The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 1-2, 2016 – 23 Adar 2 5776
Parshas Shemini / Parshas Parah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:14 (and not before 6:14) – Havdalah 8:14
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Harriet & Ernie Brodsky in honor of their grandson Aryeh Miller's Hanachas Tefillin.
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Nechama. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Eli Moshe, son of Sara & Simmy Zimbalist of Beit Shemesh.
* Light Candles by 7:14, and not before 6:14
Arcola: 6:30, 7:15, Ruach University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:14
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Broder family in honor of Alan's birthday and co-sponsored by Chaim Neustadter on the occasion of the Yahrtzeit of his father, Israel Neustadter.
* Sephardi Minyan – Sami & Naomi Bitton in honor of their new baby boy and by David Mordechai
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – The Broder family in honor of Batsheva and
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:05 PM
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Mussar Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at at University – will resume after Pesach.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays following mincha/maariv in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, April 1, at 7:15 in the Arcola Social Hall. Though there is no formal children's program, all are welcome to join and bring in Shabbos with us. If you have any questions or would like further information, email email@example.com
Planting Flowers Around the Shul – We are seeking people who can volunteer time and / or money in an initiative to plant flowers around the exterior of the Shul. Our first priority is the new security planters. This will be done after all danger of frost is passed, probably after April 6, with deer resistant varieties. Please contact Stuart Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-943-5153 to offer assistance. Make checks payable to YISE and note the purpose is "planting flowers." We hope to add color and enhance the beauty of our facility with a collaborative effort in which we can share further pride of accomplishment. Thank you in advance for your support.
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day – Join us in a Park Cleanup on Sunday, April 10 anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by the parking lot near Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome: http://www.yise.org/park Good Deeds Day 2016 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; and our Park Cleanup project is organized by KMS, YISE, BHA, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. We need volunteers to hand out tee shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – email@example.com
Nominations Sought – The YISE nominating committee has been appointed and is soliciting names of members in good standing who would be willing to serve for trustee and officer positions. Please send recommendations, self-nominations or questions to committee chair Stuart Rosenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 4.
Official Opening of the Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah – YISE invites the community to the on Sunday, April 10 at 11:00 AM. Light refreshments will be served.
The YISE Shomrai Nursery School is looking for prizes for our Annual PTA Lag B'Omer Raffle! Our raffle raises money for school improvements, teacher appreciation, and school activities. Please consider having your business donate a service or product. Your business will get advertising on our announcements. Or feel free to donate in honor of or in memory of someone. Items we are looking for: gift certificates, baby gear, electronics, outings/kid activities, gift certificates to restaurants, toys, kitchen gadgets, etc. Please contact Emily at Todd.email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
"Have Faith!" Easier Said Than Done – The YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project presents a Shabbaton on Emunah featuring Rabbi Motty Berger from Aish HaTorah on May 6 and 7. Hold the date. Kiddush and Shabbaton sponsors are welcome. For details, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. 47% of sections have been claimed – there's less than 7 weeks to go. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Important Announcement Regarding Maryland Primary Voting – This year's primary is on Chol Hamoed Pesach. We have contested races for president, U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and your vote is important. For those who will be away (or just too busy) during the holiday, early voting is available from April 14 through April 21. Absentee ballots are also available. For more information on hours and locations, see http://www.elections.state.md.us/voting/early_voting.html
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, Sunday April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Nonfood items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Brace Yourself – Pesach is Coming
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Kiddush Club.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for fun Parsha activities! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department is pleased to announce that we will be offering early care for groups for ages 2-5!!! Drop off your children in the Groups Room behind the women's balcony starting at 9:30 AM. Regular programming will run from 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please note that the times and locations for 1st-4th grade groups remains unchanged. In order to assess demand, we will continue to offer early care as a pilot for the week of April 2. At the end of this time, we will determine whether there is enough demand to continue this program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Second Annual Lag Ba'Omer Event at the Adventure Park at Sandy Spring – Join YISE Youth on Thursday, May 26 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Whether you went last year and want to do it again, or if this is your first time, don't miss out on this opportunity to register for a great experience! Cost is $36 per person. Children 5-6 years old are free with a paying adult (1:1). All checks must be submitted to the Shul office by April 24. For more info, contact email@example.com
Pesach Preparations YISE and Beyond
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, April 4, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the Halachos of Chametz on Pesach. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Landmark Wine Sale – Last chance. Pesach deadline is April 6. Delivery is April 13. For more information, visit www.yise.org/wine
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 10, at KMS, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring: hats, shells, skirts, modest work-out clothes, modest bathing suits, girls' and ladies' hair accessories, kippot, tzitzit, kosher for Pesach skin care, make-up, and Shabbos make-up, more. Raffles, refreshments.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Monday, April 11, 8:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Handmade Shmurah Matzah, regular or whole wheat, will be available from Shatzer Bakery at $23 per pound. Order deadline is 3:00 PM, Wednesday, April 6. To order, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the number of pounds of regular and whole wheat. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, April 13, or Thursday, April 14, from 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE in the Arcola Social Hall. Online ordering at www.yise.org/matzah
Chometz Riddance and Spring Food Drive – Make a tangible contribution for those in need in our local community. It's easy! Put your donated items in the food bank collection box in the lower lobby through April 20. All items must be unopened and non-perishable. No glass jars please! We accept boxed and canned food – grains, vegetables, fruits, healthy snacks, beans, etc. Donations will benefit the Capital Area Food bank (www.capitalareafoodbank.org), which distributes to hundreds of local organizations that feed hundreds of thousands in our region, Including supplying our community's Kosher Food Pantry.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chitim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Maryland's 8th Congressional District Candidate Forums –
* Democratic: Tuesday, April 5, 7:30 PM at KMS.
* Republican: Thursday, April 14, 7:00 PM at YISE.
Presented by the OU Advocacy Center. For security reasons, pre-registration is required. To RSVP please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Jewish Genetics: Protecting the Health of our Families and our Communities – Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Wednesday, April 6, from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy for a lecture featuring Nicole Schreiber Agus.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, April 6, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Good Deeds Day (GDD) – Sunday, April 10, BCGW is building a vegetable garden at the Bernard Creeger Bikur Cholim House in Bethesda and we need help! No special skills are required to help; just a willingness to get a little dirty. Registration for GDD is at gooddeedsdaygw.org or 888-246-1818.
Creating, Keeping, and Perpetuating Memory: The Challenges of Being Able to Change our Genes – Please join Sulam for the Linda Kahan A"H Memorial Lecture on Sunday April 10 at 10:00 AM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Guest Speaker, Dr. Joshua Milner. $36 per person – Breakfast will be served. Sponsorships available. RSVP by contacting Ahuva Orlofsky at firstname.lastname@example.org or on the Sulam website www.sulam.org/new-events/
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Cracking the Code – Free webinar. Thursday, April 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. For more info and to register, please visit www.federaljobresults.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 3 Monday, April 4 Tuesday, April 5 Wednesday, April 6 Thursday, April 7 Friday, April 8
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:54 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
April 8-9, 2016 – 1 Nissan 5776
Parshas Tazria / Parshas Hachodesh / Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:21 – Havdalah 8:21
* Light Candles by 7:21, and not before 6:18
Arcola: 6:30, 7:25 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 University: 7:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:21
Friday, April 1 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 7:15
Sunday, April 3 YISE Annual Banquet
Wednesday April 6 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall,
Speaker: Lou Numkin, "My Trip to Israel"
Monday, April 11 Pre-Pesach Review Shiur, Arcola Social Hall, 8:15
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 6 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director