Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 29-30, 2016 – 24 Tammuz 5776 – Parshas Pinchas – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:04 (and not before 6:52) – Havdalah 9:06
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Esther & David Hornestay on the occasion of the Yahrzeit of Esther’s beloved father, Walter Berman, Yitzchak Zev Ben Yosef Chayim, A"H.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Rochel, to Shoshana & Binyamin Weinstein of Jerusalem (and Passaic, NJ).
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of a grandson, Ben-Tzion Tzvi, to Adena & Justin Cohen of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to big brothers Malkiel and Shalom.
* Ann & Harold Kahana on the birth of a granddaughter, Chana Ayelet, to Rachael & Elliot Fineberg of Columbus, OH. Mazal Tov to big brother Yossi and grandparents Ruth & Larry Fineberg of Highland Park, NJ.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a grandson, Shimshon Netanel, to Shanie & Bill Bokor of Lincolnwood, IL. Mazal Tov to big brothers and sisters and extended families.
* Aliza & Michael Zatman on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Benjamin, at Camp Stone this Shabbos. Mazal Tov to his sisters Amalya and Keira and grandparents Carol & Merton Zatman and Elaine & Alan Fink.
* Light Candles by 8:04, and not before 6:52
Arcola: 6:35, 7:05, 8:05 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 University: 8:00 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:06
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Oded Tapiro in memory of his daughter Noy Rut Bat Esti.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Nancy Karkowsky and family to commemorate the third Yahrzeit (14 Tammuz 5773-2013) of Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L, loving husband, father, and Zayde, who is missed by so many people.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network’s Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall – program will resume September 6.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Perspectives on Challenges. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Empathy with Animals: Balancing Human Needs Against Animal Comfort – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Sunday, July 31, 9:30 AM, at YISE.
Rebuilding the Bais Hamikdash through Understanding its Destruction – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, August 7, at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road.
Premium Memberships – These new member categories include many benefits that are not included in a regular full membership. They are designed for those who want to enhance their experience while providing support for our comprehensive programming and growth. Base membership fees cover a fraction of our annual budget which is dedicated to providing the highest standards of quality and service our members expect and deserve. It is initiatives like this that provide opportunity and privilege for those who care to support the leading orthodox synagogue in the Greater Washington area. We are grateful for your consideration as we move from strength to strength. See details at www.yise.org/membership-categories/
New Play Area – The Youth Committee is setting up a temporary toddler play area at the Shul, in the fenced-off area facing Arcola. While the Kemp Mill Park playground is under renovation, play equipment will be available on Shabbos and Yom Tov mornings. Children must be supervised at all times. The play equipment will be available from approximately 10:00 AM until after Kiddush. Anyone who has playground equipment (Little Tikes or similar) in good condition, or would like to contribute a donation to help purchase equipment should please contact the Youth Committee at email@example.com
High Holiday Planning:
* The office has sent out information about High Holiday seats, Hashomer New Year Greetings and a new Yizkor Guide, with relevant Tefillos, that will be different from than any previous ones and will benefit the Shul.
* YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Only 20 spots available each day. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Holiday Seat Form Clarification – Nusach Sefard services will not be held at the University Blvd. building this year, but will be held in a trailer near the Arcola building. Full information as to location will be made available when details have been completed.
Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a lead teacher for the two-yearold and Pre-K classes for the 2016-2017 school year. We are also seeking part-time and full-time assistants. For more information, please check the school’s website: nursery.yise.org/positions-available Send resume and cover letter to Ruthie Cohen at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week, and will resume at the end of the summer.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B’Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, July 30, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Shabbos Shiurim in memory of Cheryl Stern, Z"L – This Shabbos, July 30, Dr. Josh Levisohn will speak about Eliyahu: the man, the myth, the legend. The Shiur will be held at 6:30 PM at the home of Carey & Benham Dayanim, 11601 Yeatman Terrace. Women only, please.
Faith vs. Personal Responsibility: The Torah’s View on Financial Planning and Insurance – The GWCK presents a community lecture on Sunday, July 31 at 7:15 PM at GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Drive, presented by Rabbi Yosef Saltzman, Jewish educator and insurance professional.
Leading Up to Tisha B’Av – Video presentation for women of Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi. Sunday, July 31 at 8:15 PM at the SSJC; and Tuesday, August 2 at 8:15 PM at the Walter home in Woodside 9109 Crosby Road; Cost $5.
Toastmasters’ Meeting – Wednesday, August 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. August 15 – 25, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 11:30 AM lunch, 12:00 Noon activity, 1:00 PM swimming, 2:30 PM pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $50 per week per student, $75 for full program – Trips cost extra. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Cracking the Code – Free webinar. Tuesday, August 9, 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Info and register at www.federaljobresults.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you need to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniorsto medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 31 Monday, August 1 Tuesday, August 2 Wednesday, August 3 Thursday, August 4 Friday, August 5 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:00, 7:10
Arcola 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:15 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
August 5-6, 2016 – 2 Av 5776
Parshas Matos / Masei
Light Candles by 7:56 – Havdalah 8:58
* Light Candles by 7:56, and not before 6:47
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 University: 7:55 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:58
Monday, August 1 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, August 3 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Shoshana Bryen, Jewish Policy Center, "Israel Update"
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 3 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director