Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 10 – 11, 2018 – 30 Av 5778 – Parshas Re'eh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:51 – Havdalah 8:52
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers, Emanuel Kramer, Menachem Nosson ben Mordechai HaKohen, and Aaron Radkowsky, Aharon ben Leib Zalman HaKohen.
* David Abrams on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Rena Greenfield & Ori Kanefsky of Berkely, CA.
* Esther & Alan Baldinger, Ahuva Engel, and Dr. Charles Engel on the birth of a grandson, born to Alix and Josh Baldinger. Mazal Tov also to all the siblings, cousins, and extended family. The Shalom Zachor is scheduled for 9:30 PM – 11:30 PM at 700 Bromley St.
* Brenda Eisenberg on the marriage of her grandson, Moshe, son of Janet & Daniel Eisenberg of Bala Cynwd, PA, to Tehila Lachman, daughter of Zissel Lachman of West Hempstead, NY.
* Rachel & Michael Harris on the birth of a grandson, Nosson Yoseph, son of Ayala and Isaac Pearl. Mazal Tov to the great – grandparents, aunts, uncle and extended family.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson born to their grandchildren Rivki & Yaakov Lichter. Mazal Tov to grandparents Alyson & Rabbi Daniel Lerner, Miriam & Bernie Lichter, great-grandmother Joan Pincus and great-greatgrandmother Dena Lerner Gerber.
* Sara Silver on the upcoming marriage of her daughter, Nomi Kates, to Cobi Goldman of Chicago. Mazal Tov as well to grandmother Vivian Silver.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the birth of a grandson, born to their children Naomi and Matt Lubin. Mazal Tov to the great-grandparents, Mrs. Sheva Wakschlag and Judith & Rabbi Yaakov Halpern, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and extended family.
* Our beloved Gat Family as they return to their home in Eretz Yisroel.
* Eli Spilman on the passing of his brother, Moshe Spilman. Shiva was completed on Thursday.
* Dalia Weiss on the passing of her mother, Tova Stein. Shiva is being observed in Israel until Monday morning. Dalia can be reached during Shiva at 972-35221848 (house) or 972-537162443 (cell).
* Light Candles by 7:51, and not before 6:42
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Shabbos Ends: 8:52
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Reuven Brand
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Leah & Yoni Bresler in honor of all of their grandchildren.
* Sephardi Minyan – Cheryl & Michael Gabai and family in memory of her father, Samuel Rutta, Shmuel ben David.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Reuven Brand.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Reuven Brand – Shiur after Mincha
Scholar in Residence
The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes
Rabbi Reuven Brand
Rosh Kollel, YU Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago
Bobins Family Chair in Community Jewish Scholarship
Shabbos Re¡¦eh – August 11
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – "Elul: Somber or Celebration?" *Kiddush Follows*
* One Hour Before Mincha – "A Vision of Chesed"
* Between Mincha and Maariv – "The Secret to Preparing for the Days of Awe: Community"
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume August 19.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will resume August 19.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361, will resume August 20.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will resume August 20.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: Sefer Yonah, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 14.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in late August.
YISE Programs and Listings
"Maximizing Elul" – women's shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum, Sunday night, August 12, 8:30 PM at the home of Nancy Karkowsky, 1142 Kersey Road.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, August 15, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler – "The Impact of Global Warming on the State of Israel"
Living with Dementia – Sunday, August 19, 10:30 AM – 12:15 PM, YISE Social Hall. Learn the difference between ordinary memory decline and dementia. Understand changes that result from dementia, and legal and financial steps one should take. Hear from experts, caregivers and a senior in the early stage of dementia. Each of us can play a role in supporting community members affected by dementia. Attend this free presentation and panel discussion presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Dementia Friendly America, and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
High Holiday Seats – Rosh Hashanah is exactly one month away. Have you forgotten to reserve your seats? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office as soon as possible.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office as soon as possible
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 12. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollarshave been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Babysitting will be offered for 2-10 year olds at $10 per child, per day from 10am-1pm. Spots are limited. Contact email@example.com to pay and reserve a spot. Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity
The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool News
Still Time to Register – Our classes are filling up but there are still a few spaces in our 2 year old, 3 year old, and Pre-K programs. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We look forward to having your child at Shomrai Preschool this coming school year!
Community Programs and Listings
The Unveiling for Ruth Rochel Stokes, Z"L, will take place on August 19 at 9:00 AM at the Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery, 11301 Crain Hwy, Cheltenham, MD 20623 (weather permitting). Open House: 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM will go on, rain or shine.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up." Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
A Rosh Chodesh Elul Kumzitz – Presented by Old-School Jewish Music & KMS. Motzei Shabbos, August 11, 10:00 PM in the KMS Lower Lobby. Bring your instruments and your voices and be ready to sing your heart out! Open to men and women. Light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP: email@example.com
The Moon and the Jewish People – Two-part lecture by Dr. Alan Breitler, August 11 & 18 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:30 PM.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 15, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Help us refill the shelves at Yad Yehuda¡¦s Capital Kosher Pantry – Parshas Re¡¦eh teaches about the importance of giving Tzedakah – that it is really just expected of us! What a wonderful way to start Elul. The shelves at Yad Yehuda¡¦s Capital Kosher Pantry are in serious need of replenishment. Are you able to donate some of these items?
Baking Ingredients: Pareve Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Olive Oil, Pareve Cake Mixes (e.g., Duncan Hines), Baking Soda, Baking Powder
Food Staples: Garbonzo Beans (chick peas), Pareve Granola Bars (e.g., Nature Valley), Rice Cakes, Pareve Circle Crackers, Mayonnaise, Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pasta (not spaghetti)
Shabbos Supplies: Grape Juice, Gefilte Fish, Yahrzeit Candles, Tea Lights
Not Needed Right Now: Honey Nut Cheerios, Canned Green Beans, Canned Corn, Oatmeal, Regular Pasta, Yams, Mustard
There are several ways to donate:
* Place your donations in any Capital Kosher Pantry box in most Shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti¡¦s Market or on the porch of Yad Yehuda at 1910 University Blvd.
* Select items from the Capital Kosher Pantry shelves in Shalom Kosher and, after purchase, deposit them in the Yad Yehuda box in front of the registers.
* Shop online at Walmart or Amazon (info at yadyehudah.org ) and have the food shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Questions? Please call 301-842-7935 ext 706.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 12 – Rosh Chodesh Monday August 13 Tuesday August 14 Wednesday August 15 Thursday August 16 Friday August 17
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:45* 7:45* 7:45* 7:45* 7:45*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 45 minutes before Mincha
August 17 – 18, 2018 – 7 Elul 5778
Light Candles by 7:42 – Havdalah 8:42
* Light Candles by 7:42, and not before 6:35
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:42
Shabbos, August 11 Rabbi Reuven Brand, Scholar-in-Residence
Wednesday, August 15 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, August 19 Living with Dementia, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Monday, August 20 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 15 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager