Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 9-10, 2016 – 7 Elul 5776 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:07 – Havdalah 8:04
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Dr. Debra & Jacob Frenkel on the marriage of their son, Chaim, to Tova Safier, daughter of Patricia & Louis Safier of Memphis. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Menachem, Shoshana, Yosef and Eliana.
* Esther & Eliezer Goldfeiz on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Netanel Menachem. Mazal Tov to his sister, Leora, and his grandmother, Miriam Goldfeiz, and to all of Netanel's aunts, uncles, and cousins that are visiting this Shabbos.
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson, born to their grandchildren Adina (Lerner) & Shuey Goldstein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Alyson & Rabbi Dr. Daniel Lerner, and Devorah & Yaakov Goldstein of Baltimore, greatgrandmothers, Devorah Schwartzbaun Weinberger of Har Nof, and Joan Pincus of Silver Spring and Mazal Tov to great-greatgrandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Eva & Nissy Moskowitz on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Jaden, son of Yehudit & Mark Jubas of Detroit.
* The family of Harry Block. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva will be observed at the home of Ralph Block, 3018 Daniel Lane, NW, Washington, DC, through Thursday morning.
* Light Candles by 7:07
Arcola: 6:30, 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will Daven in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:04
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Esther & Eliezer Goldfeiz in honor of the Bar Mitzah of their son Netanel Menachem.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Eli Reingold – Shiur at 5:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:05 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – NOTE NEW LOCATION.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* RESUMES THIS WEEK: GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – Beginning Monday, September 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women Of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ani Ledodi: Cultivating a Deeper Relationship with Hashem in Elul – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, September 11, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. Use the form that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shuloffice (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur babysitting is now full.
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Annual Barbecue – Sunday, September 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE.) Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs and more! Moonbounce for little kids and obstacle moon bounce for older kids. Face painting. Fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please go to: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: Ruach Minyan – Friday, September 23, at 6:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal program for children, Daveners of all ages are welcome to bring in Shabbos with us. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic.
In a Selichos Frame of Mind – Join Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Burnham and baal tefilah Marty Jacobs on Motzei Shabbos, September 24, from 11:30 PM to 12:45 AM. in the social hall for this pre-Selichos program. Hear inspirational words, hear the haunting melodies, and partake in community singing (and refreshments) prior to the service. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Sponsors welcome. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Cheryl Stern Community
Kelim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 yearolds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Pre-Rosh Hashana Apple Picking – Join YISE Youth for apple picking and a Shofar blowing contest. Sunday, September 18, 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon, at Butlers Orchard, 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, MD 20876. Pay for what you pick. Bring your family out for fun in the sun picking delicious apples for Rosh Hashana. Children are encouraged to bring a Shofar from home for a Shofar blowing contest. Feel free to bring a picnic lunch as well as there is a small playground for children to enjoy on the premises. Please RSVP if you plan on attending to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. This week's Pirchei is sponsored by Judy & Dr. David Marwick in memory of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, September 10, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 5:00 PM.
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo will take place Sunday, September 11 from 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring, featuring over 75 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), celebrity speaker, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. A similar Expo will take place Sunday, September 25, from 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM at Springfield Town Center in Springfield, VA. For more info or to volunteer, call 301-949-9766.
Community Choir for Boys – Rabbi Chinn is starting a community choir for boys in 3rd through 8th grade. A first meeting with auditions will be held at 5:00 PM on Sunday, September 11 at Minchas Yitzchok, 1103 Arcola Avenue. If your son is interested in joining the choir, please let us know. If anyone is unable to attend on Sunday, September 11, we hope to hold a second audition later in September. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-997-8363.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Interviewing – Confessions of a Former Recruiter. Free webinar. On demand at http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118396
* Negotiating – Confessions of a Former Recruiter. Free webinar. On demand at http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118459
* Federal Job Search – Free webinar. Tuesday, September. 13, 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Not A Minor Issue: A Child's Obligation to Halacha – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, September 18. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 11:50 AM Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:35 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. 12:45 PM program ends. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hadassah Presents: The Power of Women Who Do! An educational program highlighting women role models of the past and present, from Biblical times to the present and into the future. Our featured speakers are Sharon Freundel, Lisa Davidson, Anat Alon- Beck, Liza Levy, and Ilene Rosenthal. Sunday, September 18, 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Register by calling the Hadassah office at 301-881-8203, or https://www.facebook.com/hadassahgw/ Questions call Nancy Weisberger at 301-649-4153 or email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's 1st Annual Bike-a-thon – Sunday, September 25, from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM. The 38-mile ride will be along the C&O canal, with a barbecue at the finish line at Carderock. For ages 10 and up. $36 registration fee. To sign up or for more information, visit bikurcholimgw.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 11 Monday, September 12 Tuesday, September 13 Wednesday, September 14 Thursday, September 15 Friday, September 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15
Arcola 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:59 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:55 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:36 PM
September 16-17, 2016 – 14 Elul 5776
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:53
* Light Candles by 6:56
Arcola: 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:53
Shabbos, September 10 Bar Mitzvah of Netanel Menachem. Goldfeiz
Shabbos, September 17 Bar Mitzvah of Shlomo Fischer
Sunday, September 18 YISE Annual Barbecue, YGW Boys Campus, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Friday, September 23 Ruach Minyan, YISE Social Hall, 6:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 14 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director