Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 2-3, 2013 – 27 Av 5773 – Parshas Re'eh – Shabbos Mevorchim
Light Candles by 8:00 (and not before 6:50) – Havdalah 9:02
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Larry Radkowsky on the Yahrzeit of their fathers, Menachem Nassan Ben Mordechai HaKohen and HaRav Aharon Ben Leib Zalman HaKohen.
* Light Candles by 8:00, and not before 6:50
* Mincha 6:40 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:00, 8:00
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 (Sephardi), 7:55 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:02
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – Leor & Avi Baldinger in celebration of the birth of their twin daughters, Temima Tova and Ariella Rachel; and by Esther & Alan Baldinger to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Esther's father, Shlomo Aharon Ben Dov Michel, A"H.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Lianne & Theo Heller in honor of the Aufruf and forthcoming marriage of their son Dov to Mouchka Darmon.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur on break until August 10.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesdays after Maariv. For more details, please contact Seth Jacobson at HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Program will resume on Tuesday, August 13.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, August 21.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Shiur will resume on Sunday, August 11.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Shiur will resume on Thursday, August 15.
* Hilary & Avrum Leeder on the birth of their daughter, Meira Rivka. Mazal Tov to the siblings Neshama Esther, Lev Shalom and Yosef and to the grandparents Diane & Julian Spirer of Bethesda, and Shira & Rabbi Dr. Asher Leeder of Newton, MA and to the great-grandmother Evelyn Leeder of Lakewood, NJ.
* Esther & Joseph Rabin on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Carol & Lionel Rabin, Sally & Dan Hoffman, of Forest Hills, and the aunts, uncles and cousins. The Shalom Zachor will be held at their home, 301 Hermleigh Road, at 9:00 PM.
* Rosalie Handwerger on the loss of her mother, Mildred Elkin. The funeral took place this week. Shiva will be observed at 9080 Meadow Heights Road, Randallstown, through Wednesday morning. Rosalie can be reached during Shiva at 410-655-7356.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in this week: Sharon & Moshe Caplan, Courtney & Aaron Cohen, Berel Dorfman, Aviva & Michael Kelsey, Yaffa & Binyomin Koff, Valentina & Peter Miller, Racheli & Justin Moskowitz, Nechama & Alex Potasnick.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
High Holiday Seating – This is a reminder to our members (both new and not new), that if you have not submitted your request for seats for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur that it should be done as soon as possible. There is a better chance of reserving seats in the area that you prefer if it is done now. Copies of the request form are located in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Please complete the form as soon as possible and return to the Shul office or to firstname.lastname@example.org. If there are any other questions about seating, please also send them to email@example.com. Please include your e-mail address and phone number. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please help the High Holiday Committee in ordering the number of extra chairs that we need to rent and to assign seating by sending us the information as soon as possible.
Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day! Sunday, August 18 at YISE. 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Sheitels, Tichels, Hats, Women's And Girls' Jewelry, Make- Up, Hand-Painted Yarmulkes, and more. Including: Lena's Sheitels, Judith De Paris Hairwear, Asbury Hats, Kinderkrafts Jewelry, Mary Kay Cosmetics.
Job Assist Events:
* Customize Your Resume to Get the Job You Want – Free JobAssist workshop, Monday, Aug. 12, 7:30-9pm, Kemp Mill Education Center, 1319 Lamberton Drive. To reserve a seat, you must register at http://customize2013.eventbrite.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Isser family in memory of Rene's mother Dvora Bat Chaim Eliyahu; grandmother of David, Yonatan, Ariel and Eitan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10 AM- 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
A Youth/Family Seudah Shlishis will be held on August 3 in the Arcola social hall at 5:20 PM, following the 5:00 Mincha.
Community Programs and Listings
YGW 50th Anniversary Kick-Off Event – Save The Date! Sunday, September 1. "A Look Back BBQ, " featuring the famous "Archaeology" Rabbi, R' Shimon Deutsch, of The Living Torah Museum with lectures and a display of objects and jewelry from the days of the Bais HaMikdash, the Holy Temple; children's activities; food; and more. 12:30 PM – 3:00 PM. YGW Girls Campus. For more information contact Donna Goldman, email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552
Beacon 50+ Expo – Save the date and reserve your booth today. Thousands of visitors, 100+ exhibitors, keynote speakers, health screenings, live music, giveaways and door prizes. Two dates and locations: Sunday, October 6, Ballston Common Mall, Arlington, VA; and Sunday, October 13, Silver Spring Civic Center, Silver Spring. To Exhibit/Sponsor or for moreinformation, contact Alan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-949-9766.
Don't Waste it – Planning a Simcha? Mazal Tov! What do you plan to do with any left-over catered food from certified kosher stores or caterers? The Yehudah Mond Foundation can distribute your extra food with local families who have a need. To donate, call, or have your caterer contact email@example.com, or 301-537-7158.
Food Donations – The Yehudah Mond Foundation regularly receives donations of food that have been prepared under reliable supervision for various Simchas. If you are interested in receiving food, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a phone number and email address where you can be reached.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a nonprofit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Marcia Custer at 301-962-0820.
Franco Foundation. Poor Jewish families and individuals live, unknown to most of us, underemployed, with almost depleted assets, but not short of hope and dignity. With your help, and with discretion, the Franco Foundation helps these families stay afloat. Please send your generous, tax-deductible contributions to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington delivers meals to local hospitals and stocks a Kosher pantry at Children's National Medical Center. To learn more about our many services, to request assistance or to volunteer please contact BCGW at 202 331-4481, or contact us through our website www.bikurcholimgw.org.
Volunteer for the Chevra Kadisha – The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot, the process by which bodies of Jews are prepared for burial according to Jewish tradition. For more information or to volunteer: For men, contact Saul Singer, SSinger@dcbar.org. For women, contact Devorah Grayson, email@example.com or 202-438-7060.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 4 Monday, August 5 Tuesday, August 6 – Rosh Chodesh Wed., August 7 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, August 8 Friday, August 9
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:00 6:00 6:05 6:15
Mincha / Maariv
Arcola 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
University 8: 00 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
August 9-10, 2013 – 4 Elul 5773
Light Candles by 7:52 – Havdalah 8:53
* Light Candles by 7:52, and not before 6:44
* Mincha 6:30 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:00, 7:55
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 (Sephardi), 7:50 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:53
Shabbos, August 3 Aufruf of Dov Heller, 8:45 Minyan
Wednesday, August 7 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall, Speaker: Alan Zimmerman, his trip to Poland
Monday, August 12 The Man with the Truck, Arcola Social Hall, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Sunday, August 18 Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day at YISE, Arcola
Social Hall, 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 7, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director