Parashas Shemos – January 20-21, 2017
Download the January 20-21, 2017 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 20-21, 2017 – 23 Teves 5777 – Parshas Shemos – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:57 – Havdalah 6:00
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lee & Craig Oppenheim in honor of Naomi & Rabbi Nathan Fein's 10th Wedding Anniversary.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Libi, to Orly & Shmuel Shulman. Mazal Tov also to great aunt & great uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and to the whole Mishpacha.
* Pesach Yoel (Paul J) Goodnick on the birth of a grandson to Chana Rochel & Ezra Morgenstern of Queens.
There are no Minyanim at University Blvd. this Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 4:57
Arcola: 5:00, Ruach University: N/A Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:55 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:00
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Ari Koretzky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Hector Mariscal in Gratitude to Hashem for the blessings he receiving. For the good health of the Rabbi and the Minyan.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Shani & Yehuda Malka in honor of all people who have come to the Minyan and made it a wonderful success!
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Szyf – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on January 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on January 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on January 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume on January 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on January 25.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday through Friday, 6:25 AM in the Beis Medrash – will resume Tuesday, January 31.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for Women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L – will resume Sunday, February 5.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday, January 20, 5:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
Lost & Found – Items found at YISE recently include a hearing aid and many keys. To claim, contact the YISE office: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 22, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by YISE and KMS to benefit CHANA, a Jewish response to domestic violence. Drop off gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, tablecloths, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) Drop off items at 903 Holborn Street, Silver Spring through January 22 until 10:30 AM. After that bring items to KMS from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM sharp on January 22. To volunteer to help or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org Get tax deduction receipts at drive or email email@example.com
Understanding our Good Fortune – Get each day off to a better start by attending a class on the meaning of Ashrei and a general perspective and Halachic review of Pesukei Dezimrah. Join Rabbi Rosenbaum on three consecutive Tuesday evenings, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM, starting January 24, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, January 28, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Pidyon Shvuyim and Prisoner Exchanges – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture with Rabbi Moshe Hauer. Sunday, Jan. 29 at 10:30 AM at YISE.
SAVE THE DATE: Join the GWCK and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos – Shabbos, February 3-4. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer, Simcha Leiner. Elegant catered Friday night family dinner (adult: $22, children (3-7): $12, children under 3: free) with free babysitting available during the dinner. To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or firstname.lastname@example.org For more information contact Rosh Kollel Rabbi Menachem Winter at 301-213-6504 or email@example.com Sponsorship opportunities available. Please make checks payable to GWCK.
SAVE THE DATE: Shabbos, February 10-11: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – Former "Prisoner for Zion." Author, Unbroken Spirit: A Heroic Story Of Faith, Courage and Survival.
* Friday Evening, 8:30 PM, light refreshments:
Confessions of a Jewish Hijacker
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00):
Keeping Shabbos and Mitzvos Against All Odds – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv:
Tasting and Embracing Freedom: From Prisoner for Zion to Citizen of Zion
Escape your Personal Prison – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich, our Scholar -in-Residence over Shabbos February 10-11, will also speak Sunday morning in the Belonofsky Sanctuary at 10:30 AM, about how we can use Tefilah to overcome our spiritual roadblocks. Part of the Meaningful Tefilah project. To sponsor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Paint Nite – Presented by the YISE Social Committee with Talya Weinberg. Motzei Shabbos, February 18. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting begins at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L – The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to a gathering to mark the first Yahrzeit of its long-time President. Sunday, February 19, 8:00 PM at YISE. Speakers will be Rabbi Yehoshua Wender, Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi Sheftel Neuberger, and Rabbi Menachem Winter.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Oneg Shabbos on Friday, January 27, 8:30 PM – 9:45 PM:
* High School Boys will be learning about "Cases in the Bais Din," given by Rabbi Rosenbaum at 11403 Cloverhill Drive.
* Middle School and High School Girls will be learning about "Unlocking Greatness," given by Mrs. Estee Silver at 1111 Arcola Avenue (Katzoff household).
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Women of all ages are invited to join us for our third annual event, Sunday, February 19, 2017 from 5:45 PM – 7:15 PM. RSVP to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Gale Teitelbaum on the passing of her husband, Naftali Teitelbaum. The funeral took place in Israel on Tuesday. Shiva will be concluded in New York.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur – will resume Tuesday, January 31.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 21, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 3:00 PM.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Jobs – Three free webinars: overview, networking, and getting promoted. Monday, February 6. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA's Career Gateway starts January 23. For info, email Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
Inheritance and Wills in Jewish Law – GWCK Brunch and Learn in DC with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Tuesday, January 24, 12:00 Noon – 12:45 PM. Complimentary lunch. RSVP required to email@example.com At Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP, Room 231, 1111 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Ma Rabu Maasecha Community Science Lecture Series – Dr. Jonathan Mizrahi (UMD) will speak about "Quantum Computing" with Torah Insights from Rabbi Yitzcak Grossman (GWCK). Sunday, January 29, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553
A Dinner of Possibilities – Berman Upper School students invite you to experience their talents and culinary abilities. Sunday, January 29 at Berman. Reception at 5:30 PM followed by seated dinner at 6:30 PM. All proceeds support student activities. Please RSVP on the Berman website: http://www.mjbha.org/Support/Dinner_of_Your_Dreams_RSVP.cfm
An Evening of Magic – Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for an adult evening of smiles and fun as we dedicate the BCGW Smilemakers Program in memory of Rabbi Yosef Samberg A"H. Sunday, January 29 at 7:30 PM at YISE. Elegant desserts will be served. Entertainment by magician Benjamin Nemze. $36 per person.Sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
Fighting Anti-Semitism on Campus: Mid-Atlantic Premier of Hate Spaces: The Politics of Intolerance on Campus – Thursday, February 2, 7:00 PM – 8:45 PM at KMS. Free community event. Sarah Stern, Director of the Endowment for Middle East Truth (EMET), will provide background on the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act that is before Congress now. The film "Hate Spaces" examines the nature of the ideological and organizational assault on campuses across the country. The producers of "Hate Spaces," Charles Jacobs and Avi Goldwasser, will lead a discussion about the film. Sponsored by KMS in cooperation with EMET. For more information, contact Ina Lerman firstname.lastname@example.org
GWCK Men's VIP Trip to Lakewood – An amazing day of learning and inspiration! Sunday, February 12. Learn together with hundreds of Kollel Scholars, hear words of inspiration from the Rosh Hayeshiva, enjoy a private lunch with Rabbi Aaron Kotler, President of BMG Yeshiva, and much more! Trip cost: $85. Includes transportation, breakfast, lunch, and an elegant dinner. Reservations required. Spaces limited. To RSVP or for more information contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at (513) 313-4899; email@example.com
Brand New Boys Baseball League – Starting this spring Ko-ach Sports will be launching a new Sunday only baseball league for boys 1st-6th grade in the Silver Spring Jewish Community. The deadline to sign up is February 1. More information at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at JoshuaRHollander@gmail.com
Mikvah Emunah Society Annual Dinner – Honoring Dr. Caroline Namrow and Rabbi Jacob I. Halpern, Community Service Award. Wednesday, February 15, at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Buffet dinner begins at 6:30 PM. To RSVP or to place an ad in the commemorative journal please visit www.mikvahemunah.org
JCC Maccabi Games – We are looking for participants to join Team Greater Washington at the Mid-Atlantic Junior Games on May 7 (for ages 10-12) and the weeklong JCC Maccabi Games and Arts Fest (for ages 13-16), held this summer in Albany, Birmingham and Miami. Teens do not need to be a member of a JCC to participate. The Games are a week-long Olympic-style event for young Jewish athletes aged 13-16. Athletes interact with other Jewish teens from all over the world through social activities, participate in community service projects, and go home with friendships and memories to last a lifetime! Tryouts for team sports begin this month. For more information visit: www.benderjccgw.org/maccabi
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go?This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org , call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 22 Monday, January 23 Tuesday, January 24 Wednesday, January 25 Thursday, January 26 Friday, January 27
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:05 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 5:05 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
January 27-28, 2017 – 1 Shevat 5777
Parshas Vaera – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 5:05 – Havdalah 6:07
* Light Candles by 5:05
Arcola: 5:05 University: 5:05 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00 University: 5:00 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:07
Friday, January 20 Ruach Minyan, 5:00 PM, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, January 22 Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive, 11:00 AM -1:00 PM at KMS
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 28 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, YISE Social Hall
Shabbos, February 3-4 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Shabbos, February 10-11 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 18 YISE Paint Nite, YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 25 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager