Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 5 – 6, 2019 – 1 Nissan 5779 – Parshas Tazria/Rosh Chodesh/HaChodesh
Light Candles by 7:17 – Havdalah 8:18
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rosalyn Bramson and family to commemorate the 3rd Yahrtzeit of Arnold Bramson, Z”L, Alexander Ziskind ben Yehuda Laib HaLevi, Z"L.
* Laurie & Fred Glogower on the birth of a grandson, born to Becky & David Chazen of Givat Shmuel, Israel.
* Eva & Nissy Moskowiitz on the engagement of their grandson, Joey Jubas, son of Yehudit & Mark Jubas of Detroit, Michigan, to Tova Muss of Brooklyn, NY and to the entire Moskowitz extended family.
* Hedy & Rabbi Paul Peyser on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter Leora, daughter of Sherry & Uri Peyser of West Hempstead, NY.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of a great-grandson, born to their grandchildren Nessie & Eli Horovitz of Beit Shemesh. Proud grandparents are Tzippy (Spiro) & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh.
* Arlene Groner on the passing of her mother, Marion Pianko. The funeral took place on Friday in New Jersey. Shiva is being observed Sunday afternoon through Thursday morning at 1121 University Blvd. W., Apt. 104. Mincha/Maariv Sunday through Wednesday: 7:20 PM. Shacharis Monday/Thursday: 6:45 AM, Tuesday/Wednesday: 7:00 AM. The family requests no visitors after 9:00 PM.
* Tsipi Hawk on the passing of her father, Chazan Sherwood Goffin. The funeral took place on Thursday in New York. Shiva is being observed at 142 West End Ave #2U, New York, NY 10023, through Wednesday morning. Tsipi may be reached during Shiva at 301-462-0188 or email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:17, and not before 6:16
Ashkenazi: 6:30 (Social Hall), 7:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
* Shabbos Ends: 8:18
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Yaron & Daniela Nagavker in honor of the first birthday of their daughter, Shai-lee.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Blaustein and Trombka families in appreciation of the support from the YISE community during the 12 months since the passing of Elsie Trombka, Z"L.
* 9:15 Minyan – With much gratitude to Hashem, Serena & Ben Kalish in honor of the birth of their daughter Naava Rachel. May she grow up L'Torah, L'chuppah, U'l'maasim Tovim.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume May 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume May 15.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Toddler Room Renovation – The toddler room is being renovated thanks to a generous donor. Due to the work in process, the room is not currently available for use. The renovations are expected to be completed before Pesach.
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee has been appointed and will be preparing a slate of officers and directors to be voted on at the shul's annual election meeting in May. Nominations and self-nominations may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org through April 11. For more information, call Stuart at 301-980-9557.
Global Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup – Sunday, April 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center. Bags, gloves and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! For more info, contact: Miriam Friedman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the Shabbos Hagadol Pre-Pesach Ruach Minyan on Friday April 12 at 7:00 PM sharp in the Social Hall. While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly invited and encouraged to join us. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – Sunday, May 5, 7:30 PM at YISE. With the onset of WWII, Edith Mayer-Cord fled her native Vienna with her family to live in France. Her brother and father were sent to Auschwitz and she and her mother were forced into hiding, using false papers. Please come to hear the re-telling of her gripping tale. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Save the Date: Sunday, May 12th, 2019
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Susan and Abe Zwany
Young Leadership Award: Elise and Ken Saks
Youth Award: Dovy Brodkin
HaKarat HaTov Award to Yvette Epstein
Special Tribute to: Officer Eli Dunham and Officer Justin Haire
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Escape (Room) From Egypt – Do you think you have what it takes to escape Egypt? This Chol Hamoed Pesach, we are hosting our first high school boys event of the year. We will be doing an escape room on Monday morning, April 22nd at 10:45am at Big Escape Rooms in Silver Spring. Spots are limited so please RSVP to email@example.com as soon as possible. See flyer for details.
Community Learning in Memory of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L
In commemoration of his ninth Yahrzeit, Rabbi Rosenbaum and the YISE Adult Education Committee invite the community to learn L'zecher Nishmas Rav Anemer, ZT"L. All are welcome to participate in the Shul's new seven week learning program that will culminate in the Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L on Shabbos Acharei Mos, May 4.
Over seven weeks, we will learn a Perek (chapter) a week of Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Rambam's Mishnah Torah. In addition to independent learning, each Sunday the Shul will send out an article from Rabbi Rosenbaum or Rabbi Silver on a topic discussed in that week's Perek. Links to the weekly learning and articles are available at: https://wp.yise.org/rabbi-anemer-learning Please feel free to contact Bob Levi at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
YISE and Beyond!
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Tuesday, April 9, 8:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Mechiras Chometz – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for Mechiras Chometz at the following locations & times this week:
* Sunday, April 7 – after 7:30 Shacharis, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Tuesday, April 9 – after Pre-Pesach Shiur, approximately 9:30 PM
* Wednesday, April 10 – 12 noon, Bais Medrash
* Wednesday, April 10 – after MinchaMaariv, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Friday, April 12 – after 6:55 Shacharis, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Shul members should feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum at 301-593-4465, ext. 405 to make alternative arrangements if none of the above days and times are convenient.
Shmurah Matzah – Deadline was Friday, April 5. Pickup at YISE, Wednesday, April 10 & Thursday, April 11 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM. Contact the YISE office if you have questions about your order.
The Young Israel Edition of the Koren Haggadah with commentary by Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks is available in the Shul office for those who ordered through NCYI. A limited number of additional copies are available, one per member, upon request.
Hospitality – Once again it is our privilege to help bring people together for Yom Tov. We are recruiting both guests and hosts to participate in our YISE Pesach Hospitality program. Please sign up as a guest or host by contacting email@example.com
Maos Chittim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – People who would like Rabbi Rosenbaum to distribute Tzedakah for Pesach on their behalf can give cash or checks made out to YISE Charity Fund to him (also at Mechiras Chometz) or drop off at the YISE office. Please do not mail donations.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chittim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous taxdeductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chittim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Chometz Be Gone Kosher Food Drive – Support the Capital Kosher Pantry by donating at Shul or at Moti¡¦s Market and Shalom Kosher or the donation box outside the Yad Yehuda house at 1910 University Boulevard West. See flyer for details.
Chometz Dumpster – A Dumpster will be available from Wednesday April 17 through April 18 at midnight at YISE. Please do not use this Dumpster for anything but Chometz type of items. Please do not use the regular Shul Dumpster.
Community Chometz Burning – Friday, April 19, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at KMS. See flyer for details.
Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 7, 10:00 AM ¡V 4:00 PM at KMS. Clothing, hats, makeup, cookware, bakeware, kitchen tools, serving accessories, jewelry and more! A percentage of all sales will benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or email@example.com
Pesach Car Cleaning – Come support the Berman Class of 2019. Sunday, April 14, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Located in the parking lot of Moti's Market, 4860 Boiling Brook Pkwy, Rockville, MD. Pricing: Sedan $35, SUV $40, Minivan $45. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 6, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets this Shabbos, April 6, learning Halachos of the Seder night. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe and Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:30 PM at the home of Josh and Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade.
Linda Kahan, A"H, Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 7 at 10:00 AM in the Berman Hebrew Academy Cafeteria. Lecture topic will be "Translating the Bible", presented by Adele Berlin, Professor Emerita of Biblical Studies at the Univ. of MD. $36 couvert. RSVP: www.sulam.org/events or email email@example.com
Bnei Akiva Movie Night – Presenting "Wonder" at KMS, Sunday, April 7, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Chevraya Alef, Grades 2 – 6, boys and girls. Cost $10. Pizza and popcorn will be served. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Q – Join Greater Washington NCSY Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, April 7, 7:00 PM at B'nai Israel Congregation, 6301 Montrose Rd., Rockville, MD, to celebrate and support the teens of Greater Washington NCSY! "The Q" is an interactive multimedia, team based trivia game. Please RSVP today at atsncsy.org/theq or by calling 410-358-6279 or by emailing email@example.com
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Resumes – Lisa Rangel will present her free webinar on resumes on Tuesday, April 16, and Thursday, April 18. For times and to register, please visit https://chameleonresumes.com/resreg-04-19
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Week Ahead
Sunday April 7 Monday April 8 Tuesday April 9 Wednesday April 10 Thursday April 11 Friday April 12
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:50 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
April 12 – 13, 2019 – 8 Nissan 5779
Parshas Metzora/Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:24 – Havdalah 8:25
* Light Candles by 7:24, and not before 6:21
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:00 (Ruach), 7:25 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:25
Sunday, April 7 Park Cleanup, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Tuesday, April 9 Pre-Pesach Shiur, 8:30 PM
Friday, April 12 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, May 4 Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday, May 5 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 10 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager