Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 9-10, 2013 – 4 Elul 5773 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:52 (and not before 6:44) – Havdalah 8:53
* Light Candles by 7:52, and not before 6:44
* Mincha 6:30 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:00, 7:55
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 (Sephardi), 7:50 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:53
* 8:00 and 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Leah & Yoni Bresler, in honor of the marriage of their daughter, Elisheva, to Binyamin Carl.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Dr. Emily & Todd Friedman, in honor of the birth of their daughter, Chaya Rachel.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur on break until August 17.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:50 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:20 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Reuven Kasierer – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Program will resume on Tuesday, August 13.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, August 21.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Shiur will resume on Sunday, August 11.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Shiur will resume on Thursday, August 15.
There will NOT be a Youth Minyan this Shabbos. We will resume our normal schedule next week at 9:15 AM.
There will NOT be groups this Shabbos. We will resume our summer schedule next week at 10:00 AM.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Mordechai Tzvi, to their grandchildren Tamar & Rabbi Avi- Gil Chaitovsky of Teaneck; and on the engagement of their granddaughter Malki Waidenbaum, daughter of Libby & Rabbi Nuta Waidenbaum, to Moshe Schwartz of Brooklyn.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler and Hannah & Mitchell Carl on the marriage of their children, Elisheva & Binyamin Carl.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the marriage of their granddaughter, Aviva Klammer, daughter of Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer to Matt Weiser.
* Yael & Rabbi Sanford Shudnow on the birth of a granddaughter, Naava Eliorra, to Michala & Ari Lander of Sydney, Australia.
* Holly & Alan Zimmerman on the birth of a grandson to their children, Erica & Micah Zimmerman. The Bris is scheduled to take place in Baltimore.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Social Committee Baseball Game – Join the YISE Social Committee for a day at the ballpark to see the Bowie Baysox take on the New Britain Rock Cats, Sunday, August 25 at 2:05 PM. Tickets are $10. For tickets please contact Joshua Obstfeld by August 16, email@example.com
Return of the Ruach Minyan! Hold the date, August 16 at 7:15 PM in the large social hall. Please contact Adam with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or (301)943-4370.
Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men Elul Zman – Session begins on August 13 at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Mincha at 7:45 PM. Shiurim: Machshava (Jewish Thought) by Rabbi Y. Scher; Gemara Sukkah by Rabbi Nochum Schwartz; Mishna Berurah by Rabbi Eli Reingold; Advanced Gemara Topics by Rabbi M.C. Blate; Chavrusas always available. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day! Sunday, August 18 at YISE. 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Sheitels, Tichels, Hats, Women's And Girls' Jewelry, Make-Up, Hand-Painted Yarmulkes, and more. Including: Lena's Sheitels, Judith De Paris Hairwear, Asbury Hats, Kinderkrafts Jewelry, Mary Kay Cosmetics.
High Holiday Seating – This is a reminder to our members (both new and not new), that if you have not submitted your request for seats for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur that it should be done as soon as possible. There is a better chance of reserving seats in the area that you prefer if it is done now. Copies of the request form are located in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Please complete the form as soon as possible and return to the Shul office or to email@example.com. If there are any other questions about seating, please also send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your e-mail address and phone number. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please help the High Holiday Committee in ordering the number of extra chairs that we need to rent and to assign seating by sending us the information as soon as possible.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Job Assist Events:
* Customize Your Resume to Get the Job You Want – Free JobAssist workshop, Monday, Aug 12, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM Kemp Mill Education Center, 1319 Lamberton Drive. To reserve a seat, you must register at http://customize2013.eventbrite.com.
* Computer Training Online – (1) Excel—Intermediate, begins Aug. 12, (2) Quickbooks—Beginners, Aug. 12; and (3) Dreamweaver, Aug. 12. For all courses, info and register at www.oujobs.org.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Programs and Listings
Tzeischem L'Shalom to Chani Mehlman, daughter of Judy & Zevi Mehlman, on making Aliya.
Greater Washington Community Kollel – Begin the Elul Semester this Sunday, August 11. Choose from a variety of exciting and inspiring classes and programs. For more information, go to our website www.gwckollel.org or contact us at email@example.com.
The Golden Network Presents: Ovadiah, "A Minor Prophet, a Major Message" – By Rabbi seph Friedman Thursday, August 15, 1:00 PMm, HTAA, 1840 University Blvd. West. For more information contact TGN (301)338-4810.
Juggling a Three Day Yom Tov- Eiruv Tavshilin and Other Relevant Halachos – A Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, August 19, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys' Campus/ Presented by The Yeshiva of Greater Washington Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Shloshim Program for Mr. Etan Savir, A"H – The Yeshiva of Greater Washington invites the men and women of the community to join us as we mark the Shloshim of our esteemed Boys' Division Secular Studies Principal , Mr. Etan Savir, A"H, with Hespedim and a Siyum. Tuesday, August 20 at 6:45 PM followed by Mincha. YGW Boys Campus. For more information, please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Rabbi Hes at 240-475-9581.
YGW 50th Anniversary Kick-Off Event – Save The Date! Sunday, September 1. "A Look Back BBQ, " featuring the famous "Archaeology" Rabbi, R' Shimon Deutsch, of The Living Torah Museum with lectures and a display of objects and jewelry from the days of the Bais HaMikdash, the Holy Temple; children's activities; food; and more. 12:30 PM – 3:00 PM. YGW Girls Campus. For more information contact Donna Goldman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552.
Beacon 50+ Expo – Save the date and reserve your booth today. Thousands of visitors, 100+ exhibitors, keynote speakers, health screenings, live music, giveaways and door prizes. Two dates and locations: Sunday, October 6, Ballston Common Mall, Arlington, VA; and Sunday, October 13, Silver Spring Civic Center, Silver Spring. To Exhibit/Sponsor or for more information, contact Alan at email@example.com or 301-949-9766.
High Holy Days Appeal – The Franco Foundation is an important part of our own community's safety net for individuals and families, which helps them pay for basic needs as they face a tough economy or manage with tragic emergencies. Please send your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal, at the firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also refer cases to email@example.com.
Shofar Blowing – If you are able to blow shofar or need to have shofar blown for you (at home), please contact Aron Trombka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-681-3025.
Chessed Task Force – Chaverim 24/6 Hotline – 301-352-1111 – A dedicated team of volunteers committed to volunteer their time, skills, resources, and expertise at one's time of need. 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. Our general services: jump starts, auto/house lockouts, spare tire change, spare gas, generators for life critical needs, rapid mobilizations for disaster relief services, Shiva Minyan help.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 11 Monday, August 12 Tuesday, August 13 Wednesday, August 14 Thursday, August 15 Friday, August 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:50 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
August 16-17, 2013 – 11 Elul 5773
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:43 – Havdalah 8:43
* Light Candles by 7:43, and not before 6:37
* Mincha 6:25 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Ruach Minyan) 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:43
Monday, August 12 The Man with the Truck, Arcola Social Hall, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Friday, August 16 Ruach Minyan, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, August 18 Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day at YISE, Arcola Social Hall, 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 14, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director