Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 20 – 21, 2018 – 6 Iyar 5778 – Parshas Tazria/Metzora
Light Candles by 7:32 – Havdalah 8:34
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of Nat Franco's 90th birthday and the State of Israel's 70th birthday!
* Rene & Rami Isser on the birth of a grandson, Daniel Ezra, to Esther & Yonatan Isser of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to Pola & David, Ariel and Eitan, the aunt and uncles.
* Melanie & Sandy Karlin on their children, Shayna & Rabbi Raphael Karlin, receiving a distinguished service award at the 63rd Annual Dinner of Congregation Adath Israel of Elizabeth, NJ. Mazal Tov to Raphael's grandparents, Dolores & Len Schwartz and the entire Karlin family.
* Tzippora Lasdun on her engagement to Etan Kuperberg of Fair Lawn, NJ. Mazal Tov to the Lasdun family and Adrienne & Rabbi Dr. Avi Kuperberg.
* Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner on the graduation of their grandson, Jared Rutner, son of Juliet & Torin Rutner, as valedictorian from Yeshiva College class of 2018. Mazal Tov to Jared's siblings and the entire Mishpachah.
* Jacob Edeson who is recuperating in Holy Cross Hospital. Visitors are welcome.
* Barbara Blaustein and Aron Trombka on the passing of their mother, Elsie Trombka. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva is being observed at the home of Barbara & Michael Blaustein, 1201 North Belgrade Road. Shacharis Sunday at 8:00 AM.
* Light Candles by 7:32, and not before 6:26
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:34
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Miriam & Farrell Bloch in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Gila.
* Sephardi Minyan – Liora Dahan in memory of her mother, Marsia bat Nesy; David Mordehai in memory of his son Shaul Chaim ben Ahuva Chaviva; Shula Elul in memory of her father, Eliyahu ben Sulika, and her brother, Meir ben Chasiba; Luna & Avi Perez in honor of Nat Franco's 90th birthday, Ad Meah V'esrim!
* 8:00 Minyan – Danit & Ari Kanal to thank Hashem for His many Brachos.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Yaffa & Binyomin Koff L'ilui Nishmas Binyomin's father, Tzvi Aaron Ben Chaim Yakov.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
The Eighth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos this Shabbos, April 21, Parshas Tazria-Metzora after Mincha, approximately 7:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays in the room behind the Balcony will start at 8:15 PM on April 25.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. We will begin Maseches Succah on April 25.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, following Mincha/Maariv, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM ¡V 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: On the Same Page with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
* "On The Same Page" at Shomrai! Join this community-wide learning project and study an Amud (Page) of Gemara each week with others across the community! Learning options that fit YOUR lifestyle: Two class options, for men, at YISE: Sundays, 9:45am with Rabbi Menachem Winter and Mondays, 8:15pm with Rabbi H.illel Shaps, plus weekly audio/video lectures and illuminating insights on the Amud delivered directly into your inbox, and more! Beginning Maseches Rosh Hashana Sunday, April 22. For more information or to register visit gwckollel.org/onthesamepage
YISE Programs and Listings
Annual Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – A recording of this year's program is available at yise.org/yomhashoah
Making Tough Medical Decisions. Make more confident health decisions by learning what you need to know from your health practitioner to assess risks and benefits. Learn what Halacha says about "elective" and high-stakes procedures. Listen to dialogue between Dr. Theo Heller, experienced gastroenterologist and researcher, and Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, a specialist in Jewish law and senior lecturer with Greater Washington Community Kollel. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, GWCK, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah & Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, April 22, 10:45 AM – 12:15 PM, in the YISE Small Social Hall.
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 29: Do a mitzvah! Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM! Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Good Deeds Day 2018 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy and NCSY in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Register at www.shalomdc.org/parkcleanupgdd2018 or just show up. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Sponsor Jewish History – YISE and BCGW are looking for sponsors for upcoming Jewish history classes with Rabbi Koss. To sponsor, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Save the date! Sunday, June 10
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside the Social Hall
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730. Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 21, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, April 21, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Yeshiva of Greater Washington. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Yom Iyun – Standing Up for Truth – Condemnation, Condoning, and Flattery in Halacha Must I say the truth no matter what the cost? Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites men of the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday April 29 at YGW Boys Campus. Davening – 8:00 AM, Breakfast – 9:00 AM, Learning starts at 9:30 AM. Sponsored by Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom L'ilui Nishmas Maurice H. Rosenbloom, A"H. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Unveiling of the Matzaiva of Catalina Kirshenbaum will take place at 11:00 AM sharp on Sunday, April 22 at Chevra Ahavas Chesed Cemetery, 9800 Liberty Road, Randallstown, MD 21133.
S.T.E.A.M. [Science-Technology-Engineering-Art-Math] Fair – Sunday, April 22, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM at the YGW Girls Campus Cafeteria. Recognition Ceremony, 3:15 PM. Open to the community – please join us! For further info please contact Mr. Izsak, email@example.com or Mrs. Cortell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-649-7077 ext.1507.
Considering Buying a Home in Israel? Top 10 Things to Know, presented by Gedaliah Borvick – www.myisraelhome.com Sunday evening, April 22 at 8:15 pm at YISE in the Small Social Hall. For more info: email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Yoetzet Halacha – Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill April 27 – 28. She will be speaking after the KMS Youth Minyan on Shabbos morning and at 5:00 PM Shabbos afternoon, for women only, at the home of Sarah Sandberg, 1009 South Belgrade Rd. Please contact Bracha directly if you would like to set up a time to speak with her when she is here: email@example.com and Naomi Carmel with any other questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Safety During the Tahara – Caring for the Living While Caring for the Departed – Men's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington presents a free training session. Open to the entire Jewish Community. Taught by Ms. Ellie Barbarash, MS, CPEA. Sunday, April 29, 9:30 AM – Noon at KMS. Learn the risks of injury, infection and disease attendant to performing a Tahara and learn how to protect yourself against the risks. Note: This training will not cover when or how to perform a Tahara. Reservations requested but not required. If you plan to attend or if you have any questions, contact email@example.com
Lag B'omer Celebration – Thursday, May 3, 5:15 PM – 7:15 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. BBQ, games, moon bounce, music and treats – fun for children and adults of all ages. Food will be available for sale, preorders accepted at www.mjbha.org
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on Thursday, May 3, Lag Ba'omer, at Style Salon and again the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
"The Q" Trivia with NCSY – Join Greater Washington NCSY and the Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, May 6th for a fun night out to support NCSY! RSVP today at atsncsy.org/q or by calling (410)358-6279 or by emailing email@example.com
Berman Hebrew Academy's 74th Anniversary Celebration honoring Debra Panitch and Bob & Pat Hynes. Thursday, May 24 at 7:15 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. To RSVP visit www.mjbha.org/events For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chometz after Pesach
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2018:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
Chometz may only be purchased from Snider's beginning four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
The Week Ahead
Sunday April 22 Monday April 23 Tuesday April 24 Wednesday April 25 Thursday April 26 Friday April 27
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
April 27 – 28, 2018 – 13 Iyar 5778
Parshas Acharei Mos/Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:39 – Havdalah 8:42
* Light Candles by 7:39, and not before 6:31
Ashkenazi: 6:15, 6:40, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:42
Shabbos, April 21 Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday, April 22 Making Tough Medical Decisions, 10:45 AM
Wednesday, April 25 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:45 PM
Sunday, April 29 Global Good Deeds Day, 11:00 AM, Kemp Mill Park
Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 25 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager