Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 17 – 18, 2018 – 7 Elul 5778 – Parshas Shoftim
Light Candles by 7:42 – Havdalah 8:42
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lilly and Robert Zak in honor of the birth of their daughter, Sarah Ahuva.
* Chana & Paul Berner on the birth of a granddaughter, Rina Rochel, to their children Heather & Ethan Berner of Hollywood, FL. Mazal Tov to siblings Ariella, Nechama and Batsheva.
* Rosalyn Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Aiden Julian. Parents are Tali & Judah Spector, grandparents are Janet & Robert Spector.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the wedding of their granddaughter, Rivki Waidenbaum, daughter of Libby Waidenbaum of Brooklyn, NY, to Eliyohu Landman, son of Devorah & Rabbi Yosef Landman of Brooklyn, NY.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Ma'ayan Chaya to their grandchildren, Chava Gila, & Zev Lerner of Teaneck NJ.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the marriage of their son, Ariel, to Elana Horowitz, daughter of Jackie & Mark Horowitz of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov also to Ariel's siblings, Pola & David, Esther & Yonatan and Eitan.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the birth of a granddaughter, Tali Avigayil, to Malki Karkowsky & Jamie Sorge, of Franklin Knolls, MD. Mazal Tov also to big brother Shai and big sister Areli.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the marriage of their granddaughter, Shira Gross, of Passaic, NJ, to Moshe Neger of Toronto, Canada. Mazal Tov to Shira's parents, Rookie & Judah Gross, and family, to Rookie's siblings, to Shira's great-grandparents, Evelyn/Chavi & Yuda Kohn, and to the rest of the Kasdan, Gross, and Neger families.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a greatgranddaughter. Mazal Tov to the parents, Chaya & Zevy Tendler and the grandparents, Debra & Reuven Meth.
* Lilly & Robert Zak on the birth of a daughter, Sarah Ahuva.
* Light Candles by 7:42, and not before 6:35
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Shabbos Ends: 8:42
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez in honor of the Sephardic Minyan Siyum of Masechet Brachot.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Yoni and Rena Schwarz in honor of Rena's belated birthday and in honor of our special visiting guests. Shabbos Shiurim:
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall at 8:15 PM.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis – (begins October 8)
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will resume August 21.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: Sefer Yonah, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in late August.
YISE Programs and Listings
Living with Dementia – Sunday, August 19, 10:30 AM – 12:15 PM, YISE Social Hall. Learn the difference between ordinary memory decline and dementia. Understand changes that result from dementia, and legal and financial steps one should take. Hear from experts, caregivers and a senior in the early stage of dementia. Each of us can play a role in supporting community members affected by dementia. Attend this free presentation and panel discussion presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Dementia Friendly America, and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring. Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed
Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 3 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiur and Shirim for Selichos – Join us on Saturday night, September 1, at 10:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall for a Meaningful Tefillah pre- Selichos program. Mrs. Sharon Freundel will lead a Shiur on the Pshat and Drash of L'David Ori, followed at 11:30 PM. by refreshments and soulful community singing, with words of inspiration from Rabbi Rosenbaum. Free and open to all. To sponsor ($18-$36) or for more info, email StuartRosenthal@yise.org
High Holiday Seats – Time is getting shorter. There are only 3 weeks left until Rosh Hashanah. Have you sent in your seating form request yet? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office now.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email email@example.com or contact the YISE office as soon as possible.
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, or to volunteer to blow shofar, in Kemp Mill, please call Aron Trombka, at 301-681-3025, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Prices: Aleph $75, Beis $65, Gimmel $55, Chinuch $35. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav Order deadline: Friday September 7. Pickup Thursday, September 20, 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings has been extended to August 31. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Parsha and Popsicles in the Park
Join YISE Youth at the Kemp Mill Urban Park on Shabbos, August 25, at 4:30 PM. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at 4:35 PM, followed by popscles. If it rains, the event will be rescheduled.
Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Babysitting will be offered for 2-10 year olds at $10 per child, per day from 10am-1pm. Spots are limited. Contact email@example.com to pay and reserve a spot. Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity
The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool News
School starts soon! Our classes are nearly full, but there are still a couple of spaces in our 2-year-old, 3-year-old, and Pre-K programs. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We look forward to having your child at Shomrai Preschool this coming school year!
Community Programs and Listings
The Unveiling for Ruth Rochel Stokes, Z"L, will take place on August 19 at 9:00 AM at the Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery, 11301 Crain Hwy, Cheltenham, MD 20623 (weather permitting). Open House: 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM will go on, rain or shine.
Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner – ¡§Questions and challenges with Friday night and Yom Tov Mikvah visits" The Shiur, for women only, in memory of Cheryl Stern, A"H, will meet at 5:30 PM at the home of Davida Yitzhaky, 11705 Saddlerock Road. If you would like to schedule a time to speak with Bracha privately when she is here contact her at: email@example.com
2nd Annual Summer Track Meet! – Ko-ach Sports presents a free Summer Track Meet for kids in the community! Sunday, August 26, 4:00 PM ¡V6:00 PM at Montgomery Blair HS, 51 Univ. Blvd. East. Open to girls K-4th Grade and boys K- 8th Grade. Top finishers in each race receive a ribbon. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information No registration required.
Inspiration in the New Year – AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington. Rabbi Michoel Frank of Kehilas Ohr HaTorah will speak at a private home in Kemp Mill on Tuesday, September 4 at 8:00 PM. Cost: $18. Contact AMIT at 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996- 5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Moon and the Jewish People ¡V Second lecture by Dr. Alan Breitler, August 18 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:30 PM.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Help us refill the shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry are in serious need of replenishment. Are you able to donate some of these items?
Baking Ingredients: Pareve Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Olive Oil, Pareve Cake Mixes (e.g., Duncan Hines), Baking Soda, Baking Powder
Food Staples: Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), Pareve Granola Bars (e.g., Nature Valley), Rice Cakes, Pareve Circle Crackers, Mayonnaise, Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pasta (not spaghetti)
Shabbos Supplies: Grape Juice, Gefilte Fish, Yahrzeit Candles, Tea Lights
Not Needed Right Now: Honey Nut Cheerios, Canned Green Beans, Canned Corn, Oatmeal, Regular Pasta, Yams, Mustard
* Place your donations in any Capital Kosher Pantry box in most Shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or on the porch of Yad Yehuda at 1910 University Blvd.
* Select items from the Capital Kosher Pantry shelves in Shalom Kosher and, after purchase, deposit them in the Yad Yehuda box in front of the registers.
* Shop online at Walmart or Amazon (info at yadyehudah.org ) and have the food shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Questions? Please call 301-842-7935 ext 706.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 19 Monday August 20 Tuesday August 21 Wednesday August 22 Thursday August 23 Friday August 24
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30* 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:35* 7:35* 7:35* 7:35* 7:35*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:36 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 45 minutes before Mincha
August 24 – 25, 2018 – 14 Elul 5778
Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:32 – Havdalah 8:31
* Light Candles by 7:32, and not before 6:27
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:31
Sunday, August 19 Living with Dementia, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Monday, August 20 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Shabbos, August 25 "Meat" & Greet, 1:00 PM – Reservation required
Shabbos, August 25 Parsha and Popsicles in the Park, 4:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 22 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager