Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 20-21, 2013 – 18 Tevet 5774 – Parshas Shemos
Light Candles by 4:30 – Havdalah 5:34
* Light Candles by 4:30
* Mincha 4:30, Ruach Minyan, 4:25 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:34
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yedidya Atlas
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Leah & Jonathan Bresler on the lst Yahrzeit of Jonathan's father, Harvey Bresler, Chaim Ben Yitzchak.
* 8 AM Minyan – The Sicherman family in honor of the 3rd Yahrzeit of their beloved husband, father and grandfather, Dr. Harvey Sicherman, Zvi Ben Yitzchak.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Yedidya Atlas.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yedidya Atlas – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rosalyn & Arnold Bramson on the birth of a great-grandaughter, Kayla Rachel Plaut, born to Nomi & Michael Plaut of Flushing, NY.
* Natalie Zimmerman on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Maya, born to Mollie & Avihai Benoni of Be'er Sheva, Israel.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel: * Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
The Friday Evening Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Rene & Rami Isser and family on the occasion of the Yahrzeit of Chaim Ben Yehudah and Yehudah Ben Gedaliah Dovid (Rene's father and grandfather).
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, February 16, 2014
To volunteer to serve on a Banquet Committee, please contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Family Ruach Minyan – This Friday, December 20, at 4:30 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes our Scholar-in-Residence – Lieutenant-Colonel (Res.) Rabbi Yedidya Atlas, Rabbi of IDF Ground Forces Command, Head of Special Projects, IDF Chief Rabbinate.
* Friday at 8:30 PM: How to Make a Jewish Army Jewish
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows): Halachic Issues & Ramifications of a Jewish Army
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Current Security Threats Facing Israel and Possible IDF Strategies
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, December 21, 7:00 PM in Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Shonny Kugler. Open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lots of Fun! (Next session will be January 4.)
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about caring for the ill. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
Traveler's Guide for the Wandering Jew – Rabbi Silver will be giving a two part series on Monday nights December 23 and 30 at 8:00 PM, YISE Beis Medrash.
Community Service Day – Come do a Chesed in conjunction with the DCJCC on December 25. Cosponsored by YISE, KMS, and MJBHA. Visit the Fannie and Elias Gellman Home (Jewish Foundation for Group Homes) in Silver Spring from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Children under 15 need adult supervision. Visit www. yise.org/chesed to sign up. Note there is a $10 tax-deductible fee per person. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com. Also note that these projects are open to all ages but 1 adult per 3 children is required.
An Evening of Chazanus with world-renowned Chazan Benjamin Muller (Chief Chazan of Antwerp, Belgium) – YISE Members are invited to join in celebration of the Bar Mitzvah of Eliezer Kalman Eizenstat. Motzei Shabbos, December 28, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Light refreshments to follow. Admission is free; reservations are requested but not required. Please rsvp to: Chazanmullerconcertrsvp@gmail.com.
What Jewish Educators Want Every Parent to Know – Lianne Heller, Director of the YISE Nursery School, will be the first speaker in an exciting parenting lecture series. Her talk will be entitled "The 7 Essential Life Skills." Sunday, January 5 (NOTE NEW DATE), 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group has met that goal through 2013. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2014. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be setup with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to Elisheva & Itamar Gat and family on the birth of twins this week, a boy and a girl. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night from 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM at the Gat residence, 1000 North Belgrade Rd.
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to initiate a Halachos of Shmiras Haloshon Program – Kick off event on Motzei Shabbos, December 21, at 7:30 PM, SEHC for a Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Video Presentation "From Outside the Camp." Please note this is for women and girls only. The charge for the event is $10. To RSVP and for any questions please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347 or email@example.com.
Mikvah Society Annual Membership Meeting – will take place this Sunday, December 22 at 10:30 AM at KMS. Howie Schulman, former YISE President, will be elected as the incoming Mikvah Society President.
YGW Boys Division invites you to attend the following informative events: * Open House for prospective parents at the home of Naomi & Nechemia Mond, 812 Hyde Court, Monday, December 23, 8:00 PM. * 6th grade Visiting Day at the YGW Boys Campus. Monday, December 30, 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Students will walk through an abbreviated day. * Pizza lunch followed by standardized testing at 1:00 PM for incoming 7th grade students. Sunday, January 5, 12:15 PM, YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Amram Hes at the Yeshiva, 301-649-7077 ext. 1528 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
AMIT – Birah Chapter Game- Join them for a Chinese dinner and games. Tuesday December 24, 7:30 PM at the home of Orlee & Joey Turitz, 504 Hermleigh Rd. Meat and Vegetarian Kosher Chinese from David Chu's of Baltimore. Couvert $25 per person. For more information or to make a reservation, contact Elana Stein at elana. email@example.com or the AMIT office at 410-484-2223 or robbiep@ AMITchildren.org. Don't forget to send your ‘end of year' donation at www.AMITchildren.org.
Chinese and a Movie and other ‘Halachos' Of December 25th – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington- Wednesday, December 25, Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a special shopping event with Double Header (from Brooklyn) selling skirts, shells, jewelry, hair coverings, baby blankets, hosiery. Sunday, January 5, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Maybergs' event room, 411 Hermleigh Rd.
YGW 50th Annual Banquet – Sunday, January 12. Celebrating the living legacy of our founder and Rosh HaYeshiva, Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. Presenting the Akeres HaBayis Award to Mrs. Sima Jacoby for more than 40 years of service to the Yeshiva. For more information visit www.ygwevents.com/50thBanquet or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552.
Join the GWCK as the Winter Semester begins! Choose from a variety of learning opportunities! Join a class or find a study partner. For more information, visit www.gwckollel.org
Year-End-Appeal – Two local foundations provide much needed assistance to a growing number of individuals and families in our community. Your tax deductible donations may be sent to: (1) The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org and (2) the Yehuda Mond Foundation, at http://www.TomcheiShabbosGW.com.
Sulam has been offered a matching grant opportunity for all donations received by December 31. Double your end of year contribution by donating to Sulam at www.sulam.org or mailing your contribution to Sulam, 13300 Arctic Avenue, 20853, 301-962-9400 x5523. Help us reach our goal of $50,000. Every donation counts!
Job Assist Events:
* Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications – Free webinar on Monday, December 23. 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM. Register at http://www. resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
* Photoshop 2 – Intermediate – 4-part series starts Monday, December 23. Register at www.oujobs.org.
* Quickbooks – Intermediate – Tuesday, December 24, afternoon and evening classes. Register at www.oujobs.org.
* LinkedIn–Beginners – Free. Wednesday, January 8, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Register at www.jssa.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 22 Monday, December 23 Tuesday, December 24 Wednesday, December 25 Thursday, December 26 Friday, December 27
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:29 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:40 PM
December 27-28, 2013 – 25 Tevet 5774
Parshas Vaera – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:34 – Havdalah 5:38
* Light Candles by 4:34
* Mincha 4:35, 4:30 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:15 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:38
Friday, December 20 Ruach Minyan, 4:30, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, December 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yedidya Atlas
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 21 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Shabbos, December 28 Bar Mitzvah of Eliezer Kalman Eizenstat
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 4 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 25, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director