tuesday, February 19, at 8:00 PM, Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Shifra Rabenstein, will be the first featured speaker for the Women's Torah Lecture Series sponsored by the Dickstein Family inMemory of Rabbi Leonard Dickstein, Z"L.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specially marked "Matanos Laevyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehudah Mond Foundation, which assists individuals and families in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, by calling 443-539-1465, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Od Yosef Chai – provides needed funds to the poor in Israel on Purim day. If you are interested, please contact Yonah Soskin at 301-754-0198. Checks can be delivered to 803 Lamberton Drive.
YISE Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community children by ordering our beautiful full color cards featuring our very own students! Contact email@example.com and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards are available for pickup from Shul office or YISE Nursery.
Special Purim Shiur for men and women by Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky – "Amalek: Sinah and Cynicism"- Tuesday, February 19, 8:00 PM at YISE. Presented by the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah of YISE and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
The Twelfth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, February 24 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1121 University Blvd W. (University Towers). The shiur ends by 11:00.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim cards for $2 each. Proceeds help fund AMIT projects in Israel. Please contact either Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773.
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has written his third book in a series dealing with the Jewish Holidays. This book is about Purim and is written in English. Please contact Raph Ginsburg at Raphael.Ginsburg@verizon.net if you'd like to purchase a copy.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read? We also need volunteers to lehn Megillah, to ensure that no one misses out because of inability to get to shul, due to illness, infirmity or other reason. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Support Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington programming by purchasing cards designed by local students. Cards are $2.50 each and can be ordered by phone at 202 331-4481, by email email@example.com, on our website www.bikurcholimgw.org or at the Kosher Pastry Oven.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 17 Monday, Feb 18 Presidents' Day Tuesday, February 19 Wednesday, February 20 Thursday, Feb. 21 Taanis Esther Friday, February 22
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 * 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:10 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:00 6:15
Mincha / Maariv
Arcola 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 1:00, 5:15 / 6:05 See Shabbos schedule
University 5:35 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 5:15 / 6:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
* All three Arcola Ashkenazi Minyanim on Monday morning, February 18, Presidents' Day, will take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
February 22-23, 2013 – 13 Adar 5773
Parshas Tetzaveh – Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 5:35 – Havdalah 6:35
* Light Candles by 5:35
* Mincha 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:35 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:15 (Sephardi), 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:35 – followed by Megilla Reading (See Purim Schedule)
Shabbos, Feb. 16 Bar Mitzvah of Noach Solomson
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 16 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, Feb. 18 Man with the Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 20, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Tuesday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director
YISE Purim Schedule 5773/2013
Taanis Esther – Thursday February 21
Fast Begins 5:32am
Earliest Talis/Tefilin 5:59am
Shacharis: Sephardi 6:00am
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35am/7:35am
Arcola – Beis Medrash 8:30am
Mincha: Early – Arcola 1:00pm
Arcola & University 5:15pm
Maariv: Arcola & University 6:05pm
Fast Ends 6:33pm
Purim Night – Motzai Shabbos February 23
Shabbos Ends/Maariv 6:35pm
People who have not yet davened Maariv should make sure to say "Baruch hamavdil bein kodesh lechol" once Shabbos is over before changing into costumes or driving to shul.
Havdalah is normally made after Megillah reading.
Megillah: Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary, Sephardi and University 7:15pm
Maariv/Megillah: Youth/Family Celebration – Arcola Social Hall 7:15pm
Megillah Only: Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 9:30pm
Purim Day – Sunday February 24
Shacharis/Megillah: Sephardi 7:30am
Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30am/7:30am/9:00am
Megillah Only – Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary 11:00am
Purim Carnival – Arcola Social Hall 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Mincha: Arcola 1:00pm/4:30pm
Maariv: Arcola 7:00pm/8:30pm
The YISE Youth Department Invites Parents and Children of All Ages To Our Annual
FAMILY PURIM CELEBRATION and CARNIVAL
* Exciting Carnival Games
* Cool Prizes
* Cotton Candy
* And LOTS of FUN!!
Sunday, February 24th
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah Social Hall
1132 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring
Festivities begin at 1:00pm
Games, cotton candy, and popcorn
Tickets cost 50 cents each
Or $5 for all-Inclusive per child
To purchase tickets in advance or if you would like to sponsor this or other youth events,
Contact: Avi Litwack, alitwack@yise. org, 301-576-3284