Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 12 – 13, 2018 – 4 Cheshvan 5779 – Parshas Noach
Light Candles by 6:15 – Havdalah 7:13
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Esther Nechama, born to Drs. Avigayil & Menachem Rapp. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Shulamit & Rabbi David Ginsburg, and to the entire Ginsburg clan.
* Eva & Nissy Moskowitz and Eva & Ben Bazian on the birth of a granddaughter, Maya Leah, born to their children, Shoshana & Doni Moskowitz. Mazal Tov to the aunts, uncles and siblings.
* Aron Pinker passed away on the 5th of Tishrei. The funeral and Shiva took place in Israel. In his memory the Pinker family will be receiving visitors at their home, 11519 Monticello Ave., on Sunday, October 14, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon.
* Light Candles by 6:15
Ashkenazi: 6:15 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:15
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:10 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:10
* Shabbos Ends: 7:13
* 8:00, Youth Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrtzeits of Rabbi David Hyatt's parents, Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L & Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L; the 15th Yahrtzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Hourwitz, Z"L, and in memory of his grandparents, Sara Rogoff, Z"L, and Abraham Rogoff, Z"L.
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Scott and Shevi Miller in honor of those that contribute to the sanctity of the Minyan.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in THE ROOM BEHIND THE BALCONY.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 23. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will take place this week in THE BEIS MDRASH. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, October 17, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Harp Happy! Harp concert with 5 harpists.
Board Game Café – Join us for delicious coffee, treats and fun with friends! Saturday night, October 20, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. $8 per person. Games provided by Dice City Games. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Panel Discussion on Jewish Genetic Cancer Risks – Sunday, October 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon in the YISE Small Social Hall. 1 in 40 Ashkenazi Jews carry a genetic mutation (BRCA 1 or 2) that makes them especially likely to develop breast/ovarian/prostate cancers. Today, there are more ways than ever for BRCA carriers to prevent these cancers or minimize their impact, especially if they get screened in early adulthood. Get the facts and hear a panel discussion on medical and halachic issues, presented by Bikur Cholim: Rabbi Rosenbaum; a genetics counselor; a family member of a BRCA survivor; and a breast cancer survivor. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, October 21, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Division, 1216 Arcola Ave. Middle Eastern Style & American Style food. $10 per Adult, $5 per Child (ages 2 – 8), Family Max. $45. Please consider sponsoring – Ketchup $250, Mustard $180, Relish $100. RSVP and pay in advance at www.yise.org/bbq For more information or to volunteer, please email email@example.com
Lost and Found.- Please check your coat closets and return any coats, hats, gloves or other items that were mistakenly taken from the Shul and don't belong to you. Additionally, all items will be removed from the lower lobby coatroom on October 22.
80th Anniversary of Kristallnacht Program – Sunday, November 4, 7:30 PM. Kristallnacht, which took place on November 9-10, 1938, is widely regarded as the beginning of the annihilation of Europe's Jews during WWII. Dr. Paul Kovac, a child survivor, will speak about being hidden with his whole family on a farm in Slovakia during the Holocaust. This community-wide program is sponsored by the YISE and KMS Holocaust Committee and will take place in the YISE Social Hall.
Kemp Mill Veterans Day Dining Out – Attention US Military Veterans, families and friends. Active duty and retired members get your Mess Dress (formal uniform) and medals ready, YISE is hosting a formal "Dining Out" on Veteran's Day, November 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM (1900 hours). We will be celebrating and recognizing the Kemp Mill community's Jewish veterans from all branches of the US military. The military ceremony (banquet), called a "Dining Out", is open to the entire community. Now is the time for all good men (and women) to come to the aid of their country and show their support for our Jewish veterans, past and present! For more information and to make reservations, go to www.yise.org/diningout
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 12 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Allergies in Shul – Just a reminder that some people are very sensitive or allergic to perfumes and colognes. Please be considerate and use common sense in your application of scents.
Eruv News – This week, we kicked off the annual maintenance of the Kemp Mill – White Oak Eruv. We made permanent fixes in places where only temporary fixes could be made during weekly inspections. And we upgraded the physical and Halachic reliability of the Eruv. This major work involves renting a bucket truck and operator, as well as expensive materials. As a reminder, the Eruv is entirely dependent on your financial support. The Eruv's fiscal year began this past October 1. If you have not yet made your annual contribution (suggested amount $54 per household), please mail it to: YISE Eruv Fund, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Thank you also to the two volunteers who accompanied the bucket truck.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available, we would appreciate if you could help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137. Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Sue Stern is recuperating in the Hebrew Home from a fall and would love visitors.
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 13, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
Free 50+ Expo: Sunday, October 14, from noon to 4:00 PM, featuring more than 75 government, nonprofit & business exhibitors, health screenings (blood pressure, balance, bone density, glaucoma), flu shots (free with Medicare card), entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. The Expo will take place at the Silver Spring Civic Center, One Veteran's Plaza, in downtown Silver Spring. For more info. or to volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk – 6-week parent workshop with Judy Rosenthal starts Sunday, October 14. $100/person, $120/couple, all books included. For registration or questions, email JudyRosenthal@verizon.net or call 301-754-0470.
Free Job Search Webinars – (1) Cracking the Federal Job Search Code, October 15, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM, (2) Networking Tactics That Get Results, October 15, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM, and (3) Emotional Intelligence, October 23, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. All presented by Corliss Jackson. For more information and to register, please go to www.FederalJobResults.com/Events
Mikvah Emunah Society Annual Dinner – Tuesday, October 16, 6:30 PM, at KMS, honoring Dr. Howard Schulman and Naomi Baum. The dinner journal is closed and we can no longer accept ads. Dinner reservations will still be accepted at www.mikvahemunah.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Open House – Wednesday, October 24, 7:45 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Please join us and bring a friend! Find out how you can reach your potential as a leader and communicator. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more information.
BCGW 2018 Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 28 at 10:00AM at Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac. Honoring star volunteers: Eve Farber, Rabbi Barry Greengart, Sylvia Goldberg and Dr. Nancy Weisman. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org or call 202-331-4481.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents "Mitzvah, Minhag, or Myth? Understanding the Meaning Behind What We Do." A weekly Shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak.For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Help our Senior Kemp Mill Neighbors – What if you needed transportation, help around the house, or grocery or prescription delivery, and had to depend on someone else? This is happening to more and more of senior or disabled Kemp Mill residents. Consider volunteering with Kemp Mill Village to provide a variety of services to your Kemp Mill neighbors, including driving to medical appointments, delivering prescriptions and groceries, helping with household tasks, and participating in social and learning events. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 301-649-5031.
The Week Ahead
Sunday October 14 Monday October 15 Tuesday October 16 Wednesday October 17 Thursday October 18 Friday October 19
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:05 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:24 PM
October 19 – 20, 2018 – 11 Cheshvan 5779
Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 6:05 – Havdalah 7:03
* Light Candles by 6:05
Ashkenazi: 6:05 Sephardi: 6:00 Nusach Sefard: 6:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:00 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:03
Wednesday, October 17 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Saturday, October 20 Board Game Café, 8:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, October 21 Jewish Genetic Cancer Risks, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, October 21 Annual BBQ, 3:00 PM, YGW Boys Division
Sunday, November 4 Kristallnacht Program, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 11 Veterans Day Dining Out, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 17 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager