Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 11-12, 2016 – 2 Adar 2 5776 – Parshas Pekudei
Light Candles by 5:53 – Havdalah 6:53
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her grandson, Shmulie Weber, son of Ephraim Weber, to Rochel Epstein of Lakewood.
* Bernice & Eddie Cohen on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Tali, and to her siblings, Reyna, Iky, and Coby. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Reyna & Isaac Cohen, Bette Ellen Weigert and Robert Weigert, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Delia & George Weiss and Fran & Alan Hirschman, of Riverdale, on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Jake, son of Shira & Alan Weiss of Teaneck. Mazal Tov also to his siblings, Ben, Noah, and Ari, and to aunt, uncle and cousins, Miriam & Steve Friedman, Matan,Edan, and Merav and to all the other aunts, uncles, and cousins. Tzeischem L'Shalom
* Sara & Gabe Evans and Yonah who are moving to Houston, TX this week.
* Light Candles by 5:53
Arcola: 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:53
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:50 PM
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:50 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Symposium with The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington – The community is invited to explore the worlds of Kashrus, conversion, financial arbitration, divorce proceedings, and more. Sunday, March 13, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE.
Everything You Always Wanted to Ask a Pediatrician: Great Tips for Raising Healthy Kids of all Ages – YISE Youth Presents a lecture with Dr. Lynn Trombka, Sunday, March 13, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Texas Kosher BBQ (of Dallas, TX) Pop Up – Monday March 14, 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM (or until we sell out) at YISE. Menu will include: signature chopped beef, signature pulled chicken, hotdogs, and chili dogs, as well as drinks, corn on the cob, cole slaw, and homemade Texas baked beans. Seating available in the Social Hall. Menu and pricing are available online. Cash or check only please! No reservations taken. We sell until we sell out. A portion of the proceeds to benefit YISE.
I'll Say Amen to That! What makes communal prayer special? Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his class: Tefilah B'Tzibur – The Unique Aspects of Communal Prayer, on Monday, March 14, with a focus on Kedushah. Join us in the Belonofsky Sanctuary from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more information, contact email@example.com
HaShomer Advertizing – Ads are being taken for the Passover edition of Hashomer. The Passover Hashomer will have Halachos and other content as in previous editions but is also planned to be enhanced with additional articles of general interest to our members. The deadline is Friday, March 25. To reserve space and submit ads, please contact the YISE office by phone or firstname.lastname@example.org
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day – Join us in a Park Cleanup on Sunday, April 10 anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00PM. Meet at the at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by the parking lot near Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information. Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome: http://www.yise.org/park Organized by YISE, KMS, BHA, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, Sunday April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3
Honoree: Barbara Price
Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld
Youth Honorees: Shani Breitstein, Jessie Franco and Ahuva Wakschlag
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or email@example.com or visit www.yise.org/banquet
The reservation deadline is March 23 and the Journal deadline is March 20.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Weiss/Friedman families in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of Jake Weiss, grandson of Delia & George Weiss and nephew of Miriam & Steve Friedman and family.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department is pleased to announce that we will be offering early care for groups for ages 2-5!!! Drop off your children in the Groups Room behind the women's balcony starting at 9:30 AM. Regular programming will run from 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please note that the times and locations for 1st-4th grade groups remains unchanged. In order to assess demand, we will offer early care as a pilot for the weeks of 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, and 4/2. At the end of this time, we will determine whether there is enough demand to continue this program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301- 649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, March 5 with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 4:00 PM.
What Really Happens to the Chulent – The community is invited to join us for a thought-provoking lecture by Dr. Theo Heller, with comments by HaRav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW Tiferes Gedaliah. Sixth lecture in our science series "Ma rabu ma'asecha …" Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. Sunday, March 13, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei will begin next Shabbos, March 19, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
The Desk – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Thursday, March 31, 7:00 PM, BHA Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: $7.00 adults, $5.00 students/seniors. Be an angel and support our play. If you would like to support HADAS and our play, contact Eliana Elikan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vaad Updates – Sign up for Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington updates, newsletters and Kashrus alerts by entering your e-mail address at www.capitolk.org
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Thoughts on Purim. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Purim: An Illuminating Light for the Darkness of Exile – Join Mrs. Sara Malka Winter for a GWCK Women's class. Sunday, March 13, 8:00 PM, at the home of Fran Broder, 11801 Clintwood Place.
Purim Extravaganza – Join the YISE and KMS youth departments for a community-wide Purim celebration on Sunday, March 20, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE. $6.00 per person (2 and up). $20 family max. Cotton candy, family sing-along, moon bounces, face paint, games, prizes, food, fun and friends.
Battling Amalek in our Times – Pre-Purim Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 20 (NOTE NEW DATE), at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
GWCK Purim Learning – This Purim, bring your sons to continue the legacy of Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik! Participate in a half hour of learning, with prizes, raffles, and refreshments. At the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Dr.), following the 8:00 Shacharis (approximately 9:45 AM). For men and boys ages 5 and up.
Fifteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 24 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community's children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 13 Monday, March 14 Tuesday, March 15 Wednesday, March 16 Thursday, March 17 Friday, March 18
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:14 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
March 18-19, 2016 – 9 Adar 2 5776
Parshas Vayikra, Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 7:00 – Havdalah 8:00
* Light Candles by 7:00
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:00
Sunday, March 13 Symposium with The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington, 10:30 AM
Monday March 14 Texas Kosher BBQ Pop Up, 5:00 PM
Wednesday, March 16 Senior Lunch: Celebrate Purim with the YISE Nursery School! 12:00 PM
Sunday, March 20 Purim Extravaganza , 10:30 AM
Sunday, April 3 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 16 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director