Parashas Re'eh – August 18-19, 2017
Download the August 18-19, 2017 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 18-19, 2017 – 27 Av 5777 – Parshas Re'eh – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:40 (and not before 6:34) – Havdalah 8:40
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson in honor of Rabbi Sam's special birthday.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Meira Shifra, born to Shana & Noam Feldman. Mazal Tov also to aunt & uncle, Karen & Howie Schulman and to the whole family.
* Bonny Billig on the birth of a grandson, Daniel Menachem, born to Dina & Rabbi Samuel Billig of New York.
* Yvette Epstein and Bob Epstein on the birth of a grandson Azriel Betzalel born to Stephanie & David Greenspan of Teaneck. Mazal Tov also to the other grandparents Rina & Larry Greenspan of Highland Park, and to the siblings, Gavi, Eliana and Raphi and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Eileen & Stan Goldschmidt on the birth of a granddaughter, Abigail, to their children, Kara & Jacob Sassoon of Riverdale. Mazal Tov also to great-grandparents, Nancy & Herman Weisman, to big sisters, Rebecca Rose and Sophia, and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson born to their grandchildren Yehudis & Hillel Miller of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Irvine, Susie & Aaron Bleeman of Toronto, and great-great-grandma Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson born to their grandchildren Sara Tova & Rabbi Akiva Miller of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Irvine, Ruth & Mordechai Snider of Baltimore, and great-great-grandma Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the marriage of their grandson Moshe Tzvi Strauss, son of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss, to Basya Stern, daughter of Rochel Leah & Rabbi Yosef Stern.
* Dalia & Hillel Weiss on the marriage of their granddaughter, Hadas Feigelson,daughter of Sara & Daniel Feigelson of Rechovot, to Yaacov Gershon of Netanya.
* Karen Heyman on the passing of her father, Dr. David Lowitz. The funeral took place on Sunday in Baltimore. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Dalia Kahane on the passing of her mother, Esther Cohavi, of Petach Tikvah, Israel. Shiva was observed in Israel.
* Light Candles by 7:40, and not before 6:34
Arcola: 6:40, 7:00 (Ruach), 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:40
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – In honor of Lew Sosnowik by his family, friends, and the many members of the Lew Sosnowik Fan Club.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Iris & Adam Bashein to thank the Banquet Co-Chairs, Sharon & Michael Shimoff; the Banquet Committee: Jill Aharon, Simi Franco, Hillel Goldschein, Nancy James, Danit Kanal, Suri Kinzbrunner, Adina Obstfeld, Bari Perlmutter, Barbara Price, Elana Price, Elise Saks, Rachelli Simon and Mitch Taragin for their efforts; Josh Obsteld for introducing us and the Shul staff for their efforts in making the banquet a wonderful evening.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on The Sun, the Moon, and the Eclipse in Jewish Thought. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Shiur – will resume on Wednesday, August 30.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai).
* Men – will resume on Monday, August 28 with a new lineup of classes! Monday-Thursday 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (New time).
* Women – will resume on Monday, August 28.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, August 18, 7:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Our Relationship with Food: Breaking Up is Hard To Do – Learn how to change to a healthy way of eating; gain insights from medical research regarding nutrition and diet; hear Torah insights on the challenge of overeating, and answers to frequently asked halachic questions on Shabbos eating and dieting. Speakers: Rabbi Rosenbaum, Yale Ginsburg, Lisa Landy, and Dr. Theo Heller. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, August 20, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon. YISE, Small Social Hall.
High Holiday Preparations:
* Seating – High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. Please use the forms that were sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information. We appreciate your cooperation in submitting your request as soon as possible.
* HaShomer – Deadline for articles and ads has passed.
* Babysitting – All spots are now full.
* Yizkor Guide – Work is now underway for the YISE 5778 Yizkor Guide, which is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos). An unlimited number of name listings are available for a sponsorship of $180. Individual name listings are $18 each. The deadline for sponsorships or individual listings is Rosh Chodesh Elul, which is August 23. To sign up online, go to yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 4, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Annual Barbecue – Monday, September 4, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE). Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs, pargiyot, kabobs, and more! Moon bounces for older and younger kids, face painting, treats, and prizes…fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please visit: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Join YISE Youth for Parsha and Popsicles in the Park (Kemp Mill Urban) on Shabbos, August 19 at 4:30 PM.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of former member Doris Shnider. The funeral took place on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
Condolences to Richard Dine on the passing of his father, Dr. Mark Dine. The funeral took place on Friday in Baltimore. Shiva will be observed at 809 Lamberton Drive through Thursday morning.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, August 19 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM.
Kol Ha'Nearim (formerly known as Avos U'Banim) – Shabbos afternoons, 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at Ohr Hatorah. Open to the entire community. Food and treats provided. Questions: Jared Hershenson at email@example.com
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together one-on-one with mentors who share their Jewish knowledge with participants. At the Bender JCC on Wednesday evenings 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 23, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pre-Rosh Hashanah Boutique – Proceeds to Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Monday, September 4 at KMS, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring, hats, hair coverings, jewelry, serving accessories, clothing, shells, modest work out clothes, chidren's accessories, Kippot, Tzizit, and more. Raffles and light refreshments. For more information, Rhonda Lehman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-351-1725.
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 20 Monday, August 21 Tues., August 22 – Rosh Chodesh Wed., August 23 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, August 24 Friday, August 25
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10 6:05 6:05 5:25 (Selichot), 6:10 5:30 (Selichot), 6:15
Arcola 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:37 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
August 25-26, 2017 – 4 Elul 5777
Light Candles by 7:30 – Havdalah 8:29
* Light Candles by 7:30, and not before 6:26
Arcola: 6:30, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:29
Friday, August 18 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, August 20 Our Relationship with Food: Breaking Up is Hard To Do, 10:30 AM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, September 4 YISE End of Summer BBQ, 4:00PM – 7:00PM, YGW Boys Campus
Sunday November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 23 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager