Parashas Re'eh/Rosh Chodesh – August 14-15, 2015
Download the August 14-15, 2015 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 14-15, 2015 – 30 Av 5775 – Parshas Re'eh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:46 (and not before 6:39) – Havdalah 8:47
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers: Emanuel Kramer (Menachem Nosson Ben Mordechai HaKohen) and Aaron Radkowsky (Aharon Ben Leib Zalman HaKohen).
* Light Candles by 7:46, and not before 6:39
Arcola: 6:20, 6:50, 7:50 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 6:20 and 7:50 Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall. The 6:50 will be Ruach in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00, 7:45 University: 7:45 Sephardi: 7:10 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Ginsburg family in honor of Sahra & Yale Ginsburg's 30th wedding anniversary.
* Sephardi Minyan – The Khaldar Family in memory of Avraham Ben Mitra and by Yaakov Zuares in memory of his grandfather, Yaakov Ben Miriam.
* University – "Rosh Chodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Raph Ginsburg with gratitude for the wonderful programs sponsored by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Sephardi Shiur – Shiur at 6:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Leah Covel on the marriage of her son, Raphael, to Galya Nissenbaum in Yerushalim. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Shoshana & Eliezer Kolatch of Teaneck, Kfirah of Tel Aviv, and Barak of Denver.
* Valerie & Daniel Kugler on the engagement of their daughter, Melanie, to Shlomo Fishman, son of Shulamis & Mattis Fishman of Monsey. Mazal Tov to Melanie's siblings Tara, Max, and Zachary and to grandmother Shonny Kugler.
* Elaine & Rabbi William Millen on the marriage of their grandson, Gavriel Velenski, son of Penina & Jack Velenski of Brooklyn, to Loni Stahler, daughter of Esti & Ushi Stahler of Lawrence, NY.
* Elaine & Larry Rubin on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yoni. Mazal Tov to big sister, Penina.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a grandson to their children Sarah & Zvi Tolchinsky of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to the baby's four brothers, to grandparents Miriam & Sheldon Feinstein, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the birth of a granddaughter, Margalit Reva, born to Aliza Machefsky & Joseph Zimbalist of Bala Cynwyd, PA.
* Hedy Ross on the passing of her mother, Flora Strachman. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva will be observed at 11501 Colt Terrace through Monday morning. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 7:55. There will not be a Shacharis Minyan in the Shiva house.
YISE Programs and Listings
L'Shana Shel Kavanah – Towards a Year of Meaningful Prayer: A Shabbaton: Rosh Chodesh Elul, August 14-15, 2015:
* Friday, August 14:
* 6:50 PM – "Ruach" Kabbalas Shabbos, Belonofsky Sanctuary, Rafi Katz, Baal Tefilah
* Shabbos, August 15:
* 8:45 Main Minyan, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Shacharis: Rabbi Azriel Burnham, Baal Tefilah
* D'var Torah: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
* Musaf: Michael Belgrade, Baal Tefilah
* 11:30 AM – Community Kiddush
* 7:00 PM – Mincha, Belonofsky Sanctuary. Followed by Seudah Shlishit with Zemiros, Social Hall, Speaker: Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, "The 7 Unhabits of Highly Effective Daveners." PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED. All table seating for the Seudah has been reserved. Others are welcome to sit in chairs around the room to hear Rabbi Reingold and join in the singing.
* 9:10 PM – Musical Havdalah and Melavah Malkah/Kumsitz, Social Hall, Music led by Yisroel Juskowitz. Interspersed with stories from Rabbi Binyamin Silver. Refreshments served. Free to all.
Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For questions, or to volunteer or sponsor, contact email@example.com
Machzor Review – Get inspired for the Yomin Noraim with two classes with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Study the Rosh Hashana Musaf, Monday, August 24, at 8:15 PM., and the Yom Kippur Viduy (confession), Monday, August 31, at 8:00 PM, both in the small Social Hall. Bring your favorite Machzor. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
High Holiday Planning:
* Seat forms and information were mailed to all members. The seating forms and information are available in the boxes outside the Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash, and are also available on the Shul web site. The form can be completed on-line. It can then be mailed or dropped off with payment at the Shul or via e-mail, or call the Shul bookkeeper with credit card numbers.
* RH and YK Babysitting for childen ages 2-9 years old for $10 per child. Please see the flyer in the social hall lobby or contact email@example.com for more information.
Refuah Shlema to Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer, Yocheved Bas Gittel. She is presently at her daughter's, Ottie Kahana, in Baltimore (410) 764-1307.
YISE Social Committee Annual End of Summer BBQ – Sunday, August 23, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM at the Yeshiva Boys' Campus. Good times and good food. Games for all ages. $10 (adult), $5 (ages 2-8). For more details and to RSVP/Prepay go to www.yise.org/bbq For more information or to volunteer, contact firstname.lastname@example.org In case of rain, the event will be held at YISE.
Help Make a Minyan – For the past 2 years you have been successfully helping University Blvd. Shul make a Minyan over Shabbos. However we need to refresh our rotation list with additional volunteers. As a volunteer you will be asked to attend Friday night and/or Shabbos services at University Blvd. only 4 times a year, if we anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this Mitzvah of helping to preserve a Minyan.
YISE Dedication Opportunities – Please take a moment to check out the YISE website www.yise.org to see exciting new naming opportunities available. Leaves, bricks, business card ads, and dedications are just some of the newly added content. Keep checking back as much more is planned in the very near future to enhance your experience at YISE.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Haimish Kiddush Group is looking for new members for Fiscal Year 2016. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on August 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on August 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – Program is on summer break and will resume later in Elul.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – Shiur is on summer break and will resume later in August.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall – will resume on August 20.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week. The Minyan will resume on Shabbos Parshas Shoftim, August 22.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Second Annual Parsha and Popsicles in the Park – Shabbos, August 15 at 5:00 PM. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552 – will resume on August 26.
Join the GWCK for the new Semester! Beginning this Sunday, August 16, check out classes and learning opportunities around the Greater Washington area and in your neighborhood!
Machzor Review – Get inspired for the Yomin Noraim! Study parts of the Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur Tefilah with this informal learning group. One more Monday night, August 17, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM, at the home of Stuart & Judy Rosenthal, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Bring your favorite Machzor, preferably with commentary. For information, firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 19, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Lifnei Iver – The Laws of Impacting Others – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to the Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men, a morning of Yeshiva learning Sunday, August 30, YGW Boys Campus. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org Sponsored L'iluy Nishmas Frances Carol (Taylor) Eizenstat by Jessica & Jay Eizenstat.
The Mikvah Emunah Society 2015 Dinner, honoring Donna & Jeff Lawrence will be held on Wednesday, September 2. To reserve seats online, go to http://mikvahemunah.com/Dinner.html, or mail in your RSVP card that came by mail.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Rosh Hashana Boutique – Sunday, September 6, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, at the Berman home in Potomac,11705 Gainsborough Road. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman: email@example.com or 301-351-1725
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* LinkedIn – Use LinkedIn to Boost Your Personal Brand. Online. Wednesday, August 12, 6:30 PM , or Thursday, August 13, 6:30 PM. Free. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 16 – Rosh Chodesh Monday, August 17 Tuesday, August 18 Wednesday, August 19 Thursday, August 20 Friday, August 21
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 5:15 (Selichos), 7:10 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15 5:15 (Selichos), 7:10 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15
Arcola 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:32 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
August 21-22, 2015 – 7 Elul 5775
Light Candles by 7:37 – Havdalah 8:36
* Light Candles by 7:37, and not before 6:31
Arcola: 6:15, 6:40, 7:40 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 University: 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:36
Shabbos, August 14-15 Rosh Chodesh Elul Shabbaton: "L'shana Shel Kavanah."
Shabbos, August 15 Parsha and Popsicles in the Park, 5:00 PM
Sunday, August 16 Bar Mitzvah of Yoni Rubin, 8:45 Minyan
Wednesday, August 19 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12:00 Noon Speaker: Dr. Gilda Haber, "Sumptuary Law"
Sunday, August 23 YISE Social Committee BBQ
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 19 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director