Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 28-29 2017 – 3 Iyar 5777 – Parshas Tazria – Metzora
Light Candles by 7:40 (and not before 6:33) – Havdalah 8:43
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Rachel & Michael Harris on the marriage of their daughter, Ayala, to Isaac Pearl, son of David Pearl. Mazal Tov to grandparents, siblings, and to the extended Harris and Pearl families.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the engagement of their grandson, Moshe Tzvi Strauss, son of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, NY, to Basya Stern, daughter of Rochel Leah & Rabbi Yosef Stern of Brooklyn.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the marriage of their granddaughter, Michal Lefkowitz, daughter of Rebecca & Yitzchak Lefkowitz, to Yossi Marchette, of Boston.
* Dr. Jack Rutner on his recent marriage to Wendee White.
* Mindy & Richard Swedarsky, and to the siblings Adir and Chaya, on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal tov to the extended Swedarsky and Lane families. The Shalom Zachor will be held at the Swedarsky residence, 1118 Kersey Road at 9:00 PM.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the engagement of their granddaughter, Nechama Zimbalist, daughter of Sara & Simmy Zimbalist of Beit Shemesh, to Yaakov Wolff, son of Tzippy & Josh Wolff of Beit Shemesh.
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos this Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzora after Mincha.
In addition, we need volunteers at 6:00 PM to help set up, and we need volunteers to help clean up. Please contact Barbara Price at email@example.com to offer your services.
* Light Candles by 7:40, and not before 6:33
Arcola: 6:20, 6:40, 7:40 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 University: 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:43
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner in honor of their recent marriage.
* Sephardi Minyan – Liora Dahan in memory of her mother Marsia Bat Nesy, David Mordechai in memory of his father Shaul Chaim Ben Ahuva Chaviva, Shulla Ellul in memory of her Father Eliyahu Ben Sulika and her brother Meir Ben Chasiba, and by Gillian and Mimi Weinberg in celebration of Usher's 40th birthday.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Harriet & Ernie Brodsky and Melissa & Chad Miller in memory of Harriet's mother Mary Hytken Dumont (Malka Bas Chaya), on her fourth Yahrzeit on 2 Iyar; and by Rachel & Michael Harris in honor of the marriage of their daughter, Ayala to Isaac Pearl.
* 9:15 Minyan – The Koffs L'ilui Nishmas Tzvi Aaron Ben Chaim Yakov, Binyomin Koff's father.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate – Shiur at 6:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Megillas Rus. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Makkos, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, on Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Designer Genes and Halacha – DNA research now allows health care to be guided by your genetic profile. What does Halacha say about genetic engineering and the resultant outcomes? Panel: Rosh Ha-Yeshiva Rabbi A. Lopiansky, biology professor J. Golin, and researcher/allergist-immunologist J. Milner. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Cong. Minchas Yitzchok. Sunday, April 30, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, Small Social Hall.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 1, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Improve your Kavanah – Rabbi Hirsh Chinn will explain the origins and meanings of the short "prayers before we pray" we find in the Siddur: the Y'hi Ratzons, Hineni Muchans, and the like. NEW DATE AND TIME: Tuesday, May 2, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM, YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. Free and open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
YISE Art Auction – Sunday, May 7. Preview: 7:00 PM, Auction: 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Light refreshments will be served. UPDATE: Art Auction Promotion! With each admission ticket, you will receive a $10 coupon towards any art purchased. Advance admission tickets: $12 per person, $20 per couple. Admission at the door: $15 per person, $25 per couple. For more information, contact: Elaine Rubin: firstname.lastname@example.org Sammy Franco: email@example.com or Simi Franco: firstname.lastname@example.org To register for free babysitting, contact Elaine Rubin: email@example.com Tickets may be purchased via PayPal at: www.yise.org/auction or send a check to the YISE office marked "Art Auction."
The Jewish Foundation for Group Homes has a Jewish group home near Kemp Mill which houses adults with disabilities. YISE would like to develop a relationship with these residents. The goal is to include them in our community activities and make them a part of our Shul family. If you are interested in participating in this wonderful undertaking, please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Let's be safe at YISE!
Please help keep YISE a safe environment and accessible Shul for all ages. Please be careful opening the doors to avoid accidental injury to those on the other side of the door. Also, please be considerate and place any strollers or wheelchairs outside of the Shul lobby to ensure the area is accessible to all congregants.
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, May 21
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
Youth Honorees: Miriam Hillman, Leora Landy, Yehoshua Mehlman, Yael Miller, Penina Rubin
RSVP and place your ads Now!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
Help Wanted: Preschool Lead Teacher
Shomrai Nursery, is hiring a preschool Lead Teacher for the two year old and three year old classes for the 2017-2018 school year. Shomrai Nursery provides a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. Our educators offer investigations based on emerging interests and hands on experiences. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development and are looking for educators who are thoughtful about how they support this development, as well as children's development in the other domains; language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical (both fine motor and gross motor) skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a bachelors or higher degree in Early Childhood Education, knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students' curiosity and wonder.
Send resumes to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
New Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 29 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Chabad of Silver Spring invites the entire community to hear a lecture each Shabbos between Pesach and Shavuos from a different Kemp Mill Rabbi, from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Chabad. This Shabbos the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Lopiansky, Yeshiva of Greater Washington.
Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill this Shabbos, April 28-29. In addition to various talks at KMS she is speaking at 5:30 PM on Shabbos at the home of Melanie Fleisher, 603 Hermleigh Road, for women only with Dr. Dee Dee Shiller, GYN. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a time to speak with Bracha privately when she is here, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or Naomi Carmel at email@example.com
New Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join the over 100 daily listeners, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Siyum Tanakh and Azkara – Please join the Haramati family in memory of Rabbi Amnon Haramati, Z"L , Motzei Shabbos, April 29, 9:15 PM – 10:30 PM. The Memorial and Siyum will take place at KMS followed by a light collation. Visit: https://goo.gl/xprZZ1 If you have any questions or issues, please contact email@example.com
Annual Yom Ha'Zikaron/Yom Ha'atzmaut Celebration – Celebrating Israel's 69 years of Independence, Monday, May 1, Berman Hebrew Academy. Mincha 7:00 PM, Ceremony 7:15 PM, Ma'ariv followed by music, dancing and celebration 8:30 PM . A light dinner will be served. Suggested donation $10 ($30 family max).
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Drug Discovery: A New Era of Cancer Therapy – Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations with Dr. Shana Frankel Posy (YGW '98) of Bristol-Myers Squibb with Torah Insights by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. The community is invited to join us for our final lecture in this year's series on Sunday, May 7, 12:30 PM – Mincha following. At the YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to help connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! In partnership with the Bender JCC, LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together in a one-on-one format whereby a mentor can share his or her Jewish knowledge with a seeking participant. LINKS begins on Wednesday, May 17 at the Bender JCC, Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or email@example.com
Berman Hebrew Academy 73rd Anniversary Celebration, Yom Yerushalayim Dinner and Interactive Experience – Wednesday, May 24, 7:15 PM. Honoring Drs. Josh and Lisi Levisohn. RSVP at www.mjbha.org/events
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Jobs: "Hiring Freeze Lifted – 5 Steps to Take Now." Free webinar with Corliss Jackson, May 15, 8:00 PM. More info and signup at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
* Questions about this and other workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 30 Monday, May 1 Tuesday, May 2 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut Wednesday, May 3 Thursday, May 4 Friday, May 5
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:14 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
* Tuesday, May 2 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut – the Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions. The other Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 5-6, 2017 – 10 Iyar 5777
Parshas Acharei Mos – Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:47 – Havdalah 8:51
* Light Candles by 7:47, and not before 6:38
Arcola: 6:25, 6:50, 7:50 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 University: 7:45 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:51
Shabbos, April 29 Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer
Monday, May 1 Basic Colors, 12:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Wednesday, May 3 Senior Lunch, 12:00 PM,
Seniors on Stage: Staged Play Readings
Sunday, May 7 YISE Rediscovered Art Auction
Wednesday, May 10 YISE Board Meeting, 8:00 PM
Sunday, May 21 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 3 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager