Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 16-17, 2017 – 23 Sivan 5777 – Parshas Shlach – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:18 (and not before 7:03) – Havdalah 9:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson and Stern Families in honor of the 55th wedding anniversary of Esther & Jacob S. Edeson.
* David Abrams on the engagement of his grandson Yonatan Abrams, son of Annick & Lowell Abrams, to Hannah Cowen, of London, England, daughter of Debra & Kim Cowen.
* Chana & Paul Berner on the birth of a great-granddaughter Rochel Leah to parents Fraidy & Shragi Penfil of Lakewood, NJ.
* Kathy Trimble Greenberg & Rick Greenberg and Janie & David Chefitz of Sharon, MA, on the birth of their first grandchild, Meira Gilah (Melissa Gloria), to their children Ann Rose & Max Greenberg of Aspen Hill. Mazal Tov also to Uncle Jake, Aunt Sarah and Uncle Elliott, great-grandmother Bernice Chefitz and all of the great-uncles, great-aunts and cousins.
* Suri & Eric Kinzbrunner and family on the birth of a son. The Shalom Zachor will be at their home, 1151 Kersey Road, from 9:00 PM – 11:00 PM.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of a great-grandson, Chaggai, born to their grandchildren Nessie & Eli Horovitz, of Beit Shemesh. Proud grandparents are Tzippy (Spiro) & David Horovitz of Beir Shemesh.
* Sarah & Richard Weiss on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Rita & Kheder Shukur and Joan & David Weiss.
* Light Candles by 8:18, and not before 7:03
Arcola: 6:50, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will Daven at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:26
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Group and friends of Bonnie & Ira Evans in honor of their move to Cleveland.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Moshe Nisan in memory of his mother, Latifa Bat Regina; and by Chaim Tor in honor of David Mordechai, Eliezer Shukur and Chaim Preser and his birthday.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – will resume in August.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – will resume in August.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Early Mincha Minyan – YISE is proud to offer a number of learning opportunities with the GWCK, at 8:00 PM Monday through Thursday. To facilitate the schedule of these programs, a 7:45 Mincha Minyan will take place in the Small Beis Medrash.
Ins and Outs of a Hospital Stay: Medical and Halachic Insights – Understand how insurance works & how to communicate with hospital staff. Learn what halacha says about paying for health treatments when other obligations exist, and what is the community's responsibility to help defray costs. Speakers: Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, KMS, and Dr. Ira Rabin, V.P. MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, Minchas Yitzhok, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, June 25, KMS Beis Medrash, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon.
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Shomrai Nursery Parenting Series. A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. 6 sessions beginning Sunday, June 25, 8:30 PM – 10:00, at the home of Judy Rosenthal. Cost: $100 per person / $120 per couple. (Includes a copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, and class materials.) To Register: contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
New Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join the over 100 daily listeners, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to email@example.com
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, June 17 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Gel Manicures and the Mikvah – Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be speaking Shabbos afternoon, at 5:30 PM, for women only, at the home of Debbie Unger, 12013 Kemp Mill Road. Please contact her if you would like to set up a time to speak privately over Shabbos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda School Supply Drive – Looking for new/gently used school supplies to provide for families for next school year. Drop-off boxes at the Berman Hebrew Academy, Yad Yehuda (1910 University Blvd), or the porch at 11613 Fulham Street. Contact email@example.com for more information.
AMIT Family-in-Israel – Aviad Haramati will speak about "Mindfulness as an Antidote to Chronic Stress: Fad or Fact?". Wednesday, June 21, 7:30 PM. Cost is $70, including a light buffet supper and a Mother-In-Israel Pin. To RSVP, contact the AMIT office at 410-484-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, June 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Annual Yad Zlata Concert – Superstars of Jewish music, Eighth Day Band, the hottest Jewish band with millions of YouTube hits. Plus special performance by star singer / songwriter, Boruch Sholom. Sunday, June 25, 7:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Information and tickets at www.YadZlata.org or 240-200-4515.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 18 Monday, June 19 Tuesday, June 20 Wednesday, June 21 Thursday, June 22 Friday, June 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 8:25 7:45 (Mincha), 8:25 7:45 (Mincha), 8:25 7:45 (Mincha), 8:25 7:45 (Mincha), 8:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
June 23-24, 2017 – 30 Sivan 5777
Parshas Korach – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 8:19 – Havdalah 9:27
* Light Candles by 8:19, and not before 7:05
Arcola: 6:55, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:27
Monday, June 19 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:00 PM
Wednesday, June 21 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola – Speaker: Harvey Follender "Diverse Ethiopian Culture"
Wednesday, June 21 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, Small Beis Midrash, 7:30 PM
Shabbos, June 24 Aufruf of Benjy Katz
Shabbos, July 8 Scholar in Residence: Rabbi Shmuel Silber
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager