Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 28 – 29, 2018 – 21 Teves 5779 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:35 – Havdalah 5:39
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Ezra H. Friedman in appreciation of the roadside assistance furnished Motzei Yom Kippur by Rabbi Hillel Shaps and Mr. Micha Dahan.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the marriage of their grandson, Menachem, son of R' Simmy and the late Miriam Guttman of Milwaukee to Chana Mayerhoff of Hollywood, FL.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the engagement of their grandson, Akiva, son of Miri & R' Reuven Koss of Netivot, to Chani Herman of Yerushalayim.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to Yehudis and Shimon Strauss of Jerusalem. Grandparents are Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of South Fallsburg, NY.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a granddaughter, born to Coralie & Mitchell Teichman.
* Donna Rosenbloom on the passing of her father, Henry Sandler. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva is being observed through Motzei Shabbos at the Sandler home, 1202 Dunoon Ct., Silver Spring, MD 20903. Shiva will continue at the Rosenbloom home, 806 Kersey Rd., from Sunday morning at 10:00 AM through Wednesday morning. The family requests no visitors 12 noon – 1:00 PM, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM, or after 10:00 PM.
* Esther Edeson on the passing of her husband, Jacob Edeson. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva is being observed at 410 Hannes St. through Thursday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday/Tuesday (New Year's Day) 8:00 AM, Monday/Thursday 6:45 AM, Wednesday 7:00 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 4:40pm. The family requests no visitors 12 noon – 1:00 PM, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM, or after 10:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 4:35
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Shabbos Ends: 5:39
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Ari Koretzky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Schwartz and Karlin family in honor of Melanie's special birthday and by Melanie Karlin in honor of her special family.
* 9:15 Minyan – Yair and Aravah Treister in honor of their 9th wedding anniversary.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur following the Rabbi's Drasha, approximately 10:45 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony. The Shiur will take place on Tuesday, January 1, at 6:30 AM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will take place this week in the Beis Medrash.
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE is participating in TEAM Shabbos (postponed from last week), the national initiative to discuss issues relating to end-of-life matters this Shabbos. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at the 8:45 minyan about Halachos and reflections on comforting mourners.
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, December 29, at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by an anonymous sponsor. For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program.or more info., please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Monday, December 31 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM) and Tuesday, January 1 (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM), YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 2, 12 Noon, Social Hall. DVD "The Hope: The Rebirth of Israel" Part I
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Making Sense of Autism – Sunday, January 13, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM. YISE. Small Social Hall. Autism, a developmental disorder that is growing in prevalence, affects social skills, communication, and repetitive behaviors. Awareness and understanding of autism increase the chances of early diagnosis and support. Learn from an expert panel the signs and symptoms of autism, the joys and challenges of parenting, techniques for teaching children with this diagnosis, the perspective of such students, and some Jewish insights on disabilities. Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Shomrai Preschool Presents: How Learning Happens: Why We Do What We Do. Save the Date! Sunday February 3rd 7:30 PM. An experiential, educational evening for parents, open to the entire community. For more information and to RSVP, please email Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Job Opportunity – Shabbos Groups Coordinator – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Coordinator for our weekly Shabbos youth groups for preschool through elementary aged children. This is an excellent opportunity for professional growth. Strong communication, programmatic and interpersonal skills are needed. Experience working with children is a must. Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information or to apply, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 29, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM
"Zmanim – Understanding the Halachic Times that Our Torah Runs On" – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men on Tuesday, January 1, with Rabbi Dovid Heber, Rav of Khal Ahavas Yisroel Tzemach Tzedek in Baltimore. Breakfast will be served at 9:00 AM. Chavrusa Learning 9:30 AM; Shiur at 10:40 AM. YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Rd. Tuesday, January 1, the Shiur will be given by Mrs. Miriam Lipson from Providence, RI.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 2, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Kemp Mill Village Book Swap and Meet a Neighbor "Bingo" – Sunday, January 6, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM at Kemp Mill Elementary School. Save the date and tell your friends! To brighten these quieter days of the winter season and have some fun, join us at a get-together to build community connections. Door prizes, good conversation, and light refreshments. Books can be dropped off in advance at 604 Winona Court, 12 noon – 4:00 PM, January 1.
Music Class for Babies and Toddlers, Ages 0 – 4 – Sunday, January 13, 9:30 AM – 10:15 AM at Berman Hebrew Academy. Coffee, bagels, and schmoozing for the grown-ups and snacks for the kiddos too. Have fun, stay warm, and get a little taste of the Berman Hebrew Academy Preschool. RSVP to Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yad Yehuda Breakfast Save the date! Sunday, February 3, at 9:30 AM at YISE; Second annual Yad Yehuda breakfast, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. Learn more about Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Are you a member of the Mikvah Emunah Society? We know the mitzvah of Taharat Hamishpacha (family purity) is private, but community support of the Mikvah is not! Please support the MES by becoming a member for 2019. Membership donation of $360, or just $30 a month, allows women to use the Mikvah with no fee for 2019, allows for men's use without a fee for the Yomim Noraim, includes voting privileges at our annual meeting, creates educational programs, and is tax-deductible as allowed by law. Please respond by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915, or you can pay the full amount online, or set up a $30 monthly subscription at www.mikvahemunah.com/membership.html
Newly Married? Growing Family? Just need a budget check-up? A new community resource, IZUN, provides financial education and decision-making support for young couples, growing families, and those facing changes in their financial status. IZUN provides tools and trained confidential counselors to help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances, and it has the enthusiastic support of community leaders and Rabbonim. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Boys Baseball & Basketball – Registration is now open! This spring, Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of spring Baseball (1st – 5th grade). We are also excited to announce the launch of winter Basketball (2nd & 3rd grade) with head coach Adam Mervis! All sports play on Sundays. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information.
Camp Chaverim – Registration is now open summer 2019! $250 Early Bird Discount available until December 31st. Camp Dates: June 26 – July 23. Camp Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, Masmidim Division. For more information and to see our new camp video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com or contact us at 410-925-2257 or Chaverim.email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Franco Foundation End-of-year Appeal – Your contribution to the Franco Foundation enables it to continue assisting individuals and families in very tight circumstances to cover their most basic and critical needs. Payments can be mailed to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or you can donate through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 30 Monday December 31 Tuesday, January 1 – New Year's Day Wednesday January 2 Thursday January 3 Friday January 4
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:45 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:44 PM
January 4 – 5, 2019 – 28 Teves 5779
Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:40 – Havdalah 5:44
* Light Candles by 4:40
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:44
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 29 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Monday, December 31 Seforim Sale, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM, Social Hall
Tuesday, January 1 Seforim Sale, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, January 2 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 5 Wine Glass Painting for Singles, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 13 Making Sense of Autism, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 13 Clothing Drive, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, KMS
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 2 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday/Wedneday/ Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Tuesday (New Year's Day), Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager