Parashas Shlach – May 31-June 1, 2013
Download the May 31-June 1, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 31 – June 1, 2013 – 23 Sivan 5773 – Parshas Shlach – Shabbos Mevorchim
Light Candles by 8:09 (and not before 6:56) – Havdalah 9:16
* Light Candles by 8:09, and not before 6:56
* Mincha 6:45 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15, 8:10
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 7:50 (Univ.), 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:16
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Yechiel Shaffer
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Assistant Rabbi candidate and his wife, Aliza & Rabbi Yechiel Shaffer.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:05 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:05 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yechiel Shaffer – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony. Will resume on June 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall. Shiur will not meet on June 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.Will resume on June 19.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Will resume on June 23.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:45 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Judy & Stuart Rosenthal in honor of Tova's birthday and graduation from MJBHA.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
This week is the last groups of the season.
Assistant Rabbi Search
The YISE Board and Rabbi Rosenbaum have approved three candidates for the position of Assistant Rabbi. This week is the first of the three where we welcome the candidates. The other dates are Shabbos, June 8, and Shabbos, June 15.
Welcome to Aliza & Rabbi Yechiel Shaffer
Rabbi Yechiel Shaffer will Daven at the 8:00 Minyan (brief Dvar Torah) and attend the Kiddush; speak after (no earlier than 10:45) the 8:45 Minyan (12-15 min. Dvar Torah) and attend the Kiddush; teach a Shiur between regular Mincha and Maariv on Shabbos; and attend a Meet & Greet in the Social Hall on Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM, followed by a Q & A with the Congregation from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM.
Refer to the letter, sent by Cyberbrief and available at Shul, for more information on the schedule for the next few weeks and the complete selection process.
* Mrs. Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-grandson, Yochai Aharon, son of Adina & Matan Eliezer of Beit Shemesh.
* Gigi & Jerry Kaminetzky on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Daniella, daughter of Jill & Noam Kaminetzky of Boca Raton, Florida.
* Judy & David Marwick on the birth of a granddaughter, Ayelet Ortal, to their children Chana & Josh EvenChen of Maale Adumim.
YISE Programs and Listings
Topics in Jewish History – presented by Rabbi Greengart on Monday, June 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. 1111 University Blvd. W., Apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please note that Rabbi Greengart will be giving the class until Rabbi Koss returns.)
Special Youth Shabbos on June 8 – The Youth Minyan will join and lead services at the 8:45 Minyan on Shabbos Parshas Korach, Rosh Chodesh. The Graduates' Kiddush will follow the 8:45 Minyan. Don't let your graduate be left out! Send his or her name to email@example.com by Sunday, June 2. To co-sponsor the Graduates' Kiddush (sponsorships are $18 or $36 each) contact the Shul office, 301-593-4465, ext. 402. A youth/family Seudah Shlishit will meet in the large social hall at 5:20, following the 5:00 Mincha. Suggested ages are pre-school through 3rd grade. Parents and other siblings are welcome. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for the Seudah Shlishit by June 2, sponsorships are welcome.
Welcome to new members that were voted in at the last board meeting: Chanah & Joseph Hollander, Meera & Stephan Miller, Yael & Yaakov Murphy, Ariane & Daniel Sacks, Marc Sushner, and Robert Zaks.
Planning for your retirement? You need to decide whether to enroll in Medicare. What are your Medicare options if you have Federal health insurance? How do Federal insurance benefits work with Medicare; who pays first? Learn from Leslie Fried, policy director/National Council on Aging, and Hilary Dalin, an expert in Federal programs for seniors. Eldercare program sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, SSJC, and KMS. At KMS on Sunday, June 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM.
Job Assist Events:
* Photoshop for Beginners – Online. Starts Monday, June 3. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Intermediate QuickBooks – Online. Tuesday, June 11. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Financial Smarts for Women – Thursdays, June 20 and 27, 10:00 AM – noon, 701 King Farm Boulevard, Rockville. Info and register at email@example.com.
* LinkedIn-Intermediate – Free workshop for experienced users. Wed, June 19, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands and thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
YISE Nursery Programs & Listings
Parenting Summer Series – A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. "How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk." Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. Sunday nights June 2 through July 7. 8:30 PM to 10:00 PM. At the home of Judy Rosenthal, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Cost: $100 per person, $120 per couple. Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, plus two other books. To register: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301- 593-7365.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei – 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. This week's Pirchei is sponsored by Bubie & Zeidi Taragin, in honor of Yitz's 11th birthday. If you're interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Women's Daytime Tehillim, Wednesdays, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Contact Arleeta Lerner for information, 301-649-0552. Note new time.
MJBHA Flea market – June 2, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Featuring a wide variety of items. For more contact Ellie Katz Neumann at 301-460-4118 or email@example.com.
MJBHA Book Sale – June 2, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM and June 3 – June 4, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Hundreds of new and gently used books! Most priced between $ 0.50 – $5.00.
LBJA First Annual Science Fair – Sunday June 2, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM, 1401 Arcola Avenue, 201-592-8433. Games and science activities for ages 3 and older
AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC presents the Annual Mother-In-Israel Event – a Cooking Demo with Leah Koenig, author of The New Hadassah Everyday Cookbook! Sunday, June 2, 6:30 PM. $75 minimum includes Brother/Sister In Israel & Dinner. For more information contact: AMIT Office at 410-484-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Donna Lawrence 301-649-2226.
Yad Zlata Event – Commemorating the 3rd Yahrtzeit of Mrs. Zlata Geisinsky Z"L. Inspiring remarks by her children and a full concert to celebrate her life. International singing sensation, Cantor Ya'akov Lemmer. Also featuring Singer and Composer Boruch Sholom Blesofsky. Thursday, June 6 at Beth Sholom Cong., Reception at 6:30 PM, Program at 7:00 PM. Visit www.LinkUp.org for more information.
Positive Parenting with Love and Discipline – presented by Mrs. Rivkah Levitansky, Sunday, June 9 at 8:30 PM. YGW Boys Campus. Couvert $5. Open to women of the community. Mrs. Levitansky is a noted speaker, educator, sought after kallah teacher and parenting instructor. For more info: Mrs. Rachie Reingold 301-592-9210 or email@example.com or Yael Azran 678-793-0916 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy's 69th Anniversary Celebration at Dave and Busters in White Flint Mall, Monday, June 10, 6:30 PM – 10:00 PM. To make your reservations for a full, kosher dinner catered by Signature Caterers, place an ad, sponsor one of the D&B games, or to buy a raffle for spectacular beach vacations in South Carolina or Florida, visit www.mjbha.org/events today!
M-NCPPC Montgomery Parks invites you to review the design plans for Kemp Mill Urban Park at a community meeting on Tuesday, June 11 at 7:30 PM at KMES. Your input and ideas on the proposed playground are of particular interest. For more information, visit: http://montgomeryparks.org/pdd/cip/kemp_mill_urban_park.shtm.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 2 Monday, June 3 Tuesday, June 4 Wednesday, June 5 Thursday, June 6 Friday, June 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:15 N/A N/A 8:15 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:40 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
June 7-8, 2013 – 30 Sivan 5773
Parshas Korach – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 8:13 – Havdalah 9:21
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before 7:00
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 , 8:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 (Sephardi), 7:55 (Univ.), 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:21
Shabbos, June 1 Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Yechiel Shaffer
Wed., June 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola
Shabbos, June 8 Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Tuesday, June 11 Elzee's, Arcola Social Hall, 11:30 AM to 8:30 PM
Shabbos, June 15 Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Sandor Shulkes
Shabbos, June 22 Scholar-In-Residence: Rabbi Shalom Rosner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 5, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director