February 28 – March 1, 2014 – 29 Adar I 5774 – Parshas Pekudei
Parshas Shekalim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:41 – Havdalah 6:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lewis Sosnowik in honor of the birth of his new great-grandson, Eli.
* Light Candles by 5:41
* Mincha 5:45, 5:45 (Ruach), 5:40 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:25 (Sephardi), 5:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:41
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Judy & Louis Morris on the 15th Yahrzeit of Louis' father, Robert (Reuven Ben Aryeh Lev) and the 10th Yahrzeit of Louis' mother Estelle, (Esther Bayla Bas Shlomo Yosef).
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:10 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum- Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Sarrit & Yossi Kovacs on the birth of a daughter, Liat Yedida. Mazal Tov to grandparents Yael & Rabbi Sanford Shudnow.
* Anna & Jack Rutner on the birth of a grandson, Gavin Owen, born to Efrat Rutner & Justin Zisquit of Florida. Mazal Tov also to the big brother Jayden, and to all the aunts, uncles & cousins.
* Lewis Sosnowik on the birth of a great-grandson, Moshe Eliezer(Eli), born to Dora Chana & Josh Haar of Oceanside, NY.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – Shiur will not meet on March 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. * Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings followingx the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – program will not meet this week, March 2.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday, February 28, at 5:45 in the Arcola Social Hall.
Final Dor L'Dor with Grand Prize Drawing – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, March 1, 7:45 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Jorden Brinn in memory of his wife, Beverly Brinn. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Megillas Esther." For more info, visit www. yise.org/together-for-5 . For Rabbi Rosenbaum's Purim Shiurim from last year visit www.torahdownloads.com/yisepurim
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday March 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
YISE Mad Hatter Tea Party – Welcoming Event for New YISE Adult Members – There will be elegant desserts, ice breakers, and opportunities to learn more about our Shul. And don't forget to wear your craziest hat! Motzei Shabbos, March 8, 8:30 PM at YISE. RSVP to Rabbi Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-363-5840.
Overcoming the "Baby Blues" Cartoon Model: Instilling Accountability and Responsibility in our Children – Rabbi Yitzchok Charner, Headmaster of Torah School of Greater Washington, will be the next speaker in an exciting parenting lecture series sponsored by the YISE Youth Committee. Sunday March 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
"Peace in the Home" 3-Part Community-Wide Lecture Series – The GWCK, in conjunction with SEHC, YISE, and WSAT, invites the community to the the second lecture in the series, "How to Get Your Spouse to Really Listen: Mastering the Art of Effective Communication in Just 10 Minutes a Day," presented by Dr. Meir Wikler at Woodside Synagogue, Monday, March 10, at 8:00 PM. Open to men and women. Admission is free. The third lecture will be held on March 24.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. So far over 25% of the sections have already been claimed. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – a summer camp for preschool ages 2 to 5. Give your child a healthy, happy and joyful summer of discovery and learning through play and exploration. Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 is open – A few spots in some age groups remain available. Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointmentf for a tour.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Communication – We want to keep you informed all week long. If you have not been receiving the Shabbos Shorts and latest updates (cyberbriefs) by email, please go to the Shul website at www.yise.org and click on "Contact," then select "sign-up form." Or you can "like" us on Facebook and get all the latest YISE news that way.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
How Many Days of Purim? The Status of Shushan Purim: A Hashkafic and Halachic Analysis – YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Michael Rosensweig. Rosh Yeshiva, Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary. Sunday, March 2, 9:45 AM.
Kimu V'Kiblu – Purim, Klal Yisroel and Torah – HaRav Asher Weiss. Sunday, March 2, 8:30 PM at YISE. For men and women. Rav Asher Weiss shlita is among the most renowned and respected Halachic authorities of today.
Queen Esther and the Mystical View – The Golden Network Presents Rabbi Joseph Friedman. Thursday, March 6, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00 AM. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information 301-338-4810 firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Annual Purim Carnival – Sunday March 9, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM. Join us for carnival games, puppet show, prizes, refreshments and FUN!! YISE Social Hall. Teen, adult and senior adult volunteers are needed. Please contact Avi Litwack at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org asap to get involved.
Youth Megillah Reading – Motzei Shabbos, March 15, followed by refreshments. Wear your costumes and get a prize! YISE Social Hall.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Eevyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehudah Mond Foundation, which assists individuals and families in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, by calling 443-539-1465, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through paypal at email@example.com
* Od Yosef Chai – YGW is collecting funds for the organization which will distribute Matanos L'Evyonim to the poor in Israel. They will distribute the funds on Purim day. Please contact Yonah Soskin (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to make a contribution. Purim Card Options:
* YISE Nursery – Please support our community children by ordering our beautiful full color cards featuring our very own students! Contact email@example.com and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards are available for pickup from Shul office or YISE Nursery from February 28.
* AMIT – $2.50 each. Contact either: Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468, Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773, or Rosalyn Bramson at 301-649-4276.
* BCGW – $2.50 each. Cards are available for purchase at the Kosher Pastry Oven. Or to order call 202-331-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read? We also need volunteers to Lein Megillah, to ensure that no one misses out because of inability to get to Shul, due to illness, infirmity or other reason. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
The Thirteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 16 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1121 University Blvd. W. ( University Towers ). The shiur ends by 11:00.
Community Programs & Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Bnei Akiva Silver Spring Snif this Shabbos, March 1 from 4:15 PM until Mincha at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:45 PM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
BCGW Mitzvah Clown Training with Areyvut trainers. Sunday, March 2 at the Hebrew Home, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM. For more information, cost and to rsvp visit www.bikurcholimgw.org To register, firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-331-4481.
30th Yahrzeit Commemoration and Remembrance for Rabbi Philip Rabinowitz ZT"L – Sunday March 2, at 7:30 PM at Kesher Israel Congregation. Please join in remembering Rabbi Rabinowitz, ZT"L, who was tragically murdered in 1984. A Shiur and remembrances by Rabbi Barry Freundel, Rabbi Tuvia Grauman and other Kesher members and alumni will be followed by a dessert reception.
MJBHA PTO/Vaad Horim Annual Boutique – Sunday, March 23, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM at MJBHA. For more information, contact Tamar Teitelbaum at 301-593-7059 or email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn: Branding Yourself for the Job Search – Learn the basics of social media and how to use networking to make connections for your job search. March 11, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM, Bethesda Library. Free. Walk-ins accepted. Additional info at firstname.lastname@example.org
* LinkedIn for Beginners – An introduction to creating a profile and basic use of the tool for those who have not created a profile. March 12, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM JSSA, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Free. Additional info & registration (required) at www.jssa.org/calendar
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 2 Rosh Chodesh Monday, March 3 Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, March 4 Wednesday, March 5 Thursday, March 6 Friday, March 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A * N/A * N/A * N/A *
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:47 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
* Due to the Mincha / Maariv time getting progressively later, the 7:15 University Blvd. Maariv will no longer be held this season.
March 7-8, 2014 – 6 Adar II 5774
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:48
* Light Candles by 5:49
* Mincha 5:50, 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:45 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:48
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
Friday, February 28 Ruach Minyan, 5:45, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, March 1 FINAL Dor L'Dor of the season, 7:45 PM
Monday, March 3 Basic Colors, 12 Noon to 6:30 PM
Wednesday, March 5 Senior Lunch. 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall,
The YISE Nursery will be singing
Monday, March 10 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Sunday, March 30 Blood drive in the YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 5, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director