Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 8 – 9, 2018 – 26 Sivan 5778 – Parshas Shlach – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:14 – Havdalah 9:22
The Shabbos Shorts is dedicated by Ron Sheinson to his Aishet Chayil as they enter their second half century of married life.
* Shlomo & Sharona Katz on the engagement of their son Ze'ev to Avigail ("Avi") Shimanovich of Baltimore, MD, daughter of Anne Shimanovich and Gedaliah Shimanovich. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Arline & Irving Katz.
* Sarah & David Maslow of Jerusalem on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Noam Shmuel Mordechai, son of their children Dina & Adam Lancer of Passaic, NJ, and great-grandson of long-time Shomrai members Rena & Samuel Holstein.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the birth of a grandson, Nachshon, son of Rivky & Yoni Mehlman and little brother of Yitzchak. Mazal Tov to greatgrandfathers Menache Israel and Jack Mehlman.
* Leah & Harvey Paretzky on the marriage of their daughter, Shoshana, to Chaim Komarow of White Oak. Mazal Tov to Shoshana's siblings, Ruthie & Mordechai Paretzky and nieces and nephews, Shmuel, Batya, Avrumi and Rivka. Mazal Tov also to Adina & Nate Miller. Mazal Tov to Chaim's parents, Yehudis & Dr. Hirsh Komarow.
* Marilyn & Don Schwartz on the birth of a grandson, Aviel Meir Ronen, son of Chana Leah & Anthony Brehm of Beit Shemesh, Israel. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Livia, Brielle, and Itai.
* Elaine & Jerry Taragin on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Miriam & Ozzie Marizan of Baltimore MD. Mazal Tov to Aunt Judy & Uncle Mitch Taragin and the entire Mishpacha.
* Marcelle Chalom on the passing of her sister, Sarah Pinhas. Shiva was completed on Thursday.
* Fred Glogower on the passing of his mother, Janet Glogower. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Nechama Goodman on the passing of her mother, Hilda (Chaya Leba) Stark. The funeral took place on Tuesday in New York. Nechama will observe Shiva at 15 Dorchester Drive, Monroe Township, NJ, 08831 until Monday morning. She may be reached during Shiva at 609-395-7567 or 908-616-1930.
* Light Candles by 8:14, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:22
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Moshe Khaldar in memory of his mother Hamdam bat Mashala.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Graduation Kiddush
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver-Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:40 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: On the Same Page with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM – 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM. For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Community Blood Drive – Sunday June 10, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive, in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, Dr. Clif Price, & Mrs. Beverly Brinn. Donate and receive an Inova Blood Donor Services Cooling Towel. Photo ID Required. Allow one hour for donation. Make your lifesaving appointment today by calling Inova Blood Donor Services at 1-866-256-6372, donor code 8030, or contacting Eli Landy email@example.com or online at www.yise.org/blood We also need volunteers to greet & sign in donors, hand out water & snacks, & show videos to children while their parents donate blood.
Lessons on Emunah from Moshe's Experience with the Rock – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, June 17, at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Please review and update the listing of your children listed the YISE Israel Connection section of the Directory. Send updated information to email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Kelim Mikvah Update
The Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah is open again! Please make sure to take boxes, bags, wrappers, labels and other trash with you after using the Mikvah.
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
Help Wanted at Shomrai Preschool
Lead Teacher – Shomrai Preschool is looking for a lead teacher for 2018-2019 who wants to be part of a collaborative team of professionals working together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing, and creative setting. We provide a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development, as well as children's development in language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. Send resumes to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant – Shomrai Preschool seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant. Duties include phone and email correspondence with families, updating school website, invoicing, tracking expenses, payroll input, and creating schedules as needed. We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who desires to work in a collaborative Orthodox Jewish preschool. This is a year-round position, 15 hours per week. Candidate must have experience working in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Please email Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com.
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, June 10, 6:00 PM
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, June 9, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Chazakah: Take Three – For Women and Girls Only. Sunday, June 10, at 10:30 AM at Northwood High School. A fantastic program of dance and music featuring over 150 students from La Zooz Dance and Torah School of Greater Washington Girl's Choir. Info and tickets in advance at www.lazoozdance.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Yad Zlata Benefit Concert with Avraham Fried – An Evening of Tribute and Inspiring Music. Live on stage in greater Washington for one night only. Also starring Celebrity Singer/Song-Writer Boruch Sholom Blesofsky. Thursday, June 21, 7:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Ave, Rockville MD. For info and Tickets purchases visit the concert's website: www.yadzlata.org or call 240-200-4515.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday June 10 Monday June 11 Tuesday June 12 Wednesday, June 13 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, June 14 – Rosh Chodesh Friday June 15
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:37 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
June 15 – 16, 2018 – 3 Tammuz 5778
Light Candles by 8:17 – Havdalah 9:25
* Light Candles by 8:17, and not before 7:02
Ashkenazi: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:25
Shabbos, June 9 Graduation Kiddush
Sunday, June 10 Blood Drive at Chabad, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Thursday, June 14 Shomrai Preschool Pre-K Siyum, Social Hall, 9:15 AM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 13 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager