Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 19-20, 2014 – 25 Elul 5774 – Parshas Nitzavim/Vayeilech
Light Candles by 6:52 – Havdalah 7:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Susan & Saul Koss in memory of their beloved fathers, Arthur Blumenthal and Morris Koss, whose Yahrzeits are the 25th of Elul.
* Light Candles by 6:52
* Mincha: 6:55 – Everywhere including Ruach Minyan in Social Hall
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 University: 6:50
Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:49
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:20 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her granddaughter, Sarah, daughter of Kendi & Rabbi Yisroel Anemer, to Ashie Sternbuck of Brooklyn.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Noa Simcha. Parents are her grandchildren, Rachel & Avi Binstock of Atlanta. Mazal Tov also to Avi's aunt and uncle, Karen & Howie Schulman, and the entire family.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Yonatan Ginsburg, son of Malkie & Herzl Ginsburg of Cleveland. Mazal Tov to Aunt Sahra & Uncle Yale and cousins and Uncle Raph and all the whole Ginsburg family.
* Nechama & Yosi Scharf on the birth of a son. The Shalom Zachar will be held at 9:15 PM in the 1111 University Towers G Level party room.
* Gita & Charles Siegman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Amichai, son of Dafna & Dan Gan-Tzvi, in Jerusalem.
* Charlotte Weill and the entire Weill family on the birth of a great-grandson. The parents are Ariella & Dov Weill of Baltimore and the Zayde and Bubby are Malky & Menachem Weill.
* Motzei Shabbos, September 20:
Arcola: Shiur 12:50 AM followed by Selichos.
* Sunday, September 21:
6:00 AM (other Minyanim do not have Selichos).
* See the Week Ahead on back for remainder of schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
YISE Programs and Listings
Are you ready for some Ruach?! Join us in the Social Hall for a spirited Davening this Friday, September 19. Though there is no special children's program, all daveners are warmly invited to bring in Shabbos with us. What better way to bring Shabbos in and to get in the Yom Tov spirit. It is going to be gevaldic.
Rosh Hashanah: Making the Most of the Holy Day – A Shiur for women with Rabbi Silver. This Shabbos afternoon, September 20 at 4:15 PM at the home of Judy Morris, 811 Lamberton Drive.
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Leah & Dr. Aaron Cypess, Shayna & Dovev Hefetz, Tamara & Ivor Jacobs, Dr. Eva & Mr. Isaac Moses, Mindy & Dr. Richard Swedarsky, and Shana & Hirschel Wohl
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Halachos of Building a Sukkah." Visit www.yise.org/shiurim for archives of Together-for-5 and recorded Shiurim of Rav Anemer, ZT"L.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, September 21 at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road. The topic will be "Food Preparation over a Three Day Yom Tov."
High Holiday Preparations:
* Setup – Volunteers needed to move books, chairs, mechitzas, etc. Sign-ups helpful, walk-ins welcome. This Sunday, September 21 from 9:30 AM to around 2:30 PM. Part time is OK. Community service hours for high schoolers. Contact Steve Friedman at email@example.com or 917-282-9354.
* Letters with High Holiday seat information were mailed last week. If you have not received your letter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not reserved your seat, please use the form at www.yise.org/seats
* The Nusach Sefard Minyan will meet in the Small Beis Medrash on Motzei Shabbos, September 20 at 10:00 PM to discuss their seating arrangements at University Boulevard for the High Holidays and other relevant matters.
* As in past years, we anticipate a wonderful night of celebration on Simchat Torah. Please consider making a donation of $18, $36, or more to the YISE Simchat Torah Evening Celebration and food festivities. Please send your checks to the Shul office or pay on the Shul website with the notation "Youth Simchat Torah." Contact email@example.com for more information.
* Join the YISE Social Committee in celebrating Simchat Torah day with the annual Shul-wide Kiddush. We are looking for sponsors and volunteers. Please contact Becky Simkovich at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
* Babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur is completely full.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – As a fundraiser for the shul, YISE will sell Lulavim and Esrogim through Elli Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the Shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 29.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice of classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Learn Talmud in-depth with a focus on practical applications with Rabbi Menachem Winter, beginning with Keitzad Mevarchim and the laws of blessings. This week's topic: Pepper and Ginger Regarding Berachos and Yom Kippur
* Parsha Discourses – An analyses of selected topics from the weekly Parsha with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. This week's topic: Parshas Ha'azinu: Is Divine Justice Absolutely Universal?
* Unraveling the Navi – An exploration of the Navi with classic commentaries, beginning with Sefer Yehoshua, with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz. This week's topic: The Splitting of the Jordan
* Before We Begin – Study Jewish philosophy through the introductions of the Rambam, beginning with the Introduction to Perek Chelek – the 13 Principles of Faith, with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem. This week's topic: The Existence of G-d
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Do the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2014. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah. This week we will be discussing "The Shofar Blasts: Background and Halachas."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow. Shiurim options:
* Developing Your "Gemara Kop," Thinking through Maseches Sukkah – R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem (Based on the Alei Shur by R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha on Chodesh Elul – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics – R' Moshe Chaim Blate
Join us for the open Beis Medrash or we can help you set up a Chavrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men will resume on Wednesday, October 1 at 7:25 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall – will meet next on October 2.
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Erev Rosh Hashanah, Wednesday, September 24:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 6:43
* Mincha 6:45 (All locations)
First Day Rosh Hashanah, Thursday, Sept. 25:
* Shacharis 7:30, (8:00 Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:45 Nusach Sefard)
* Mincha & Tashlich 6:15 (6:00 Sephardi)
* Maariv 7:35 (All locations)
* Light Candles/Kiddush after 7:40
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Rosh Hashanah, Friday, Sept. 26:
* Shacharis 7:30, 8:00 (Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00 (9:45 Nusach Sefard)
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Beis Medrash, led by our new Youth Minyan Coordinator, Rabbi Avichai Pepper, followed by a Kiddush.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Rosh Hashana Shiur for Women – Given by Rabbi Eli Reingold, this Shabbos, September 20, at 5:30 PM, at the home of Meera & Stephan Miller, 1015 Arcola Ave.
Your Presence HaShem I Seek – A Pre-Selichos Evening of Hisorirus. Open to women, alumnae, and Talmidos in the community, 6th grade and up. Motzei Shabbos, September 20, 9:00 PM at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah, Girls Campus.
Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium – The GWCK invites all men and women to a Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. Including: Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rabbi Yosef Singer, and Rabbi Mordechai Rhine. Monday, September 22, 8:00 PM at the Kollel, 10900 Lockwood Dr.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will resume after Succos on October 22.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp-Mill-based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation supplements its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at www.tomcheishabbosgw.com
* The Franco Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with email@example.com
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or ATrombka@verizon.net
The Mikvah Emunah Society is looking for volunteers to collect money and ensure decorum on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. We are looking for men to volunteer between 30 minutes to 1 hour, between 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Interested people should contact Craig Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students at Yeshiva of Greater Washington are available to help build your sukka. Place your request early with Rabbi Hes at
email@example.com or 301-649-7077, ext. 1528
Job Assist Events:
Hebrew Free Loan Association of Greater Washington – It's a New Year. New Challenges. Old Problems. Same Solutions? Maybe not. Contact us: 301-770-4836, info@HebrewFreeLoanDC.org or www.hebrewfreeloandc.org
Cantor Yehoshua Redfern in Concert – Leah M. Smith Hall, Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center Univ. of MD/College Park. Come enjoy an exciting afternoon of magnificent and outstanding Jewish, Cantorial, Israeli, Oratorio and Broadway repertoire. Piano accompaniment by the legendary Cantor Daniel Gildar, Philadelphia. Sunday, November 9, 2:00 PM. Tickets are now available. Contact the Clarice ticket office: 301-405-ARTS (2787) or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 21 Monday, September 22 Tuesday, September 23 Wed., Sept. 24 – Erev Rosh Hashanah Thurs., Sept. 25 – Rosh Hashanah Friday, Sept. 26 – Rosh Hashanah
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 5:30, 7:00 See Rosh Hashanah schedule See Rosh Hashanah schedule
University 8:00 N/A N/A 5:30
Sephardi 6:45 5:20 5:30 5:30
Arcola 6:50 6:50 6:50 See Rosh Hashanah schedule See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:08 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:57 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:32 PM
September 26-27, 2014 – 3 Tishrei 5775
Parshas Ha'azinu – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:40 – Havdalah 7:37
* Light Candles by 6:40
* Mincha: Everywhere 6:40 Sephardi: 6:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 8:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
Arcola: 2:30, 6:00 University: 5:40
Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:37
Friday, September 19 Ruach Minyan, 6:55, Arcola Social Hall
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Wednesday, October 1, 8:00 PM
YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, September 23 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Thursday and Friday.
Monday and Tuesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Wednesday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director