Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 20-21, 2017 – 1 Cheshvan 5778 – Parshas Noach / Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 6:04 – Havdalah 7:01
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Zipporah & Jason Rosenblatt in honor of the 32nd Annual Rabbi Morris D. & Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture on Sunday, October 29, with Senator Joseph Lieberman as the speaker.
* Fran & Alan Broder on the engagement of their son Noam to Gabi Goodfriend, daughter of Elaine & Mark Goodfriend of Los Angeles. Mazal Tov to Noam's grandparents, Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka Creeger. Mazal Tov to Noam's brother and family, Batsheva, Moshe and Serena Broder.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the engagement of their son Naftali to Miryam Fischer, daughter of Suzanne Fischer and Leon Fischer, of Teaneck. Mazal Tov to siblings Devora & Elazar, Rachel & Avi and Daniel, and grandparents Rochelle Dimont and Faith & Gil Ginsburg and Uncle Raph.
* Arona & Rabbi Amram Hes on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Shimon. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Sara & Rabbi David Hyatt and Debbie & Ezra Hes.
* Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the birth of a grandson, born to their children Michal & Moshe Katz. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Arline & Irving Katz and to the other grandparents, great-grandparents, and family.
* Hannah & Robert Klein on the birth of a granddaughter, Bella Katelin (Abra Chadasha), to their children Esther & Matt Wolf of Jersey City, NJ.
* Susan & Saul Koss on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Chaviva Malka, in Bnai Brak, granddaughter of Reuven & Miri Koss.
* Miriam & Scott Levson on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents Jane & Steven Levson and Adina & Cantor Aryeh Samberg. The Shalom Zachor will be at 1121 University Blvd. West. party room at 9:15 PM.
* Allison & Jay Marcus on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Barbara & Richard Marcus, Steven Goldman, and Nancy Ducharme, and the big brothers Reuven and Gilad. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Barbara Kramer, Lenore & Bernard Goldman, and Muriel Hoch. Also Mazal Tov to Aunt & Uncle Emily & Eric Goldman and Aunt & Uncle Emily & Sam Marcus. The Shalom Zachor will be at 11209 Bybee Street, from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM.
* Bari Perlmutter & Hillel Goldschein on their engagement! Mazal Tov to their parents, Aitana & Perry Perlmutter and Ilana & Dovid Goldschein, and all of their family members!
* Nechama & Rabbi Yonatan Zakem on the birth of a son, Shmuel Yaakov. Mazal Tov to big brothers Aryeh Leib and Tzvi and to big sister Chana Tzipporah.
* Moshe Khaldar on the passing of his father, Mordechai Morad Khaldar. The funeral took place in Iran. Shiva was completed on Thursday.
* Light Candles by 6:04
Ashkenazi: 6:05 Sephardi: 6:00 Nusach Sefard: 6:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:00 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:01
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Hes Family in honor of Shimon's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Dovid Katzenstein – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:45 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Please note new topic.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Elite & Wayne Hutman, Sara Silver, Chana & Aryeh Sobol.
Living the Way You Want to Live as You Age – Learn pros and cons of staying in your home vs. moving to one of many local retirement community options; learn local service options available, whether or not you move; appreciate how to choose a program, facility, or service provider; get information on costs; gain insights on Jewish view on growing old and its challenges. Introduction by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Speakers: Stuart Rosenthal, Publisher, The Beacon, and past Chair of MD Commission on Aging, and Alan Dubow, President, Nat'l Assoc. of Retirement Counselors. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, October 22, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Spaghetti Night – Sunday, October 22, 5:30 PM, Social Hall. The reservation window has closed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
NEXT SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, October 27, 5:55 PM in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
Appreciation Kiddush for Morah Sarah – After many years of dedicated service to our weekly Shabbos programming, Sarah Sandberg (affectionately known as Morah Sarah) is completing her last week of programming. To celebrate everything she has done to enhance our children's lives, please join us as we express our gratitude to Sarah at a Kiddush in her honor, on Shabbos, November, 4 after the 8:45 Main Minyan. Sponsors of $18 and higher will be listed and are greatly appreciated. If you would like to sponsor, please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 ext. 403.
Spirituality Workshop – Join Rabbi Menachem Goldberger (of Baltimore), along with Rabbi Rosenbaum, at this program to help develop a closer connection to Hashem. Sunday, November 5, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM at YISE. Study Ramchal's Derech Hashem, learn Chassidic Niggunim, and discover how to spiritualize your Davening in any Minyan. Program includes lunch. $12/person; sponsors welcome at $36 (includes 1 admission) and $72 (includes 2 admissions and music album). Advance reservations required. Send check to YISE office, marked "Spirituality Workshop." For info, contact email@example.com or 301-980-9557.
Shul Repairs – If you notice that a Sefer holder on the back of a pew is becoming loose, please tell us asap before the bottom drops out. Contact Josh Breistein at firstname.lastname@example.org and / or Stuart Cohen at email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: Be a Superhero! Save a Life! Donate Blood!
"Superhero" Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L and Dr. Clif Price Z"L. Sunday, November 12, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, at YISE. People who donate blood will receive a free gift. At least 35 adults need to make commitments to donate blood for the drive to happen. Volunteers are also needed to greet and register donors, distribute drinks and snacks, and help with the children's activities (can be credited as community service hours). Please contact Adam Bashein at firstname.lastname@example.org or Eli Landy at email@example.com to schedule a donation. You could be a "super-hero" and save someone's life.
SAVE THE DATE: Dor L'Dor – Begins on Motzei Shabbos, November 18, at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall!
SAVE THE DATE: Tech Cafe – Sunday, November 19, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Events co-sponsored by YISE, KMS and Chabad Youth Depts.:
* Parshas Noach Petting Zoo – Sunday, October 22, 10:30 – 12:00 Noon at KMS. Snack and activities. Animals will be there from 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM. $10 per family.
* Parshas Lech Lecha Warring Kings Chess and Checkers Night – Motzei Shabbos, October 28, 8:15 PM – 9:45 PM at YISE. Bring your own board and a friend to play with, or we can pair you up. Free event. Pizza will be available for purchase.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 21 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, October 24, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk – Six week parent workshop starts on Sunday, October 22. $100/person, $120/couple, all books included. To register, contact email@example.com or 301-754-0470.
Greater Washington Community Kollel Announcements:
* The Fall Semester with the begins on Sunday, October 22. Choose from a variety of classes and learning opportunities for both men and women. The Kollel offers classes in White Oak, Kemp Mill, Potomac, Rockville, and Washington D.C. Visit gwckollel.org for a complete list of classes.
* Young men's programming for 7th-9th grade boys begins on Wednesday, Oct 25 at 10900 Lockwood Drive. Learn about "Immeasurable Mitzvos" with Rabbi Sadwin and enjoy snacks and prizes. Wednesdays: 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM.
* For more information contact Rabbi Shaps at firstname.lastname@example.org or 347-869-9361.
BCGW Annual Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 29 at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Show your support for the organization that helps community members in their time of need and pay tribute to our exceptional volunteers. To register, visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
My Country, My Faith: Lessons Learned from a Life of Service – Senator Joseph Lieberman will be in conversation with Gary Rosenblatt at the 32nd Annual Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture, on Sunday, October 29, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis, MD 21403. Refreshments at 10:15 AM; lecture at 11:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public.
In the Eyes of the Beholder: The Appearance of Impropriety – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, November 12. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM. Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 12:00 Noon Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:55 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 22 Monday, October 23 Tuesday, October 24 Wednesday, October 25 Thursday, October 26 Friday, October 27
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10 6:15 6:15 6:10 6:15
Ashkenazi 6:00 6:00 6:00 6:00 6:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:08 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:23 PM
October 27-28, 2017 – 8 Cheshvan 5778
Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 5:54 – Havdalah 6:53
* Light Candles by 5:54
Ashkenazi: 5:55, Ruach, Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:53
Shabbos, October 21 Bar Mitzvah of Shimon Hes
Sunday, October 22 Living the Way You Want to Live as You Age, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, October 22 Spaghetti Night, 5:30 PM, Social Hall
Friday, October 27 Ruach Minyan, 5:55 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 18 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 25 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager