Download the April 5-6 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 5-6, 2013 – 26 Nissan 5773 – Parshas Shemini / Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:17 (and not before 6:16) – Havdalah 8:18
* Light Candles by 7:17, and not before 6:16
* Mincha 6:30, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:20
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 (Sephardi), 7:15 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:18
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Dr. Ranon Cortell
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Trish Weisman & John Golin in memory of Seth Weisman Z"L. John will be making a Siyum on Meschet Taanit immediately after Davening. The Golin/Weisman family is grateful to the YISE community for its support and learning during a very difficult period.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:15 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Spring Semester will begin on Sunday, April 14. Learn about our many exciting classes and programs at gwckollel.com or email us at email@example.com.
YISE ANNUAL BANQUET, SUNDAY, APRIL 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Aryeh Broth, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Yehudah Mehlman, Yehudah Rudack, Esther Widitor.
Like YISE on Facebook:
* Florence & Dr. Joel Avigan on a great grandson born in Israel. The parents are Avital & Yitzchak Chajbi of Ramat Beit Shemesh. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents and all the Mishpocha.
* Emily & Todd Friedman on the birth of a baby girl, Chaya Rachel.
* Shira & Eli Spilman on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal to the siblings, Leah and Yosef. The Shalom Zachor will be held at their home, 613 Hyde Road at 9:00 PM.
* Ethan Cohen on the passing of his father, Dr. Seth Cohen, The funeral took place in Oak Park, MI over Pesach. Shiva will be observed in Southfield, MI, (248) 356-8889, through Monday morning.
* Stuart Cohen on the passing of his mother, Roberta Cohen. The funeral took place in Baltimore on Friday. Shiva will be observed at 11408 Monticello Ave. through Thursday morning. Shacharis: Sunday 7:30am, Monday through Thursday 7:15am; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Wednesday: 7:20pm.
* Howard Reichman on the passing of his father, Rabbi Boruch Reichman. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed in Israel and Milwaukee through Thursday morning. He can be reached at 310-721-7266.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Adult Education Committee Invites you to the Third Annual Siyum Tanach Commemorating the Yahrzeit of Rav Gedaliah Anemer ZT"L on April 13 with a Seudah Shlishit. A community-wide completion of learning Tanach, as well as a siyum on Mesechet Shabbos. The Seudah will take place in the Arcola Social Hall after the 7:00 Mincha Minyan and the Sefardi Mincha minyan. Please help defray the cost of this community-wide event by being a sponsor. (Suggested contribution $36.) Call the YISE office at 301-593-4465 ext. 403 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor.
UPDATED List of Stores Where Chometz May Be Purchased Immediately After Pesach: All establishments under Capitol-K supervision and BJ's, CVS, Brookville Market, Costco, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, K-Mart, H-Mart – Han Ah Rum, MOM's, Petco, Petsmart, Rite-Aid, Royal Farms, Potomac Wine and Spirits, Sam's Discount Warehouse, Shoppers Food Warehouse, ShopRite, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegman's, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie. Please note that CHOMETZ CANNOT BE PURCHASED AT GIANT, SAFEWAY, OR TARGET immediately after Pesach as the distributor who supplies these stores is Jewish. Chometz may be purchased from these stores beginning April 28. There are other stores that are still under investigation; we will inform you as soon as we clarify their status. Anyone with questions about specific stores or products is welcome to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Topics in Jewish History – presented by Rabbi Greengart on Monday, April 8, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
National Council of Young Israel / YISE present Springtime in Silver Spring, a Shabbaton for Singles (ages 35-55), April 26-28. Early registration deadline is April 14. Shabbaton features: Home hospitality, gourmet catered meals, speed dating and other interactive activities. Shabbos meals, Melava Malka and Sunday Brunch. For more information visit www.yise.org or contact Rebbetzin Judi Steinig at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-929-1525 x112.
Job Assist Events:
* 2-Day Job Search Boot Camp – Covers networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Wednesday – Thursday, April 10-11, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Sold out but wait list open. Free (normally $50). 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* Computer Training Online – (1) Advanced CAD, (2) Dreamweaver—Intermediate, and (3) Excel—Intermediate. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* LinkedIn-Intermediate Users – Wednesday, April 17, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Requirements and register at www.jssa.org.
YISE and KMS Annual Yom Hashoah V'Hagvurah Commemoration
Presents Susan Taube
Susan Taube, now a Maryland resident, was born a world away in the small town of Vacha in prewar Germany. By the time she was thirteen, she and her family had fled to Frankfurt because conditions in her town worsened. The November pogrom known as Kristallnacht resulted in her father's brief incarceration in the Buchenwald Concentration Camp. Forced to emigrate, he settled in Baltimore and sadly could not bring his family out. Susan, her mother and sister were subjected to harsh forced labor, first in Germany and then in Latvia. Only Susan survived. At the close of the war, she endured a ten-day forced march of over 90 miles to another camp. She was liberated by the Soviets in 1945. With no family left, she was sent alone to work on a Soviet farm. Eventually, a kinder fate led her to work in a town where she met a Polish Jew named Herman Taube, who soon became her husband. She reunited with her father, when the Taubes moved to Baltimore, where they also raised a family.
Monday, April 8, at 7:30 PM
YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary
Mincha at 7:10 PM; Maariv to follow program.
Children Grade 5 and older are encouraged to attend.
For transportation, please call YISE or KMS during office hours.
Many of our community members receive their income, whether directly or indirectly, from the federal government. The Pesach season involves a certain amount of financial stress when all things are going as expected. The government sequester, particularly at this time of year, creates great concern. I would urge anyone affected by economic concerns, be they short-term or long-term, to contact me. I can be reached at email@example.com or 301-593-4465, ext. 405. All conversations will be kept in the strictest confidence.
Sincerely, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to former longtime member, Marcia Goodman, on the engagement of her son, Sholom, to Aviva Honikman of Cedarhurst.
Kemp Mill Pirchei will be meeting from 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. This week's Pirchei is sponsored by Judy & Dr. David Marwick in commemoration of Rav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L Yahrzeit. If you're interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
The Adult (Bar Mitzvah and up) Softball Season will be starting up on April 7 at 10:00 AM at the Colesville Rec Center. We could really use a good turnout to start the season. If you are interested please contact Ira Thompson at 240-997-4209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Yeshiva of Greater Washington invites the Community to join with its students in a Men's Learning Program L'Zecher Nishmas our Rav and Rosh Hayeshiva, Moreinu HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, on Sunday, April 14, 4 Iyar. Davening at 7:30 AM. Chavrusa learning at 9:30 AM. Shiur by Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky at 10:30 AM on "Brachos under the Chupah" Kesubos 7b. Followed by Divrei Zicharon [Words of Remembrance] by Rabbi David Hyatt. Yeshiva Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Ave. Light Refreshments after davening. For more information please call R' Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392. Source sheets for the shiur will be posted at www.yeshiva.edu
Chessed Task Force – Chaverim 24/6 Hotline – 301-352-1111 – A dedicated team of volunteers committed to volunteer their time, skills, resources, and expertise at one's time of need. 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. Our general services: Jump Starts, Auto/house lockouts, Spare tire change, Spare gas, Generators for life critical needs, Rapid mobilizations for disaster relief services, Shiva minyan help.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
A special thanks to Ben Yehuda Pizza for supplying the first two pizza's out of the oven for this year's Annual Motzei Pesach Pizza Raffle. Congrats to our winners the Karkowsky and Weinstein families. And thanks to all who participated to support ongoing youth programming in our Shul.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 7 Monday, April 8 Tuesday, April 9 Wed., April 10 Rosh Chodesh Thurs., April 11 Rosh Chodesh Friday, April 12
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:10 6:10 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:00 6:00 6:15
Arcola 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:25 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:50 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
April 12-13, 2013 – 3 Iyar 5773
Parshas Tazria / Metzora
Light Candles by 7:24 – Havdalah 8:25
* Light Candles by 7:24, and not before 6:21
* Mincha 6:30, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:25
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 (Arcola and Sephardi), 7:20 (Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:25
Monday, April 8 Yom Hashoah V'Hagvurah Commemoration
Shabbos, April 13 Third Annual Siyum Tanach
Sunday, April 14 YISE Annual Banquet
Wednesday, April 17 Senior Lunch, Arcola at 12 Noon
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 10, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director