Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 24-25, 2014 – 1 Cheshvan 5775 – Parshas Noach / Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 5:59 – Havdalah 6:57
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of Seth Katz for his exemplary work as Gabbai during this full month of Yomim Tovim. From planning before Rosh Hashanah through and after Simchas Torah, he maintained an even keel to have all the Minyanim running as smoothly as a well-planned and executed computer program.
* Light Candles by 5:59
Arcola: 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
The Friday night Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary will be a special Ruach Minyan led by Simcha Leiner. Beginning at the same time, there will be a Minyan in the Social Hall with a regular Davening.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:30 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:57
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Rabbi David Hyatt's mother, Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his father, Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Rogoff Hourwitz, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his grandmother, Sara Rogoff, Z"L, and the Yahrzeit of his grandfather Abraham Rogoff, Z"L
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Rosh Chodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of "A Taste of Shabbos."
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Adina & Fred Friedman upon the engagement of their son, Moshe, to Leah Berger, daughter of Rabbi & Mrs. Mordechai Berger of Lakewood. Mazal Tov to all the siblings.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the birth of a granddaughter, Ora Aviva, born to Hasya Pearlman & Zev Karkowsky of Chicago.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a granddaughter, Shifra, born to Tamar & Rabbi Michoel Lerner of Kiryat Sefer. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Zeev, and great-grandmother, Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Sarah & Jon Sicherman on the birth of their daughter, Hadassah Chaya. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and big siblings, Shimmy and Kayla.
* Lew Sosnowik on the birth of a great grandson, Mordechai Maza born to Chaya Sarah & Shlomo Maza of Cedarhurst, NY.
* Ruth Rochel & Yitz Stokes on the marriage of her nephew, Josiah Norby, of Hardin, MT, to Shelby Zentner, of Gallatin Gateway, MT.
* Hillel Askarinam on the passing of his mother, Sorah Askarinam. The funeral took place in Israel. Hillel will be observing Shiva in New York through Monday morning.
* Richard Greenberg on the passing of his mother, Gloria Greenberg. The funeral took place in Aventura, FL. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Shira (Klaofa) Kavanagh on the passing of her father, Prasert Nacharung. The funeral took place in Bangkok, Thailand.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos." – will resume on October 28.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes on Talmud, the weekly Parsha, Navi, and Jewish Philosophy.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow – will resume on October 28.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men at University – will resume on October 29 at 7:00 PM.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Beis Medrash.
YISE Programs and Listings
Medicine and Halacha: At the End of Life – Rabbi Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller will discuss decisions about starting, continuing, and ending life support, and whom to consult on which decisions. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC. In the YISE Beis Medrash, Sunday, October 26, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, October 26 at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue. The topic will be "Kashrus in the Kitchen."
Men and women in the community who have had a connection to Kesher Israel and might find it meaningful to do some learning together L'Shma (learning for learning's own sake) are invited to join Rabbi Rosenbaum Monday evening, October 27, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. For more information please contact Judy Rosenthal at 301-754-0470 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Shomrai Nursery Toilet Training Talk – Potty Party with Dalene Erickson, certified instructor and experienced toilet training consultant. Wednesday, October 29, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM. At the YISE Nursery. RSVP: email@example.com Free Admission – Open to the community.
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Nursery presents the 2014 Parenting Series – Six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. November 2, 9, 16, 30, and December 7 and 14. 8:30 PM to 10:00 PM. At the home of Judy Rosenthal, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Cost: $100 per person, $120 per couple. To Register: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, November 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Fostering Creativity in Jewish Children – A YISE Youth Parent Education Event. Ms. Suzy Israel and Mrs. Rachel Handloff, co-principals of the MJBHA Lower School, will offer important information and light hearted insights. Refreshments will be served. YISE Social Hall, Sunday, November 9 at 8:00 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes! YISE Social Hall, Motzei Shabbos, November 15, 7:30 PM. For women/girls only, and is meant for mothers and daughters, sisters, or friends to bond over Torah and home made milk shakes. We will supply the milk shakes and the nail polish. All ages are welcome. We will lead off with a 15 minute D'var Torah by Mrs. Zakem. Cost: $5.00 per person, $20.00 max per family. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – This Shabbos afternoon, 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "GPS! Navigation For Your Soul."
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
The Fall Semester at the GWCK begins Sunday, October 26. Join the Kollel in Silver Spring, Potomac, and DC for classes and other exciting learning opportunities! Visit www.gwckollel.org for schedule.
Beacon 50+Expo – This Sunday, October 26, at Ballston Mall in Arlington, Va. The free event features a fascinating keynote speaker, technology classes, health screenings, flu and pneumonia shots (free with Medicare card), government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. The Expo runs from 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM. For more info, call the Beacon at 301-949-9766.
Cub Scouts Pack 452 (Kosher and Shomer Shabbat) – Boys in 1st through 5th grades. Event on Sunday, October 26 from 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy for a Knot Tying Palooza. For more information contact Cub Master, Ian Soboroff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Assist Events:
* 10 Steps to a Federal Job – Monday, October 27, 12:00 noon – 12:30 PM. Free. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
* Resumes, Interviewing, and Federal Jobs – Free classes for Montgomery County residents. Info and register at http://montgomeryworks.org/calendar.asp
Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Tuesday Class at the JCC of Greater Washington will be resuming its series on the 613 mitzvos. We meet every Tuesday at 1:30 PM. Free and open to all Jews.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, October 29, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Babysitters and Halachah – Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, November 3, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information, please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
The Pink Panther – Berman Hebrew Academy Upper School HADAS Presents, Saturday, November 8, 8:30 PM and Sunday, November 9, 3:00 PM. MJBHA, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: Students/Seniors $7.00, Adults $10.00. Be an angel and sponsor our event. For details, contact Rena Fruchter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Walk for Life: Join Team "Berman Hebrew Academy." Participate in Gift of Life's 5K Walk for Life at Rock Creek Park on November 9. To register: www.giftoflife.org/walk4life and join the BHA team. For questions contact: David Lowenstein at 301-625-7933 or at email@example.com or Rabbi Pepper at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim Community Event – Women's Health Series featuring sessions on a variety of topics led by experts in their fields. "Managing Stress: The Tool Kit for Everyday Living." Sunday, November 16, 10:00 AM at the Turitz home, 504 Hermleigh Road.
GWCK Gala Dinner – Continue the legacy of Rabbi Kalman Winter, ZT"L and celebrate our 7th year of Jewish Outreach and Education. Honoring Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz and Ruth & Rabbi Stephen Baars. Sunday November 16, 5:00 PM at Beth Sholom. For more information: www.gwckollel.org or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 26 Monday, October 27 Tuesday, October 28 Wednesday, October 29 Thursday, October 30 Friday, October 31
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Arcola 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:42 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:10 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
Oct. 31 – Nov. 1, 2014 – 8 Cheshvan 5775
Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 5:50 – Havdalah 6:49
* Light Candles by 5:50
Arcola: 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:49
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
Shabbos, October 24-25 – A Taste of Shabbos (see attached flyer)
Sunday, October 26 – Medicine and Halacha: At the End of Life
Tuesday, October 28 – Elzee's, 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Tuesday, November 4 – YISE Board Meeting, Small Beis Medrash
Wednesday, November 5 – Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall
Friday, November 7 – Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, November 8 – First Dor L'Dor of the season, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 29 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah
A Taste of Shabbos
6:00pm – Special "Ruach Minyan" with Simcha Leiner in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
9:00pm – Community Oneg – The Warwick Party Room, 1131 University Blvd. West, with Divrei Torah by Rabbi Binyamin Silver. Cholent and Light Refreshments.
8:45am – Davening led by Simcha Leiner in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum "Shabbos: Lessons, Not Only Laws."
Kiddush in the Social Hall.
3:00pm – 4:00pm – Men's shiur by Rabbi Dovid Katzenstein, "The Beauty of Shabbos: A Broader Understanding," at the Katzenstein home, 902 Lamberton Drive
4:15pm – 5:15pm – Women's shiur by Sara Malka Winter, "Discover the Treasure of Shabbos – It's Right There in Your Home!" at the home of Sharon Shimoff, 1003 South Belgrade Road
5:30pm – Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, followed by Seudah Shlishit in the Social Hall, approximately 5:50pm. Members of our community will share perspectives from their personal journeys of growth.
6:57pm – Maariv in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
Special Havdalah Service in the Social Hall – approximately 7:20pm. Once Shabbos has ended we will have a special musical Havdalah with song and dance. Those who will not be at the shul at the end of Shabbos are encouraged to say "Baruch hamavdil bein kodesh lechol" some time after 6:57pm and come join us for this special experience!