Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 9-10, 2015 – 19 Teves 5775 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:45 – Havdalah 5:49
* Light Candles by 4:45
Arcola: 4:45 University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
The Friday night Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary will be a special Ruach Minyan led by Yehuda Green. There will be another Minyan in the Social Hall beginning at the same time.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:49
* Youth Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom in honor of Chaim's Aufruf and upcoming marriage.
* 8:00 Minyan – The Sicherman family in honor of the fourth Yahrzeit of Dr. Harvey Sicherman, Zvi ben Yitzchak, beloved husband, father, and grandfather.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – An anonymous donor in honor of Marilyn & Judah Lifschitz, whose devotion to numerous community institutions and individuals is an inspiration to us all.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan (in the small
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Welcome to the Greater Washington Community Kollel for an Inspirational Shabbos
See attached page for full schedule.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Avia Shulman. Parents are Yehudit & Daniel Shulman of Beit Shemesh. Mazal Tov also to aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and to all the Mishpacha.
* Bonny Brown Billig (and the late Dr. Donal Billig) on the engagement of her son, Sam Billig, to Dina Beck, daughter of Rabbi & Mrs. Yehuda Leib Beck of Monsey.
* Rena & Chaim Fruchter on the engagement of their daughter, Ora, to Bradford Jordan of Irvine, CA.
* Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the engagement of their son Moshe to Michal Fink, daughter of Shlomo & Deborah Fink of Scranton. Mazal Tov to Moshe's grandparents Arline & Dr. Irving Katz and Lorraine & Rabbi Sam Vogel and aunt and uncle Nadine & Menashe Katz.
* Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom on the Aufruf and upcoming marriage of their son Chaim to Yael Sladowsky, daughter of Debbie & Shaul Sladowsky of Beit Shemesh. Mazal Tov to Chaim's grandfather Henry Sandler and to the entire family.
* Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon on the birth of their twin grandsons, first children for Rebecca & Ian Gedalowitz. Mazal Tov to aunts and uncles, and grandparents Arlene & Yitz Gedalowitz of White Oak. Also to great-grandparents in England, Israel and Florida.
* Clark Rogers on the passing of his mother, Sylvia Drusin Rogers. The funeral was held on Friday in Florida. Shiva will be held through Thursday morning at 318 Hannes Street. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday, Thursday: 6:45, Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:00; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 4:50.
YISE Programs and Listings
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 11, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by YISE and KMS to replenish local area Gemachs. Gently used shoes, clothing and outerwear can be dropped off at 903 Holborn Street through January 11 at 9:30 AM or dropped off at KMS after 10:00 AM on January 11. To volunteer to help or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part I of a two-part refresher course on Monday, January 12, at 7:30 PM in the YISE Beis Medrash. Part II will be on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, January 15 through Sunday, January 25. People with Halachic questions should feel free to call Rabbi Silver at 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum about a pressing matter should contact a member of the office staff, who will alert Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Next Weekend – Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 17, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Community Wide Shlock Rock Concert – Sunday, February 1, at 3:30 PM, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Tickets are $5/ticket. Reservation details comng soon. Co-sponsored by YISE.
Taharas Hamishpacha Review for Men – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a review for married men on Monday, February 2, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Beis Medrash.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Hakamat Ha-Matzeiva (Unveiling) for Isadore Goldman will be January 11, at 11:00 AM at National Capitol Hebrew Cemetery, Capitol Heights.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Hilchos Yichud: Situational Awareness, Halachos and Solutions – A Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Wednesday, January 14, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Food Gemach partners with Food Bank – To meet increasing needs, the Yehuda Mond Foundation, in partnership with the Capital Area Food Bank, makes available, free of charge, non-perishable kosher food. For more information visit http://foodgemach.org
Charity in Memory of Avraham Khaldar – The Khaldar family is raising funds to help support a new Yeshiva in the Old City of Jerusalem, headed by the Chief Rabbi of the Old City, HaRav Avigdor Neventzal, Shlita. The funds will be used to directly support a Chabura to learn Torah in memory of Avraham. If you would like to support, please make out a check to "Toras Yisrael Yevorchu Metzion," with "Zichron Avraham" in the memo, and send to Eitan Khaldar at 11305 Monticello Ave.
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Good Book for 2015 – Listing members of the Washington area Jewish community, is in preparation. YISE members wishing to be included or to make changes in their listing should contact email@example.com or 410-358-6068. The Good Book will accept listing requests and changes submitted by January 15.
Job Assist Events:
* College Students – Learn how to create your resume. http://www.resumeplace.com/2014/12/college-students-create-killer-resume-winter-break/
* Job Search for 50+ – Polish your resume, networking, and interviewing skills through 5 days of classroom training. Next session begins Jan. 20. For info, email egreenberg@AccessJCA.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 11 Monday, January 12 Tuesday, January 13 Wednesday, January 14 Thursday, January 15 Friday, January 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:25, 7:15 6:25, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:25, 7:15
Arcola 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:49 PM
January 16-17, 2015 – 26 Teves 5775
Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:52 – Havdalah 5:55
* Light Candles by 4:52
Arcola: 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:50 University: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:55
Shabbos, January 9-10 An Inspirational Shabbos with the GWCK
Shabbos, January 10 Aufruf of Chaim Rosenbloom (Hashkamah)
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 17 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, March 1 YISE Annual Banquet
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller and Youth Honorees: Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 14 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director
This Shabbos! Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos at YISE!
Thought-provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK.
Ruach-filled tefillos and Zemiros led by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Yehuda Green.
Elegant catered Friday Night family dinner with inspiring Divrei Torah and Zemiros. Reservations required. Booked to capacity.
OPEN TO ALL!
Delicious Dessert Buffet and Ruach-filled Oneg Shabbos following the Seudah, approximately 8:15pm at Shomrai.
Musical Havdalah Service with Yehuda Green! 6:10pm, Motzei Shabbos at Shomrai.
If you are driving to Shul after Shabbos, please remember to say Hamavdil…
Join us for the following classes and lectures:
Oneg – A Perfect Blemish, Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, Director of Community Outreach
8:00am Minyan – A Precious Few, A Precious Many, Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz
8:45am Main Minyan – Of Houses and Tents, Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rosh Kollel
Between Mincha and Maariv – Informing and Collaborating: From the Pharaohs to the Present, Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, Rosh Chabura
Women's Class – Yocheved: Mother of Leaders; Matriarch of Grandeur, Mrs. Sara Malka Winter 3:15pm. Home of Gloria Feldman 1000 Lamberton Drive
Shalosh Seudos for Teenage Girls – A Conversation about Connecting, Mrs. Nechama Zakem 4:45pm. Home of Nechama Zakem 11722 Fulham Street
Batsheva and Moshe Broder
Simi and Sammy Franco
Marilyn and Judah Lifschitz
Sharon and Michael Shimoff