Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 4-5, 2013 – 1 Cheshvan 5774 – Parshas Noach / Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 6:27 – Havdalah 7:24
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser on the occasion of the Yahrzeit of her mother, Rivkah Tzivya Bas Pinchas.
* Light Candles by 6:27
* Mincha 6:30 (All locations), Ruach Minyan
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 6:10 (Sephardi), 6:25 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:24
* 8:00 and 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hyatt's mother, Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his father, Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Rogoff Hourwitz, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his grandmother, Sara Rogoff, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his grandfather Abraham Rogoff, Z"L and in honor of Lew Sosnowik, Noach Roitman and Dr. Arnie Kirschenbaum.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Rosh Chodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:55 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Sarah & Emil Braun on the birth of a grandson Yaakov Feder. Parents are Maya & Rabbi Michoel Feder of Beitar, Israel. Also Mazal Tov to the aunt & uncle, Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum.
* Yvette Epstein and Bob Epstein on the birth of a grandson, Raphael Chanan. Parents are Stephanie & David Greenspan of Teaneck. Mazal Tov also to his siblings, Gavi and Eliana and to the entire family.
* David & Nancy Finkelstein on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Nechama Peikes, daughter of Rachel & Jonathan Peikes of Kew Gardens Hills, NY.
* Janet & Avi Litwack and family on the birth a daughter, Tzipporah Ma'ayan on Hoshana Rabah.
* Elle & Alex Nizhnikov on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov also to big brothers Adami and Yochanan, grandparents Gail & Steven Munz and Galina & Alex Belfor, and to aunt and uncle Toby & Richard Munz and granny-in-law Rebecca Dachman.
* Debi & Max Rudmann, and Larry Paine, on the birth of a grandson to their children Arielle & Aaron Paine of Washington Heights, NY. Mazal Tov also to all the aunts, uncles, and nephews.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays following Mincha/Maariv at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – There will be a special program on October 6.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Will resume on October 17.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Government Shutdown Information
Learning and Breakfast Program – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be giving a daily Shiur for the duration of the Federal Government Shutdown after the 8:30 Minyan – starting between 9:15 AM and 9:30 AM. The program is for the entire community with learning skills at any level and both men and women are welcome. The program is expected to last about 45 minutes. The program will be held in the YISE Social Hall, Monday through Friday. Bagels and cream cheese will be served. For more information, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
It is never easy to miss a paycheck. This is particularly true when we are coming off of a Yom Tov season. Individuals who are affected by the government shutdown and are concerned about being able to meet their financial needs should please feel free to contact me. All discussions will be confidential. I can be reached by phone at 301-593-4465, ext. 405, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in this week: Dana & Joshua Dachman, Merrily Katz, and Rami & Arly Mandelbaum Thanks – The YISE community thanks the following people for setting up the Shul's Sukkah: Robert Zak, Ira Thompson, Avi Kotek, Bayla Kotek, Stuart Cohen, and Ira Brandriss. A special thanks also to Ben Yehuda Pizza for supplying a free pizza to the crew.
The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites the community to a lecture on "Dina D'Malchusa Dina and Political Economy: Halachic Perspectives On Socialism vs. Libertarianism" by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, Senior Lecturer at the Kollel. Sunday, October 6, 9:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday October 7, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers with Morah Elise Schloss. Join us for: Puppets and Parsha Stories, Singing and Movement, Shabbos Party, Socialization, Art Experiences, Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $85 for session or $10 per class. 10 classes starting Friday October 4 through Friday December 20. (No classes October 18.) Register by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Pirchei is starting! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to join us this Shabbos, October 5, at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. Women's Discussion Group – 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
How to Make a Living Will the Halachic Way – The Vaad HaRabanim of Greater Washington will host a forum on Sunday, October 6 at 7:30 PM at Woodside Synagogue. Rabbi Zohn of the National Association of Chevra Kadisha, Dr. Theo Heller, Mr. Ed Tolchin, Esq. and Rabbi Moshe Walter will deliver short presentations highlighting how using a Halachic medical directive will ensure that all medical and post death decisions will be made in accordance with your wishes and Halacha. The evening will conclude with a powerful short documentary video discussing the above. Appropriate forms to be completed will be available.
AMIT-Birah Chapter's annual membership meeting "Revitalizing Jewish Communities." Sunday, October 6, 8:00 PM at the home of Fran & George Wollner. Guest speakers are Dr. Dahlia & Rabbi Uri Topolosky. Event cost is $36 Membership dues (includes $10.00 couvert). $10.00 couvert only for existing Life Members. For further information: 410-484-2223 or email@example.com.
Shabbos Gems for Women – With Mrs. Sara Malka Winter begins on Tuesday, October 8. Uncover the hidden secrets and majestic beauty of Shabbos! Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, 10900 Lockwood Drive.
The Winter Family invites the entire community to the first Yahrzeit commemoration for Rabbi Kalman Winter ZT"L for words of comfort and inspiration on Thursday, October 10, 8:00 pm at SEHC. Please join us to pay honor and tribute to a Rav who played such a pivotal leadership role in the Silver Spring community for over 30 years.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday, October 20, at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom. Celebrating the work of BCGW and honoring Dr. Roger Packer and Dr. Kurt Newman of Childrens National Medical Center. Presenting the Benice Fishman Community Service Award to Mrs. Miriam Friedman of Kemp Mill. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org.
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 525. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Chessed Task Force – Chaverim 24/6 Hotline – Need help? Jump start? Auto-lock out? Spare tire change? Spare gas? Shiva Minyan/Chairs/ Sidurim Help? Generators for Critical Needs? Call The Chessed Task Force Chaverim Hotline 24/6 : 301-352-1111.
Mikvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that the Woodside Keilim Mikvah is now back in service! It's located at the rear of 1305 Ballard Street, and the entrance is through the driveway. The Keilim Mikvah is open only during daylight hours.
Greater Washington Community Kollel – Fall Semester resumes on Sunday, October 6. Take advantage of the many opportunities and exciting classes and programs to find something just right for you! Visit www.gwckollel.org or contact us at email@example.com.
50+Expos – Featuring speakers, free health screenings, flu shots, government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. The first expo will be Sunday, October 6 from Noon to 4:00 PM at Ballston Mall in Arlington, Virginia. Columnist Bob Levey will speak. The second expo is on Sunday, October 13 from Noon to 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center, where the scientific director of the National Institute on Aging will speak. For more info, call the Beacon at 301-949-9766.
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn for Intermediate Users – Wednesday, October 9, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Prerequisites and register at www.jssa.org.
* Speed Networking for Job Seekers – Wednesday, October 9, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, 14330 Travilah Road. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* Computer Training Online – Advanced CAD, 6 classes starting Sunday, October 6. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 6 Monday, October 7 Tuesday, October 8 Wednesday, October 9 Thursday, October 10 Friday, October 11
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Mincha / Maariv
Arcola 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 See Shabbos schedule
University 6:20 N/A N/A 6:20 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:23 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:02 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:26 PM
October 11-12, 2013 – 8 Cheshvan 5774
Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 6:17 – Havdalah 7:14
* Light Candles by 6:17
* Mincha 6:20 (All locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 6:00 (Sephardi), 6:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:14
Friday, October 4 Ruach Minyan, 6:30, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, October 12 Aufruf of Ezra Katz, 8:45 Minyan
Tuesday, October 15 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, October 19 Bar Mitzvah of Avi Augenbaum, 8:45 Minyan
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 9, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director