Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 8 – 9, 2019 – 2 Adar II 5779 – Parshas Pekudei
Light Candles by 5:49 – Havdalah 6:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of our special wife, Imma and Bubby, Lee Oppenheim, by her family.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the birth of their first grandchild Jonah Aaron, born to Rachel & Avi Ginsburg. Mazal Tov as well to great-grandparents Faith Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, great-uncle Raph Ginsburg, and great-aunt and uncle Masha & Seth Katz.
* Light Candles by 5:49
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Shabbos Ends: 6:49
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Avraham Shmidman
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Rabbi Tuvia & Feigy Grauman on the occasion of the third Yahrtzeit of Tuvia's brother, Moshe Menachem ben Yisroel Yehuda, Z"L, and in honor of the Hashkamah Gemara Shiur's completion of the third Perek of Maseches Beitza.
* Sephardi Minyan – Rachel & Rafi Cattan in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Arielle.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – in honor of the Scholars-in-Residence, Rabbi Avraham & Rebbetzin Dr. Adina Shmidman.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Avraham Shmidman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume on March 17.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall, will resume on March 17.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Scholars-in-Residence – The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Avraham & Rebbetzin Dr. Adina Shmidman, March 8 – 9. See flyer for details and complete schedule.
Generation to Generation – Greater Washington Community Kollel presents a morning of learning and growth exploring the multifaceted relationship of parents and children. Sunday, March 10, 9:30 AM – 1:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Breath Brake Seminar – Learn How to Live Longer & Better – with Rabbi Elimelech Goldberg, has been cancelled and hopefully will be rescheduled for a later date.
Ruach Minyan – Join us on Friday, March 15, for a Pre-Purim Ruach Minyan in the Large Social Hall at 7:00 PM. While there is no children's story telling program during the minyan, all Daveners are welcome to join us. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact email@example.com
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum on Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall, "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living". Open to the entire community. See flyer for details. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Save the Date: Sunday, May 12th, 2019
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Susan and Abe Zwany
Young Leadership Award: Elise and Ken Saks
Youth Award: Dovy Brodkin
HaKarat HaTov Award to Yvette Epstein
Special Tribute to: Officer Eli Dunham and Officer Justin Haire
Global Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup – Sunday, April 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center. Bags, gloves and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect. Park cleanup organized by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy, Berman PTO, NCSY, Chabad of Silver Spring, and Ben Yehuda Pizza with Montgomery Parks. For more info, contact: Miriam Friedman at email@example.com All volunteers will receive 10% off at Ben Yehuda Pizza on April 7.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Remember to change your clocks "Spring Forward" one hour on Motzei Shabbos.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 17, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at KMS. See flyer for details.
Purim Particulars ¡V YISE and Beyond
Purim Seudah – Thursday, March 21, 5:00 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details. RSVP online at www.yise.org/purim
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or 30l-593- 1468. $3 each 10 for $25.
Sulam Purim Cards – Let us do all the work – we will send out the cards for you! All funds raised help Sulam fulfill our vision to ensure that a high-quality education is available to children in the Greater Washington area irrespective of their learning differences. $4 per card. Order at www.sulam.org/purim
18th Annual Purim Yahrzeit shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 21, at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers.) The shiur ends by 11:00.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L¡¦Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – Helping our Community from within our Community. Donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
YGW Boys Mishloach Manos – Buy your Mishloach Manos this year from the YGW Boys Class of 2020! Proceeds benefit the senior class trip to Israel in January, 2020. Packages are a quick & easy way to show appreciation to friends, family, and teachers. Each box will include a bottle of grape juice, Hamentaschen, a snack, and candy. Deliveries will be made locally to recipients in Silver Spring, Potomac, Rockville & Olney. Order by email to firstname.lastname@example.org 1 for $10, 5 for $40, 10 for $75, 25 for $170. Deadline Friday, March 15.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 9, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets this Shabbos, March 9, at the home of Moshe &Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. NEW Men's learning group meets at 3:00 PM on the topic of shaving in Halacha. Women's group meets at 4:30 PM on Halachot of Mishloach Manot and other selected Purim topics. In honor of Rosh Chodesh Adar, join us for a family Seuadah Shlishit at 5:30 PM following the women's learning group.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 13, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Special guest speaker, voice coach Elana Polin. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Sulam Presents: Nourishing Your Child: Tips for helping your child develop a healthy relationship with food, avoiding power struggles, overcoming picky eating, and enjoying a healthy lifestyle supported by good eating habits. A workshop by Ms. Rachel Engelhart, Registered Dietitian and Licensed Professional Counselor. Wednesday March 27, 8:00 PM at the home of the Fine family, 707 Stonington Rd. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or learn more at www.sulam.org/events
Linda Kahan, A"H, Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 7 at 10:00 AM in the Berman Hebrew Academy Cafeteria. Lecture topic will be Translating the Bible, presented by Adele Berlin, Professor Emerita of Biblical Studies at the Univ. of MD. $36 couvert. Sponsorships available. RSVP: www.sulam.org/events or email email@example.com
The Q – Join Greater Washington NCSY Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, April 7, 7:00 PM at B'nai Israel Congregation, 6301 Montrose Rd., Rockville, MD, to celebrate and support the teens of Greater Washington NCSY! "The Q" is an interactive multimedia, team based trivia game. Please RSVP today at atsncsy.org/theq or by calling 410-358-6279 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 10 Monday March 11 Tuesday March 12 Wednesday March 13 Thursday March 14 Friday March 15
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:50 6:50 6:50 6:50 6:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:36 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:17 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
March 15 – 16, 2019 – 9 Adar II 5779
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:56
* Light Candles by 6:56
Ashkenazi: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:56
Shabbos, March 8 & 9 Scholar-In-Residence – Rabbi Avraham & Rebbetzin Dr. Adina Shmidman
Sunday, March 10 Generation to Generation, 9:30 AM
Wednesday, March 13 Breath Brake Seminar, 8:30 PM CANCELLED
Friday, March 15 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, March 17 Purim Carnival, 10:00 AM at KMS
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 13 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday/Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager