Download the January 4-5 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 4-5, 2013 – 23 Tevet 5773 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:44
* Light Candles by 4:41
* Mincha 4:40 (Sephardi), 4:45 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:44
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – The Sicherman family, in honor and memory of the second Yahrzeit of their beloved husband, father, and grandfather Dr. Harvey Sicherman, Zvi ben Yitzchak, ZT"L. Thank you to the community who learned Mishnayot in his memory and helped us make this Siyum.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the youth room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Mondays at 8:30 PM, at his home, 11403 Cloverhill Drive. Currently learning the fifth Chalek.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall – will not meet this week on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing Others Harm or to Sin." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10 AM until 11 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
* Menashe Katz and family on the engagement of his daughter, Elisheva, to Danny Weiser of Baltimore. Mazel Tov to Arline & Irving Katz on the engagement of their granddaughter.
* Judy & David Marwick on the Bat Mitzvah of their grand-daughter Nava Rivka Benoff, daughter of Miriam & Peretz Benoff of Teaneck, NJ.
* Jodi & David Mazel on the engagement of their daughter Suzanne to Jack Voystock, son of Beth & John Voystock of Harrisburg, PA. Mazel Tov to Suzanne's siblings, Shayna and Jacob.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos at 7:00 PM in Arcola social hall and open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lot of fun! This week is sponsored by the Obstfeld family.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish history on Monday, January 7, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in learning about the life and times of one of history's most infamous rulers? If so, please join us Friday night, January 11, 8:00 PM at the Schmerlings (1215 Arcola) to learn about Pharaoh! Refreshments provided by the host family.
Job Assist Events:
* Conquer the Federal Hiring Process. Learn insider tips on federal job searches and master navigation of USAjobs.gov. Wed, Jan 9, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Register (required) at www.jssa.org.
Lost and Found:
* An earring was found at the YISE Social Hall last Shabbos. If you lost an earring, please contact Michael Shimoff at 301-592-1606 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a new program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Sanctuary Lighting – The blinking lights in the sanctuary are due to a ballast problem. Unfortunately, after the front lights were fixed several other ballasts went bad. All of the ballasts will be replaced in the near future. Shortly, a lighting consultant will help us to design new lighting for the sanctuary. Our goal is replace the current lighting with something more attractive and brighter in the next 3-4 months.
Youth and Nursery Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Isser family in memory of Rene's father, Chaim ben Yehudah, and Rene's grandfather, Yehudah ben Gedaliah David; grandfather and great grandfather of David, Yonatan, Ariel and Eitan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Nursery Presents – Camp Shomrai Winter 2013 – Hot chocolate, camp stories, snow balls (if we have any), snow castles, snow men, sno-cones. Send your child for an adventure-filled week of team building and task oriented fun. Davening, arts, crafts, special visitors, dramatic play, sports and games, and building projects will spark the interests and stoke the imaginations of all our campers. Ages 2 through 3rd grade. Dates and times: Tuesday, January 22, through Friday January 25th, $40 per day – 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Extended AM – 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM $8.50 per day.Extended PM (Tuesday through Thursday only) 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM $8.50 per hour per day. Healthy snacks and drinks provided. Please send pareve or dairy lunch. Contact Lianne Heller for more information (301)593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
YISE Nursery – Registration now OPEN-Limited space available. YISE Nursery is a preschool program designed to meet the educational, emotional and physical needs of Orthodox Jewish children. With an energetic staff of trained professionals, we journey with our students in their natural quest to discover our miraculous world. We pride ourselves on our close relationships with our students, their families, and their extended families. Our mission is to engage children in the joy of growth through collaboration, community and responsibility. Our children learn to love Torah, tefillah, middot tovot and chesed through hands on experience and activities. Tour of the school by appointment only. Contact Lianne Heller at 301-593-7365 or email@example.com.
Community Programs and Listings
1st Grade Girls' Shabbos Group will meet on January 5 at the home of Daniella Garfield, 1160 Kersey Road, from 3:30 PM – 4:45 PM.
Bridging Beit Shemesh: Beit Shemesh hit international headlines this year with stories of intolerance and religious radicalism. A secular woman and a Haredi woman use filmmaking to open dialogue between members of communities that rarely interact and often clash. This event includes the screening of their film, created by Israeli women from the Beit Shemesh region, which reflects the diverse meaning of Jewish life in Israel today. The producers will share reflections on the power of the camera to catalyze social change, and several of the "women behind the camera" will talk about the impact of this unique dialogue project. Saturday night, January 12 at 8:00 PM at Woodside Synagogue, co-sponsored by The Jewish Federation.
Camp Gevaldig will be hosting a family bowling event at the College Park lanes on Wednesday, January 23 between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. The price is $6 per person for two hours of bowling. This includes shoes and as much bowling as you can fit into 2 hours. Please reserve your spot by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Everyone is welcome.
The Torah School PTA is once again selling beautiful dried fruit platters for Tu B'Shevat, Shabbos, January 26th. 2 sizes to choose from: small ($14) and large ($20), each with 7 different fruits! Also a 10 inch square wooden box filled with dried fruit for $27. They make beautiful gifts for friends, family, and neighbors. Orders are due by Friday, January 11. For info and orders contact Aviva Rosen, email@example.com or 240-620-6880.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service points may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www. seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
The Week Ahead Sunday, January 6 Monday, January 7 Tuesday, January 8 Wednesday, January 9 Thursday, January 10 Friday, January 11
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 See Shabbos schedule
University 4:50 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:47 PM
January 11-12, 2013 – 1 Shevat 5773
Parshas Vaera – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 4:48 – Havdalah 5:51
* Light Candles by 4:48
* Mincha 4:45 (Sephardi), 4:50 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:30 (Sephardi), 4:45
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:51
Monday, Jan. 7 Man With The Truck & Heads Up Headwear 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 19 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 9, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director