Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 1-2, 2016 – 21 Teves 5776 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:38 – Havdalah 5:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Esther & Dr. Alan Baldinger, Ahuva Engel and Dr. Charles Engel on the marriage of their children, Alix and Josh. Mazal Tov to siblings Leor & Avi Baldinger, Yiscah & Ezra Baldinger, Shmuel Engel, grandchildren, grandparents and extended family members.
* Eva & Ben Bazian on the marriage of their son Sam to Jessica Kowitz, daughter of Edna & Ervin Kowitz of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to Shoshana & Doni Moskowitz, Zachary and Rebecca, and to Sara and Shira Bazian.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the engagement of their grandson, Barak Klammer of Ramat Gan, Israel, son of Rabbi & Mrs. Stuart Klammer to Shira Walfish of Ramat Beit Shemesh.
* The Washington Redskins for winning the NFC East Division.
* Arnold Bramson on the passing of his brother, Harvey Bramson. The funeral took place on Sunday in Connecticut. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 4:38
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:41
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Esther & Eliezer Goldfeiz for the first Yahrzeit of Rav Yechezkel Goldfeiz Z"L.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:35 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein. Director, Interfaith Affairs, Simon Wiesenthal Center; Adjunct Chair, Jewish Law & Ethics, Loyola Law School; Co-Founder, Cross-Currents, Journal of Orthodox Thought.
* Friday Evening, 8:00 PM, light refreshments: Interfaith Alliances and the Support of Israel
* After 8:45 Main Minyan (~11:00): Why the World Still Needs the Jews? – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: How (Not) to Teach Aggada to Children of All Ages: Chazal and Allegoric Method
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment!
Motzei Shabbos, January 2, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Judy & David Marwick. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes!
Help make a Minyan! For the past 2+ years volunteers have been successfully helping University make a Minyan as needed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, due to people moving away, etc., we are again looking for additional volunteers to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Shabbos Minyan. The expectation is that you will be on call only about four times a year. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Try helping the University Blvd Minyan without any long term commitment. Due to January being a 5 weekend month, we are short of two (2) volunteers to potentially help. We need one for Shabbos Vaera (January 8-9) and one for Shabbos Bo (January 15-16). Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able and willing to help the University Blvd Minyan on either of these dates.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, January 4, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM, 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Classes on Shabbos Davening continue on Monday January 4, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM with Rabbi Ozzie Burnham. The class this Monday night will focus on Davening for Friday night Maariv services. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, January 8, 4:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby. For more information, contact email@example.com
The Three C's of Positive Parenting: Communication, Consequences, Consistency – Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Monday, January 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Veteran educator Susan Koss will speak about creating a healthy parenting environment for all the children in your family. Come and please bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Back by Popular Demand: YISE Social Committee Presents: Trivia Night – General knowledge trivia questions. Motzei Shabbos, February 6. Doors open at 7:45 PM, Games begin at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Cost: $3 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Social@yise.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016.
Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:40 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. NOTE EXTENDED TIME FOR SCHOLAR-IN-RESIDENCE.
YISE Youth is going to the Washington Capitals vs. Ottawa Senators game on Sunday, January 10 at 7:00 PM. Tickets are sold out. See you there!
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? Sunday, February 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 6, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
"Ma Rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations" Community Science Lecture Series – "The Discovery of Planets Around Other Stars" by Dr. Avi Mandell, Research Scientist at NASA Goddard's Planetary Systems Laboratory. Sunday, January 10, 12:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553 www.yeshiva.edu
Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Tiferes Gedaliah – 52nd Annual Banquet – Honoring: Sarah & Emil Braun, Rachel & Rabbi Ozzie Burnham, and Rabbi Tani Prero. Ambassador Ron Dermer will deliver special remarks on the current situation in Israel. Sunday, January 10, 6:00 PM. University of Maryland Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center. To RSVP, contact: Donna Goldman at 301-962-5111, ext. 1552 or email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Jobs – Kathryn Troutman will offer four free webinars on federal jobs during the week of January 4. For more info and to register, go to http://www.resume-place.com/services/freewebinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
* Design a Powerful Resume – Free webinar by Lisa Rangel. Two sessions: (1) Tuesday, January 5, 1:30 PM or (2) Thursday, January 7, 7:00 PM. Info and register at www.chameleonresumes.com
* Summer Jobs for 2016 – Kathryn Troutman will present a free webinar on Federal Internship Resumes, Tuesday, January 5, 4:00 PM. Info and register at http://www.resume-place.com/services/ free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job For information on finding a summer job for 2016, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
As you contemplate your year end giving , please consider YISE as a worthy candidate for your gift.
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal
The Eruv is dependent on your contributions to pay for weekly inspections, emergency repairs, regular maintenance (wear-and-tear), and improvements. If you already gave, thank you. If not, the requested contribution is $54 per household. Donations of all sizes are gratefully accepted. Make your check payable to YISE Eruv Fund and mail it directly to the Silver Spring Eruv Association at 11113 Lombardy Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Do not send to YISE and do not give on-line. Thank you. Questions? Contact SSEA at SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 3 Monday, January 4 Tuesday, January 5 Wednesday, January 6 Thursday, January 7 Friday, January 8
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:46 PM
January 8-9, 2016 – 28 Teves 5776
Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:44 – Havdalah 5:47
* Light Candles by 4:44
Arcola: 4:45 University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:47
Shabbos, January 1-2 Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Adlerstein
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 2 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, January 6 Senior Lunch, "Healthy Eating" Speaker: Judie Harvey, nutrition educator
Friday, January 8 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 4:45 PM
Sun./Mon., Jan. 10/11 Used Seforim Sale, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, January 11 The Three C's of Positive Parenting: Communication, Consequences, Consistency
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 6 YISE Social Committee Trivia Night
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 6 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director