Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 21-22, 2014 – 20 Adar II 5774 – Parshas Shemini – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 7:03 – Havdalah 8:02
* Light Candles by 7:03
* Mincha 7:05 (Arcola and Univ.), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:45 (Sephardi), 7:00 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:02
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Chaim Neustadter on the Yahrzeit of his father, Israel Neustadter, Israel Reuven Ben Alexander Sender. The Cholent is provided by Chaim Neustadter and Miriam & Yekhiel Weill.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rene & Avraham Isser on the engagement of their son David to Pela Blitz of Las Vegas, NV.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Mrs. Frieda Bart on the marriage of their granddaughter, Sarah, to Yisrael Caplan. Mazal Tov also to Uncle Jonathan and Aunt Sharon & Uncle Moshe Caplan and to great-grandmother Mrs. Bertha Blumenthal.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the birth of a granddaughter to their children, Rivka & Tani Friedman, of Hollywood, FL. Mazal Tov also to great-grandfather Jack Mehlman and to the the uncles and aunt, Shlomo, Yoni & Rivky & Moshe, and to big sister Rayna.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the engagement of their grandson, Benjy Spiro, son of Helen & Joseph Spiro of Teaneck, to Leah Lousky, daughter of Debbie & Haim Lousky of Calabasas, California.
* Aliza Chlewicki on the passing of her father, Robert Sacknovitz. The funeral took place last week. Shiva will be held through Sunday morning in New Jersey.
* Ranee Lewison on the passing of her father, Robert Lewison. The funeral took place in Israel last week. Shiva will be observed at 11207 Healy St. through Tuesday morning.
* Jeffrey Weinstein on the passing of his father, Victor Weinstein. The funeral took place on Friday in New York. Shiva will be observed in New York until Monday noon. Shiva will continue at 614 Hyde Road from Sunday evening through Thursday morning. Minyan schedule is as follows: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 7:10. Shacharis: Monday, Thursday: 7:30, Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:45.
* Deborah Zakheim on the passing of her mother, Emmy Bing. The funeral took place last week. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will begin studying Haftoros.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
The New Shul Membership Directory was mailed this week. Thank you to the several volunteers who helped get the mailing ready. Your time and effort was certainly appreciated and helped get it out the door. If there are any corrections or changes needed or noted, please send them to email@example.com
"Peace in the Home" 3-Part Community-Wide Lecture Series – The GWCK, in conjunction with SEHC, YISE, and WSAT, invites the community to the third lecture in the series, "Two Parts of a Whole: Self-Actualization and Marriage," presented by Rabbi Moshe Hauer, Monday, March 24, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. Open to men and women. Admission is free.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. So far over 60% of the sections have already been claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Blood Drive in Memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, A"H – Sunday, March 30, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Make your lifesaving appointment today! Visit inova.org/donateblood and click on "Schedule a Donation," then click on "Donate Blood," and use Sponsor Code 8030, or contact Eli Landy at 301-681-0673, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations Sought – The YISE nominating committee has been appointed and is soliciting names of members in good standing who would be willing to serve for trustee and officer positions. Please email recommendations or questions to committee chair Stuart Rosenthal at email@example.com by April 2.
Be a Part of the Global Good Deeds Day – Clean the parks – Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park and Sligo Creek Park on Sunday, April 6 anytime from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sponsored by YISE, KMS, and MJBHA Chesed Committees. Meet at the KM Shopping Center Park by the steps to get gloves, trash bags, and a tee shirt (while supplies last). Upper School students will receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday April 7, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1 1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Pirchei is starting! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to Pirchei! Begining this Shabbos, Parshas Shemini, March 22, in the Yeshiva classrooms, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM.
MJBHA PTO/Vaad Horim Annual Boutique – Sunday, March 23, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM in the MJBHA cafeteria. For more information, contact Tamar Teitelbaum at 301-593-7059 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Robin Hood and His Merry Men – Presented by the MJBHA Middle School Hebrew Academy Dramatic Arts Society. By Richard Gremel. Sunday, March 23 at 5:00 PM and Monday, March 24 at 6:30 PM. Tickets: Students $3, Adults $5. MJBHA, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 orPearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE and Beyond
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Handmade Shmurah Matzah, Regular or Whole Wheat will be available from Pupa Zehlem Bakery at $21.99 per pound. Order deadline is Monday, March 31. To order, send an e-mail to email@example.com and include the number of pounds of regular and whole wheat. Matzah may be picked up Tuesday, April 8, or Wednesday, April 9, from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. Online ordering at www.yise.org/matzah
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur will be held on Wednesday, April 2, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Hachnosas Orchim – We are looking for members who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of hosting singles, couples or families at their Seder. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the list.
Preparing For Pesach: A Review – A Focus on Halacha Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, March 31, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more info please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – Donate by calling 443-539-1465, on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chittim."
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The Pesach Chometz Riddance Food drive, which runs through April 10, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank for distribution to needy individuals and families. Synagogues in Kemp Mill and the Washington area, along with other organizations, such as day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes, take part. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Social Hall.
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – for 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers, with Morah Elise Schloss! Join us for puppets, Parsha stories, singing, movement, Shabbos party, socialization, and art experiences. Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register to firstname.lastname@example.org or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – a summer camp for preschool ages 2 to 5. Give your child a healthy, happy and joyful summer of discovery and learning through play and exploration. Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 is open – A few spots in some age groups remain available. Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour. YISE Nursery is in search of an outstanding lead teacher for next school year. A lead teacher at YISE Nursery is a role model in Torah observance who has a profound respect for children and their natural desire to explore the world. Five years experience, a degree in early childhood education, and familiarity with an emergent curriculum is preferred. Please apply for this position by sending a resume and cover letter to Lianne Heller, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 23 Monday, March 24 Tuesday, March 25 Wednesday, March 26 Thursday, March 27 Friday, March 28
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:15 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:05 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
March 28-29, 2014 – 27 Adar II 5774
Parshas Tazria – Parshas Hachodesh –
Light Candles by 7:09 – Havdalah 8:09
* Light Candles by 7:09
* Mincha 7:10 (Arcola), 7:00 (University, Sephardi, Nusach Sefard)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 (Sephardi), 7:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:09
Monday, March 24 Basic Colors, Arcola Social Hall 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
Monday, March 24 GWCK – R' Moshe Hauer's Lecture
Tuesday, March 25 Elzee's, Arcola Social Hall 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Sunday, March 30 Blood Drive, YISE Social Hall
Wednesday, April 2 Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Shiur
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 26, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director