Download the April 12-13 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 12-13, 2013 – 3 Iyar 5773 – Parshas Tazria / Metzora
Light Candles by 7:24 (and not before 6:21) – Havdalah 8:25
* Light Candles by 7:24, and not before 6:21
* Mincha 6:30, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:25
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 (Arcola and Sephardi), 7:20 (Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:25
* 8:00 and 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur at University after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (See full description to the right.)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:15 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we begin the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entraptment" Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings, time TBA.
YISE ANNUAL BANQUET, SUNDAY, APRIL 14
Honorees: Laurie & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Aryeh Broth, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Yehudah Mehlman, Yehudah Rudack, Esther Widitor.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Like YISE on Facebook:
* Jack Mehlman on the birth of a grandson to his children Miriam & Dovid Cohen, of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to all the siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Lili & Allen Zemon on the engagement of their son, David, to Betsy Priskman, daughter of Sharon & Robert Priskman of Chicago.
* Stuart Cohen on the passing of his mother, Roberta Cohen. Funeral and Shiva were held last week.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Adult Education Committee Invites You to the Third Annual Siyum Tanach Commemorating the Yahrzeit of Rav Gedaliah Anemer ZT"L, this Shabbos, April 13 with a Seudah Shlishit. A community-wide completion of learning Tanach, as well as a siyum on Mesechet Shabbos. The Seudah will take place in the Arcola Social Hall after the 7:00 Mincha Minyanim. Please help defray the cost of this community-wide event by being a sponsor. (Suggested contribution $36.) Call the YISE office at 301-593-4465 ext. 403 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor.
The 5773 Summer Session Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah runs through July 2 on Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM with Mincha at 7:45 PM. Classes and instructors: Machshava [Jewish Thought] by Rabbi Y. Scher; Gemara Sukkah by Rabbi Nochum Schwartz; Mishna Berurah by Rabbi Eli Reingold; Advanced Gemara Topics by Rabbi M.C. Blate. Chavrusas always available. Special sessions for men and women: Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky, April 23 – Lag B'Omer; Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky, May 7 – Shavuos; Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky, July 2 – The Three Weeks. YISE Social Hall. This program is L'Zecher Nishmas HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. A program of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
YISE and the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington invite you to a presentation by Rabbi Eytan Feiner, Rav, Congregation Kneseth Israel (the White Shul) in Far Rockaway, NY, on "Aquatic Perfection: The Mitzvah of Mikvah, and the Wild World of Water." Sunday, April 21 at 7:30 PM at YISE. There will be a special Mincha at 7:10 preceding the lecture.
UPDATED List of Stores Where Chometz May Be Purchased Immediately After Pesach: All establishments under Capitol-K supervision and BJ's, CVS, Brookville Market, Costco, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, K-Mart, H-Mart – Han Ah Rum, MOM's, Petco, Petsmart, Rite-Aid, Royal Farms, Potomac Wine and Spirits, Sam's Discount Warehouse, Shoppers Food Warehouse, ShopRite, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegman's, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie. Please note that CHOMETZ CANNOT BE PURCHASED AT GIANT, SAFEWAY, OR TARGET immediately after Pesach as the distributor who supplies these stores is Jewish. Chometz may be purchased from these stores beginning April 28. There are other stores that are still under investigation; we will inform you as soon as we clarify their status. Anyone with questions about specific stores or products is welcome to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Earth Day – Fun Chesed opportunity cosponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. In conjunction with Friends of Sligo Creek, clean up the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park/Sligo Park on Sunday, April 21, anytime between 1:00 PM-3:00 PM. Gloves, bags, and tomato plant seeds will be distributed near the steps. Upper School students may receive Community Service hours. Great for all ages! For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
National Council of Young Israel / YISE present Springtime in Silver Spring, a Shabbaton for Singles (ages 35-55), April 26-28. Early registration deadline is April 14. Shabbaton features: Home hospitality, gourmet catered meals, speed dating and other interactive activities. Shabbos meals, Melava Malka and Sunday brunch. For more information visit www.yise.org or contact Rebbetzin Judi Steinig at jsteinig@youngisrael. org or 212-929-1525 x112. Please contact Sharon Augenbaum at 301-593-2336 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to host (sleeping only) for this event.
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn II (Intermediate) – Wednesday, April 17, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* Interview Skills – Harvey Kramer will explain how to sharpen your skills and answer tough questions. Monday, April 29, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall, YISE. To register, DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei will be meeting from 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. If you're interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
The Adult (Bar Mitzvah and up) Softball Season meets on Sundays at 10:00 AM at the Colesville Rec Center. We could really use a good turnout. If you are interested please contact Ira Thompson at 240-997-4209 or email@example.com.
The Yeshiva of Greater Washington invites the Community to join with its students in a Men's Learning Program L'Zecher Nishmas our Rav and Rosh Hayeshiva, Moreinu HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, on Sunday, April 14, 4 Iyar. Davening at 7:30 AM. Chavrusa learning at 9:30 AM. Shiur by Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky at 10:30 AM on "Brachos under the Chupah" Kesubos 7b. Followed by Divrei Zicharon [Words of Remembrance] by Rabbi David Hyatt at 11:15 AM. Yeshiva Boys Campus. Light refreshments after Davening. For more information please call R' Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392. Source sheets for the Shiur can be found at www.yeshiva.edu.
MJBHA Annual Yom Hazikaron/Yom Ha'atzmaut Community Wide Celebration – Monday, April 15, Mincha at 6:45 PM, Main ceremony at 7:15 PM at MJBHA.
The Tehillim for Shidduchim Group is back up and running at SEHC on Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Tehillim may be said in your choice of English or Hebrew, with each person saying it silently to themselves. Contact Jan Moses or Helene Goodman for more information.
Please save your long flowing locks for Zichron Menachem to help make wigs for young cancer patients. This year's Zichron Menachem hair raising event has grown even bigger! There are 3 options, all at reputable salons in the area on Sunday, April 28, Monday, May 20 and Tuesday, May 21. Make your appointment today! For further information or to make an appointment email Nancy Mehlman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, phone number and email. Please include approximately when you want to come to get your hair cut and we will try to schedule as close to that time as possible.
The Greater Washington Community Kollel's Spring Semester begins on Sunday, April 14. Learn about our many exciting classes and programs at www.gwckollel.com or info@ gwckollel.com.
Good Riddance – Montgomery County is holding an Electronics Recycling Day on Sunday, April 21. To make it easy and convenient for you to dispose of your unwanted electronics, just bring them to Evonne Marzouk (908 Brentwood) or Ellen Haber (1209 N. Belgrade) between April 12 – April 19 and place them in the box on Evonne's or Ellen's porch. We'll take it from there!
Greater Washington Community Kollel (GWCK) Legacy Dinner for Rabbi Kalman Winter ZT"L on Sunday evening, May 5, at Beth Sholom. For dinner reservations and ad journal opportunities, please see www.GWCKLegacyDinner.adjournal.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 14 Monday, April 15 Tuesday, April 16 Wednesday, April 17 Thursday, April 18 Friday, April 129
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos Schedule
University 7:30 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
* Tuesday, April 16 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut – the Early Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions. All the rest of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times.
April 19-20, 2013 – 10 Iyar 5773
Parshas Acharei Mos / Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:31 – Havdalah 8:33
* Light Candles by 7:31, and not before 6:26
* Mincha 6:15, 6:45, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:35
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 (Sephardi), 7:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:33
Shabbos, April 13 Third Annual Siyum Tanach
Sunday, April 14 YISE Annual Banquet, 6:00 PM
Wednesday, April 17 Senior Lunch, Arcola at 12 Noon
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 17, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director