Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 16-17, 2015 – 4 Cheshvan 5776 – Parshas Noach
Light Candles by 6:10 – Havdalah 7:07
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Eva & Nissy Moskowitz in memory of Blanka & Ben Rosenberg.
* Elaine & Alan Breitler on the B'nei Mitzvos of their twin grandsons, Ethan and Joseph, sons of Ruth Ann Breitler-Wolkoff & Rabbi Robert L Wolkoff of North Brunswick, NJ. Mazal Tov also to sister Dahlia and to all the Mishpacha.
* Batsheva & Moshe Broder on the birth of a daughter, Serena Elle (Shira Esther). Mazal Tov to grandparents Fran & Alan Broder and Itty & Nathan Willner and great-grandparents Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka Creeger.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the birth of a granddaughter, Areli Maya, on the first night of Sukkos, to Malki Karkowsky & Jamie Sorge and big brother Shai Meshulam of Kensington, MD.
* Liora & Tal Kerem on the birth of a daughter.
* Naamah & Meir Oz Ofri on the birth of a daughter.
* Nomi & Jeremy Schnittman on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the big siblings Talya Chaim and Ilan.
* Light Candles by 6:10
Arcola: 6:10 University: 6:10 Sephardi: 6:05 Nusach Sefard: 6:10
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:05 University: N/A Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:07
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yona Reiss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Rabbi David Hyatt's mother, Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his father, Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Rogoff Hourwitz, Z"L, the Yahrzeit of his grandmother, Sara Rogoff, Z"L, and the Yahrzeit of his grandfather Abraham Rogoff, Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Yona Reiss.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yona Reiss – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Simchas Torah Kiddushes – A list of sponsors for the Simchas Torah Kiddushes appears on the electronic Luach in the upper lobby and on an easel in the lower lobby. Thank you all for your support.
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yona Reiss: Av Beth Din, Chicago Rabbinical Council; Rosh Yeshiva and Former Dean, RIETS, Yeshiva University; Former Director, Beth Din of America.
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): The Kesubah, the Tenaim and Pre-Nuptial Agreements – What Do We Do and How Much Is It All Worth? – Kiddush follows.
* Before Mincha (5:00): Contemporary Case Studies in Beth Din
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Camels, Cows and Cholov Yisroel
Tech Cafe – Free! Tech-training for older adults provided by community teens! Learn about your iPhone/iPad, email, Facebook, taking and sending photos, how to video chat or store music… or whatever YOU are interested in! Sunday, October 18, 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM at YISE. Space is limited! Register early.
* Adults: Bring your charged device… & we'll give you free advice! To RSVP call 301-754-1517, or visit: http://www.yise.org/techcafe
* Teens: Pizza and training starts at 12 noon. Earn Community Service hours by sharing what you know! Sign up today at: http://www.yise.org/techcafe
* Questions: contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Going Deep: The Meaning of the Shema – Three Monday night Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women will meet October 19, October 26 and November 2 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM in the large Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more informattion, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Shabbos Project – Jews across the world will be coming together to observe Shabbos together next Shabbos, October 23-24. Please consider joining in this world-wide effort by inviting a less-observant Jewish acquaintance to join you for Shabbos or a neighbor to join you for one of the Shabbos meals.
Simply Tsfat Concert – Motzei Shabbos, October 31, 8:00 PM at YISE. General admission tickets $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Family ticket package $35 each. Sponsorship $100 – includes two tickets. Light refreshments. For more information or to RSVP: email@example.com or 301-593-4465 ext. 401 or 403 or register online www.yise.org/concert
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Our weekday Minyanim are reciting Psalms 121 and 130. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can also recite 20, 83, and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the World, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington urges the community to attend a Tehillim gathering as a merit for safety and peace in Israel Sunday, October 18, 5:30 PM at YISE. Mincha will follow at 6:10.
Curious about the Keilim Mikvah – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a class on Sunday morning, November 1, 11:00 AM in the YISE Social Hall (and, weather permitting, continue outside) to explain the Halachos behind its construction. He will also give a class Monday, November 9 at 8:00 PM to review the halachos of its proper use.
Late Maariv – There will be a Maariv Minyan in the Large Beis Medrash at 7:30 PM, Monday through Thursday evenings during Standard Time, starting November 2.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, November 2, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Addiction: How do you recognize it and where do you find help in our community? Learn from a panel of treatment professionals, an Al-Anon member, and someone who faced a family member's addiction. Opening remarks by YISE Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, the Kemp Mill Synagogue, and several other Jewish organizations and schools. Sunday, November 8, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon in the YISE Social Hall.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. NOTICE EXTENDED TIME FOR SCHOLAR IN RESIDENCE.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
JCADA 5K Event: A Run, A Walk, AWARE – Sunday, October 18, at the Berman Hebrew Academy in Rockville! Run or walk with JCADA to promote healthy relationships and help end domestic and dating abuse. Price: $40 – Free for kids 10 and under. Contact: 301-315-8040 or email@example.com Register at jcada.org/5k
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo – Sunday, Oct. 18 from 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring, featuring over 75 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), exercise demonstrations, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. A similar Expo will take place the following Sunday, October 25, from 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM at Ballston Mall in Arlington, Va., featuring best-selling author Gail Sheehy. For more info, call (301) 949-9766.
Cub Scout Event this Sunday! All boys 1st – 5th grades are invited to join Shomer Shabbat Jewish Pack #452. Boys have a blast participating in fun activities that teach honesty, bravery, and respect for others and the environment. Sign up for fun and adventure. Come get to know us! Sunday, October 18, 3:30 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. For more info, contact: Membership Chair, StephanieFrumkin@yahoo.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, October 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington as we celebrate a caring community and honor Gary Winters, Doris Leeds, Sharon Dekelbaum and David Abrams. Sunday, October 25 at 10:00 AM (Brunch!) at Beth Sholom Congregation. Visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Job Search Tips for Candidates 50+ – Free webinar featuring Judy Smith, Sunday, October 18, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM (please note unusual time), YISE Small Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* LinkedIn Tips of a Former Recruiter – Free webinar, Wednesday, October 21, 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM. Will be available for 3 days afterward. Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 18 Monday, October 19 Tuesday, October 20 Wednesday, October 21 Thursday, October 22 Friday, October 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:34 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:06 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:24 PM
October 23-24, 2015 – 11 Cheshvan 5776
Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 6:00 – Havdalah 6:58
* Light Candles by 6:00
Arcola: 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:58
Shabbos, October 17 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yona Reiss
Sunday, October 18 Tech Cafe, 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM
Tuesday, October 20 YISE Board Meeting, 7:45 PM
Wednesday, October 21 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Brent Scharf,
Pharmacist, "The Importance of Exercise"
Shabbos, October 23-24 Bar-Mitzvah of Pinchos Yosef Savir
Motzei Shabbos, October 31 Simply Tsfat Concert, 8:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 14 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Shabbos, November 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director