Parashas Pinchas – July 11-12, 2014
Download the July 11-12, 2014 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 11-12, 2014 – 14 Tammuz 5774 – Parshas Pinchas
Light Candles by 8:17 (and not before 7:04) – Havdalah 9:22
* Light Candles by 8:17, and not before 7:04
* Mincha 6:50 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:20, 8:20
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 (Sephardi), 8:15 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:22
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Melanie & Sandy Karlin and family in commemoration of the 5th Yahrzeit of their mother, grandmother and great grandmother, Katie Karlin, Kayla Gittel Bat Shimon Ber, and in honor of the 12th anniversary of Raphael's Bar Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Sarah & Emil Braun on the birth of a grandson, born to Devorah Chana & Rafi Braun, of Beitar. Mazal Tov to his big sister and five big brothers. Mazal Tov also to his aunt and uncle, Atara & Rabbi Rosenbaum and the Silver Spring cousins.
* Leah & Jonathan Bresler on the birth of a grandson, born to Hava & Avi Freidenreich of Highland Park, NJ.
* Harriet & Elliot Jacob on the birth of a granddaughter, Margalit Zahava, born to Aviva & Yoni Freiden of Memphis.
* Paula & Michael Schopf on the birth of a grandson, Alexander David ( Dovid Eyal Moshe ), born to Debbie & Ethan Wasserman of Highland Park, NJ.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – will resume on July 13.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:45 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic and next we will be discussing "Using Crock Pots on Shabbos" – will resume on July 22.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume on July 22.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.) – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University – will not meet for the next few weeks.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM.
Fast of Shiva Asar B'Tammuz
Tuesday, July 15
* Fast Begins 4:15
* Early Mincha 2:00 (Arcola)
* Mincha 7:55 (Arcola)
* Maariv 8:55 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 9:21
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Restarts with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Thoughts of the Three Weeks." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
High Holiday Preparations Already? Check your mail for an envelope which was sent out this week with forms and information for High Holiday seating, baby-sitting services and High Holiday greetings in the Hashomer.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The third one will be this Sunday, July 13 at 8:30 PM at the home of Rachel Ravin, 11714 Fulham Street. The topic will be "Borer."
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Adults at the Youth Minyan – Please be aware that the Youth Minyan is now exclusively for the youth of our Shul and their parents Davening with them. All other adults are asked to participate in one of our other Minyanim on Shabbos morning. Please see the letter recently sent out by cyberbrief for further explanation.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Learn Talmud in-depth with a focus on practical applications – Rabbi Menachem Winter, beginning with Keitzad Mevarchim and the laws of blessings. This week's topic: Why the special Bracha on wine?
* Parsha Discourses – Analyses of selected topics from the weekly Parsha – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. This week's topic: Parshas Mattos: The value of vengeance.
* Unraveling the Navi – An exploration of the Navi with classic commentaries, beginning with Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Dovid Brotsky. This week's topic: The real story of the Tribes of Reuvain and Gad.
* Before We Begin – Study Jewish philosophy through the introductions of the Rambam, beginning with the Introduction to Perek Chelek – the 13 Principles of Faith – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem.
This week's topic: Relating to a spiritual reward.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740,firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Family 5K Rabbi Relay Race – Come out on Sunday, July 13, for the first YISE 5K Family Race for Charity. The run will start at 10:30 AM at YISE, stop at local shuls in the neighborhood, and end at YISE for Ben Yehuda Pizza and live music. A portion of the profits from the run will go to JobKatif in Israel. The local shuls along the run will have a Rabbi waiting to ask you a Torah trivia question. Questions will be age appropriate. All kids below 12 years of age must run/jog/walk with a parent. (Strollers welcome!). Pizza and drinks will be available for purchase. Cost: $5 to walk/jog/run, paid in cash or check to YISE at the door. Questions should be directed to Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walk-ins welcome. For more information, email@example.com or 240-423-8810.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evna – will not meet this week.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Hakamat Matzeiva (Unveiling) for Marcia Goodman A"H – Sunday, July 13, 1:00 PM, Garden of Remembrance – Young Israel Ezras Israel of Potomac section, Clarksburg, MD.
SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program for Teens (6th-12th graders) and Post High Schoolers – Special Mother/Daughter Programs – Kemp Mill and Rockville. Daily learning program for 8th-12th grade girls Monday-Thursday, July 7-17 11:00 AM- 1:00 PM at SEHC. Post High School Learning Progam at MEOR (U of MD) Thursday nights July 10 and 17. Special Shabbos Programs in White Oak and Kemp Mill. Special Program for Girls in Grades 3-5 Sunday July 20. Donations to help subsidize the program are greatly appreciated. To RSVP, for more information, or to donate to the program please contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-962-5111 ext 1522 Check out the full schedule at www.yeshiva.edu
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Job Assist Events:
* How to Apply for a Federal Job – Wednesdays, July 16 (Briggs Chaney Road) and July 23 (Wheaton), both 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Sponsored by Montgomery Works. To register, call 240.777.8400
* Online Job-Related Training – (1) Project Management. Series of 6 classes starts July 21. (2) Sketch-up (3D printing software). Series of 4 classes starts July 24. For both, info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 13 Monday, July 14 Tuesday, July 15 Shiva Asar B'Tammuz Wednesday, July 16 Thursday, July 17 Friday, July 18
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:00 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:20 8:20 2:00, 7:55 / 8:55 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:33 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 18-19, 2014 – 21 Tammuz 5774
Light Candles by 8:13 – Havdalah 9:18
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before 7:01
* Mincha 6:50 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Arcola, Univ.), 8:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 (Sephardi), 8:10 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:18
Sunday, July 13 Family 5K Rabbi Relay Race, 10:30 AM
Wednesday, July 16 Senior Lunch – Arcola Social Hall, 12:00 Noon Michael Bloom, J.D. – Origins of Jewish Food
Shabbos, July 19 Bar Mitzvah of Yitzchok Shlomo Savir
Monday, July 21 The Man With The Truck, Arcola Social Hall 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 16, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director