Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 5-6, 2018 – 19 Teves 5778 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:45
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0560 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Aliza Fink & Michael Zatman on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Amalya Zatman. Mazal Tov to Amalya's brother Ben and sister Keira, grandparents Carol & Merton Zatman and Elaine & Alan Fink, and all the family and friends who have joined us for Shabbos.
* Hannah Gershon on the wedding of her grandson Emanuel (Manu), son of Martine & Dr. Raphael Gershon of Atlanta to Malka (Malky) Lax, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Moshe Lax of Boro Park.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the birth of a grandson, Gavriel Yehudah, to Pola & David Isser of Henderson, NV. Mazal Tov also to aunt and uncles Esther & Yonatan, Ariel and Eitan.
* Bracha & Yossie Orlansky on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Meir. Mazal Tov to siblings Yitzy, Miriam, and Racheli and to grandparents Ita & Yoel Orlansky and Kayla & David Seff.
* Light Candles by 4:41
Ashkenazi: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:45
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Michael Zatman and Aliza Fink in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Amalya
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Bracha and Yossie Orlansky in honor of Meir's Bar Mitzvah
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan –will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men –will not take place this Sunday. See YISE Programs and Listings for Shiur "Judging Favorably."
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM, starting Maseches Bava Basra on Tuesday, January 9.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contactRabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment!Motzei Shabbos, January 6, 7:00 PM, Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Josh and Dana Dachman.
Judging Favorably – GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics Lecture by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg: "Judging Favorably: When and Why to Give the Benefit of the Doubt." Sunday, January 7 at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 1: Sunday, January 7, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Part 2: Sunday, February 25 (changed from original date), 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the STAR-K. Wednesday, January 10, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Thrip cloths available for $7. This program is open to men and women.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, January 11 through Sunday, January 21. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363- 5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the Shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men – Taught by Rabbi Rosenbaum. Monday, February 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the Large Beis Medrash.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 28, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by KMS and YISE to benefit CHANA, a Jewish response to domestic violence. Drop off gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) Volunteers needed to help sort and to drive the clothing to Baltimore on Sunday after the drive. To volunteer or for more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Get tax deduction receipts at the drive or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE: An Inspirational Shabbos ¡V GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, presents An Inspirational Shabbos: Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and Song. Shabbos Parshas Yisro, February 2-3, 2018 at YISE.
* Thought-provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK
* Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday Night family dinner
* Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Rabbi Baruch Levine
Stay tuned for more information!
YISE Disability Inclusion Committee is seeking helpful feedback from individuals and families within our community who have challenges that could benefit from added accommodations. If you or a member of your family has a visible or invisible disability, including ones that result from illness or aging, we would like to arrange for a confidential interview to learn more about your YISE experience. Please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com or 301-675-6684.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Mother (figure)/Daughter paint night with Talya Weinberg! Sunday January 21, 5:45 PM – 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. $30 for mom+1, $40 for mom + 2, $50 max. There are only 75 spots available, so make sure to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org soon to reserve your spots! Ages 6 and up.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road. Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 6, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 10, 8:00 PM – 9:00PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information
Free Job Search Workshop – Networking for a Successful Job Search, Tuesday, January 23, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM, to be held at the Silver Spring Library.
Free Job Search Webinars -Both on Monday, January 8:
* Cracking the Code to Your Federal Job Search, 8:00 PM to 8:30 PM
* Moving Forward in Your Career, 8:45 PM to 9:15 PM
Presented by Corliss Jackson. Register at www.FederalJobResults.com/events
CPR Class – Sunday, February 11, 12 noon at YISE. Full certification class administered by NOVA Cert, LLC. It will be infant & child CPR ONLY, with no adult CPR component. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, with CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. The (subsidized) cost for the class is $35 per person. Pay by cash, credit card, check, or Paypal to NOVA Cert, LCC at the event. Class is 2-1/2 to 3 hours, slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class. If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com and specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Boys Baseball Registration for 1st-5th grade is now open! This spring Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Sunday baseball. Sign up now to reserve your spot and save on registration fees. Register before January 12 to take advantage of the early-bird savings! More information at www.KoachSports.com
FAFSA & Beyond – A Financial Aid Workshop for Higher Ed & the "Gap" Year, for Parents of 10th-12th graders. Tuesday, January 9, 8:00 PM at the YGW Girls Division Campus, 2010 Linden Lane. Featuring Mr. Robert Friedman, YU Director of Student Finance. Get your questions answered by an expert in the field. For more information contact Mr. Kevin Andersen at 301-649-7077 ext. 1511 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday – January 7 Monday – January 8 Tuesday – January 9 Wednesday – January 10 Thursday – January 11 Friday – January 12
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20
Ashkenazi 4:50 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:48 PM
January 12-13, 2018 – 26 Teves 5778
Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:48 – Havdalah 5:52
* Light Candles by 4:48
Ashkenazi: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:45 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:52
Shabbos, January 6 Bar Mitzvah of Meir Orlansky, 8:45 Main Minyan
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 6 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 7 Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, "Judging Favorably", 9:30 AM
Sunday, January 7 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women, 7:00 PM
Monday, January 8 Basic Colors, 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM
Tuesday, January 9 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:45 PM
Wednesday, January 10 Bug Checking Seminar, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 10 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager