Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 29-30, 2014 – 4 Elul 5774 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:25 (and not before 6:21) – Havdalah 8:23
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Larry Radkowsky in honor of the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Harav Aaron Ben Leib Zalman HaCohen Radkowsky and Menacham Nassan Ben Mordechai HaCohen Kramer.
* Light Candles by 7:25, and not before 6:21
Arcola: 6:30 (Social Hall), 7:25 University: 7:15
Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 7:20
Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:23
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Sima & Dr. Spencer Gakner and Shirlee & Steven Franco on the birth of a granddaughter, Rachel Shirlee "Shir," to their children, Luna & Yaakov Gakner. Mazal Tov to big sister Eliana Miriam, great-grandparents, Dottie & Nathan Franco, and the entire extended families.
* Susan & Abe Zwany and Sharon & Jeff Augenbaum on the birth of a grandson to their children, Esti & Moshe Zwany. Mazal Tov also to the great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews. The Shalom Zachor will be, IY"H, Friday night at 9:00 PM at 1121 University Boulevard, Apt 715 (Shabbos elevator available).
* Dr. Spencer Gakner on the passing of his father, Alexander Gakner. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva will be observed at 900 Holborn Street through Thursday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday, Monday (Labor Day): 7:30; Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:00; Thursday: 6:45. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 7:15. The family requests no visitors between 2:00 PM and 4:30 PM or after 10:00 PM
* Lisa Landy on the passing of her mother, Doris Schlesinger. The funeral and Shiva took place in Israel.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEK, Shabbos, August 30 – Special Seudah Shlishit in the YISE Social Hall on wishing "Tzaitchem L'Shalom" to those Shul members making Aliyah, as well as offering thanks to the IDF and lending support to those in our community with family members in the IDF. Please note that Mincha will be at 20 minutes earlier than originally scheduled – 7:00 PM (Belonofsky Sanctuary) / 6:45 PM (Sephardi).
Israel Event – How do current events shape Israel's security, political and diplomatic outlook? Please join us Sunday, August 31, 8:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall for a discussion with Justin Pozmanter, Political Education Director at AIPAC.
Community Kiddush Honoring Debby Greengart – Please join the community for a Kiddush September 6 following the 8:45 Minyan to honor Debby Greengart for 30 years of teaching at YISE Shomrai Nursery. Sponsorship is recommended for Chai amounts or any amount of your choice. Please email email@example.com to make your donation. Do you have any special memories, thoughts or wishes for Morah Debby? Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in a special keepsake for Morah Debby.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, September 8, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
What do we Know about Tekhelet – The rare blue dye the Torah speaks of for Tzitzit and the clothes of the Kohen Gadol? Hear Rabbi Dr. Barry Freundel speak about the Halachic, historical and scientific aspects of Tekhelet, see a live dyeing demonstration, and join in a Q&A via Skype from Israel with Dr. Baruch Sterman, co-founder of the Ptil Tekhelet Foundation. Sunday, September 14, 7:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Salads and desserts served. Free and open to all. Sponsored by the Rosenthal family in memory of Arlene & Leonard Rosenthal, Z"L.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, September 21 at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road. The topic will be Food preparation over a three day Yom Tov.
SAVE THE DATE: Annual Communal Rabbi Frand Teshuva Drasha at YISE, Wednesday, October 1, 8:00 PM. The entire community is invited at no cost thanks to the many local Shuls, schools and corporate co-sponsors!
High Holiday Preparations:
* The High Holiday seating form is now available on the YISE web site, and can be completed on line. There are also copies in the box in the lobby outside the Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Seats not requested will be reassigned to other members that have requested them. Visit www.yise.org/seats It is also important that your financial obligations be paid up; seats cannot be reserved if there are outstanding obligations. Statements were sent out in early July; if you did not receive yours, please call the Shul office for a copy.
* As in past years, we anticipate a wonderful night of celebration on Simchat Torah. Please consider making a donation of $18, $36, or more to the YISE Simchat Torah Kiddush and food festivities. We would greatly appreciate your help in making this a night to remember! Please send your checks to the Shul office or pay on the Shul website with the notation "Youth Simchat Torah." Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
* Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur babysitting is completely full.
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. So that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to host, please let us know at email@example.com
RESUMING THIS WEEK: GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice of classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Learn Talmud in-depth with a focus on practical applications – Rabbi Menachem Winter, beginning with Keitzad Mevarchim and the laws of blessings. This week's topic: The Proper Beracha for "Hearts of Palm."
* Parsha Discourses – Analyses of selected topics from the weekly Parsha – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. This week's topic: Parshas Ki Seitzeh: Human Dignity, Burial, Cremation and Autopsies.
* Unraveling the Navi – An exploration of the Navi with classic commentaries, beginning with Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Dovid Brotsky. This week's topic: The Power of Change.
* Before We Begin – Study Jewish philosophy through the introductions of the Rambam, beginning with the Introduction to Perek Chelek – the 13 Principles of Faith – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem. This week's topic: Resurrection and the Messianic Age.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, mskarlin@gmail. com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah. Each week we will continue discussing "Halachos of Krias Hatorah."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah -Elul Zman begins September 2 at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow. Shiurim options:
* Developing Your "Gemara Kop," Thinking through Maseches Sukkah – R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem (Based on the Alei Shur by R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha on Chodesh Elul – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics – R' Moshe Chaim Blate
Join us for the open Beis Medrash or we can help you set up a Chavrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:10 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM – will resume on September 4.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer, and will resume in September.
THERE WILL BE NO GROUPS THIS WEEK. Regular groups including 1st-4th graders will resume on September 13.
If you're a boy in 10th grade or higher and want to learn about really exciting topics, then come join Rabbi Rosenbaum's shiur on late Shabbas afternoons! It's held an hour before the late Mincha at the YISE Social Hall and it's always very interesting. We are now starting the last perek of Sanhedrin (Chelek) which discusses who has a share in Olam Haba. For more information please contact Matan Friedman (11th Grade, MJBHA).
Please join the YISE Youth Department for a fun day out at Butler's Orchard on Sunday, September 7, from 9:30 AM – 12:00 noon. People will have the opportunity to pick apples, bring a picnic lunch, and kids will be able to participate in a Shofar blowing contest (bring your own Shofar). For more information or to RSVP, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com for more details.
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Join the GWCK for the start of the Elul Semester – The new semester begins this Sunday, August 31. Check out a number of classes and learning opportunities, or bring your own Chavrusa to the Kollel Beis Medrash! See the schedule at www.gwckollel.org
Pruzbol-Can I Still Collect that Debt? – Monday, September 1, Labor Day. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW Tiferes Gedaliah – Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Tiferes Gedaliah Boys' Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up Parshas Ki Seitzei, September 6, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Family Torah Celebration Day – Join us for a Hachnasas Sefer Torah, followed by an afternoon of fun-filled family activities! Sunday, September 7, YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys' Campus, 11:30 AM Hachnasas Sefer Torah; 12:30 PM Lunch, Activities, Shiurim, Music and more! Please park off campus. There is no charge for this event. Full schedule at www.yeshiva.edu For more information or to sponsor the event, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Sanders at 301-962-5111 ext. 1510 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mikvah Emunah Society is looking for volunteers to collect money and ensure decorum on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. We are looking for men to volunteer between 30 minutes to 1 hour, between 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Interested people should contact Craig Simon at email@example.com
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 525. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Job Assist Events:
* SketchUp (3D printing software) – 4-part series starts online on September 3. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
Recent Chai Donations to YISE
To make a donation to YISE, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or email email@example.com
* In memory of Stuart Rosenthal's mother, Mrs. Arlene Rosenthal, by Joey Franco.
* In memory of Louis Avrutick's wife, Mrs. Lillian Avrutick, by Joey Franco.
* In memory of Stuart Rosenthal's mother, Mrs. Arlene Rosenthal, by Anonymous.
* In memory of Rabbi Tzvi Klugerman's mother, Mrs. Francine Klugerman, by Anonymous.
* In memory of David Abrams wife, Dr. Cynthia Abrams, by Rabbi and Mrs. Jacob Halpern.
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 31 Monday, Sept. 1 – Labor Day Tuesday, September 2 Wednesday, September 3 Thursday, September 4 Friday, September 5
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:00 6:00 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:48 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:52 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
September 5-6, 2014 – 11 Elul 5774
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:14 – Havdalah 8:12
* Light Candles by 7:14, and not before 6:13
Arcola: 6:30 (Social Hall), 7:15 University: 7:15
Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 University: 7:10
Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:12
Tuesday, September 2 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30pm
Wednesday, September 3 Senior Luncheon, Arcola, 12:00 Noon Program: Paul Forbes, Baritone sings "Broadway with a Touch of Sinatra"
Shabbos September 6 Community Kiddush Honoring Morah Debby Greengart
Wednesday, September 10 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30pm
Tuesday, September 16 Elzee's, 11:00 AM to 8:30 PM,
Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 3 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closed on Monday.
Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director