Parashas Shoftim – August 25-26, 2017
Download the August 25-26, 2017 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 25-26, 2017 – 4 Elul 5777 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:30 (and not before 6:26) – Havdalah 8:29
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by
Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers: Emanuel Kramer, Menachem Nosson Ben Mordechai HaKohen, and Aaron Radkowsky, Aharon Ben Leib Zalman HaKohen.
In 1963, twelve years after YISE's founding in the Riggs Park section of Washington, DC the first of two small buildings opened at 811 University Boulevard. Invigorated by the presence of Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, the University Boulevard Shul was a center of prayer and study. It is the foundation upon which so much has been built, both at the Arcola Avenue Shul and the broader Silver Spring Jewish community. This Shabbos, services at University Boulevard will mark the final Minyan after 54 years. We thank all those from throughout our community who have assisted in sustaining the Minyan in more recent years.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars on the birth of granddaughter Hannah Pearl (Chana Penina) to their children Michal & Jack Boyars of Silver Spring. Mazal Tov also to big sister Talia Chava and to Aunt Dova & Uncle Yanky.
* Aliza & Russell Kwiat on the engagement of their son Moshe to Shayna Friedenberg (Baltimore/Israel), daughter of Andrea & Alan Friedenberg. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Nancy & Avi Weisberger.
* Rebbetzin Yaffa Lopiansky on the passing of her mother, Rebbetzin Esther Yenta Finkel. The funeral was held on Monday in Yerushalayim. Shiva is being observed in Yerushalayim through Sunday.
* Light Candles by 7:30, and not before 6:26
Arcola: 6:30, 7:30 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 University: 7:25 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:29
* University Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Rosalyn & Dr. Herman Efron in celebration of their 70th wedding anniversary. Ken Yirbu!
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* University – Special Farewell Kiddush
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin:
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Teshuva. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 8:10 PM at University
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Resumes this Sunday, August 27, at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. Please note the new time and day.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holiday Preparations:
* Seating – Please use the forms that were sent in the mail or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* HaShomer – Deadline for articles and ads has passed.
* Babysitting – All spots are now full.
* Yizkor Guide – The deadline for sponsorships or individual listings has been extended to Wednesday, August 30. Visit: yise.org/yizkor Questions: please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
* Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav Volunteers are needed to help.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 4, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Annual Barbecue – Monday, September 4, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (in case of rain, event will be held at YISE). Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs, pargiyot, kabobs, and more! Moon bounces for older and younger kids, face painting, treats, and prizes…fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family maximum: $45. To RSVP, please visit: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO GROUPS NEXT SHABBOS.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, August 26 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM. Note new time.
Kol Ha'Nearim (formerly known as Avos U'Banim) – Shabbos afternoons, 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at Ohr Hatorah. Open to the entire community. Food and treats provided. Questions: Jared Hershenson at email@example.com (This is the last Shabbos of the season.)
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together one-on-one with mentors who share their Jewish knowledge with participants. At the Bender JCC on Wednesday evenings 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Contest – Wednesday, August 30, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Come see your friends compete in the Kemp Mill Toastmasters Fall Contest – Humorous Speeches and Table Topics. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pre-Rosh Hashanah Boutique – Proceeds to Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Monday, September 4 at KMS, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring, hats, hair coverings, jewelry, serving accessories, clothing, shells, modest work out clothes, chidren's accessories, Kippot, Tzizit, and more. Raffles and light refreshments. For more information, Rhonda Lehman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-351-1725.
OU Survey – The OU is conducting a national survey of the Orthodox community. If you are interested in participating please visit http://bit.ly/Orthodox-Survey and complete the survey by August 31.
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo – Sunday, September 10, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring. Featuring over 75 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. New this year: expert appraisals of up to 2 hand-carryable items ($5 fee each, for charity). A similar Expo will take place Sunday, September17, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, Springfield Town Center in Springfield, VA. For more info or to volunteer, 301-949-9766.
Inspiration in the New Year – AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington presents the keynote speaker, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Monday, September 11, 8:00 PM, at the home of Dr. Caroline & Eric Namrow, 6 Fulham Court. Pareve desserts will be served for a Sweet New Year. Couvert: $18. For reservations or more info, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or at 301-754-1517 or go to: www.AMITChildren.org/Midatlantic or contact Robbie Pearlstein at 410-484-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 27 Monday, August 28 Tuesday, August 29 Wednesday, August 30 Thursday, August 31 Friday, September 1
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 5:25 (Selichot), 6:10 5:30 (Selichot), 6:15 5:30 (Selichot), 6:15 5:25 (Selichot), 6:10 5:30 (Selichot), 6:15
Arcola 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:44 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
September 1-2, 2017 – 11 Elul 5777
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:20 – Havdalah 8:29
* Light Candles by 7:20, and not before 6:17
Arcola: 6:30, 7:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:29
Shabbos, September 2 Shalosh Seudos Siyum, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, September 4 YISE End of Summer BBQ, 4:00PM – 7:00PM, YGW Boys Campus
Wednesday, September 6 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall – Speaker: Dr. Gilda Haber, "Druze Soldiers in the Israeli Army"
Sunday November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 30 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager