Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 30 – October 1, 2016 – 28 Elul 5776 – Parshas Nitzavim
Light Candles by 6:33 – Havdalah 7:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors – Office: 301-681-0560 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Rosalyn Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Daniella, to Nomi & Dr. Michael Plaut.
* Michal & Duvie Merkin on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Emilie & Rabbi Yitzchok Merkin and Masha & Asher Berkovits. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 9:30 PM at their house, 900 Hyde Road.
* Shaine Spolter on the marriage of her granddaughter, Rachel Raczkowski, daughter of Sarah & Baruch Raczkowski to Aryeh Laks, son of Chana & David Laks of Passaic.
* Martin Katz on the passing of his grandmother, Janet Zelda Torchinsky. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the home of Linda & Chester Katz, 707 Lowander Lane, through Sunday afternoon at 3:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 6:33
Arcola: 6:35 University: 6:35 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 8:00 Minyan will meet in the Social Hall.
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:30 University: 6:30 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Lower Lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Erev Rosh Hashanah, Sunday, October 2:
* Light Candles by 6:30
* Mincha 6:30 (All locations)
First Day Rosh Hashanah, Monday, October 3:
* Shacharis 7:30, (8:00 Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Mincha & Tashlich 6:00 (5:45 Sephardi)
* Maariv 7:20 (All locations)
* Light Candles/Kiddush after 7:27 (No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Rosh Hashanah, Tuesday, October 4:
* Shacharis 7:30, 8:00 (Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Mincha 6:25 (6:15 Sephardi)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:25
* Sunday schedule: 5:30 – Belonofsky Sanctuary, 7:00 – Social Hall, 8:00 – Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* See the Week Ahead on back for schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on November 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on November 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on November 2.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com – will resume on November 1.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will resume after Sukkos.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – Beginning Monday, September 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps – will not meet this week.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz – will not meet this week.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Monday or Tuesday.
* Women (class located in the small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women Of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will not meet this week.
YISE Programs and Listings
Of Tefilah and Teshuva: Some thoughts on Rosh Hashana – Shiur for women by Rabbi Silver at the home of Avigayil & Uriel Young, 1121 University Boulevard West, #311. This Shabbos afternoon, October 1 at 4:15 PM. Light refreshments will be served.
High Holiday Planning:
* Letters with High Holiday seat information were mailed last week. If you have not received the information, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be sent via e-mail within two days.
* The Nusach Sefard Minyan will meet in the G level party room of 1121 University Blvd. for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
* High Holiday Help – The final step of getting ready for Yomim Noraim is setting up the Shul on Sunday October 2, starting at 10:00 AM. This year, the janitorial staff will set up the downstairs for us, so the amount of work that we need to do is significantly less, but there is still a bit of work. As always, community service hours for high school students. Questions? Contact Steve Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
* RH and YK Babysitting at YISE is now full.
* RH and YK "Older Kid" Babysitting – A number of parents are organizing babysitting for ages 6-9 during YISE High Holiday services. The babysitting will be at the Shimoff home starting at 10:00 AM until after Musaf. Cost will be $10/day (this program is being done at cost). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets and a selection of decorations for your Sukkah. Josh has over 40 years of experience and is committed to the best in quality and customer service. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav Deadline is October 5. Pickup at YISE October 13, 11:00 AM – 8:30 PM.
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, October 10, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
YISE would like to express Hakaros Hatov to Mr. Bernie Lisitza and family for their donation of the beautiful doors on the front of our building. It adds a wonderful finishing touch to our building.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 yearolds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 1, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 5:00 PM.
Mussar, Frustration, and the Beauty of Yom Kippur – Rabbi Reingold will be giving a Shiur for women, this Shabbos, October 1, at the home of Meera & Stephan Miller, 1015 Arcola Avenue, at 5:00 PM.
Transportation Issues in Kemp Mill – The Kemp Mill Civic Association (KMCA) has begun working to try to improve the transportation system/facilities in and around Kemp Mill. To help determine the community's needs, please consider taking the survey at: http://goo.gl/forms/qjwiSCBip85Xq0DZ2
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact Joel Bauman at: 301-704-6830, or JABaumanBuy@gmail.com
Mikvah Hours for Men on Erev Rosh Hashanah:
* Kemp Mill (Wallerstein Mikvah): 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM
* Woodside (Ballard St.): 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Free for full members, adults $20, children/students $10. Bring your own towels. Volunteers needed: contact email@example.com to volunteer. We need your donations. Visit mikvahemunah.com for more information.
Toastmasters' Meeting – will meet next on Wednesday, October 26.
The Keys to a Meaningful Yom Kippur Mussaf – TGN Program with Mr. Aharon Yehuda Sussman. This class will help you understand the Yom Kippur service and to use its inspiration to add holiness to your life. Thursday, October 6, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM, Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 or director@ goldennetwork.org
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA's CareerGateway starts October 13. For more information, please contact Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
* Free webinars for job seekers:
* Pet Peeves of a Former Recruiter http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118774
* Application Confessions of a Former Recruiter http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=74118648
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with firstname.lastname@example.org
Third Annual Women's Succoth Kumzits! Back by popular demand. Wednesday night, October 19 at 8:15 PM. An evening of singing and special Ruach led by Dahlia Topolosky in the Succah of Nancy Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. This event is for women and girls of all ages.
Preparing for Yom HaDin – Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington responds, year-round, to an increasing number of local requests from those in need. Through an extensive program of food scrip, the Capital Kosher Pantry, and emergency financial help, it presently assists over 500 families and individuals in our communities. The Foundation absorbs all administrative costs, so your tax-deductible donations go farther. What better way to go into Yom HaDin than to help our friends and neighbors with the extra help they need to celebrate the upcoming Yomim Tovim. To learn more or make a donation, visit http://www.yadyehuda.org/yom-tov.html.
Mayan Hakesef Loan Foundation is a local 501(c)(3) organization founded and active right here in Kemp Mill. Your tax deductible donation will go very far. Sponsor an interest free loan for $2,500 or $5,000. Your donation will be used over and over again for years to come. Nearly all funds have been lent out so your donation will be next in line for use. For questions/inquiries please contact email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry Food Drive – The Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington is launching a pre-holiday food drive to support those in our community who struggle to feed their families, especially during this particularly financially challenging time, as well as throughout the year. Everyone is encouraged to assist the CKP in this cause by dropping off kosher, non-perishable food items in factory sealed containers in the collection box in the YISE lower lobby, helping the dozens of local families who benefit from this service. For more information, please consult the flier and the CKP wish list which are hanging on the bulletin boards. Thank you for your participation in this worthy and necessary endeavor.
Tzom Gedaliah Schedule
Wednesday, October 5
* Fast Begins 5:49
* Early Mincha 1:30 (Arcola)
* Mincha 6:05 (Arcola), 5:55 (Sephardi)
* Maariv 6:55 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 7:24
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal
The annual Eruv appeal has been mailed. Please watch for it in your mailbox and contribute generously to help ensure the Eruv remains intact and reliable. Please do not send Eruv donations to your shul; instead, please follow the instructions in the mailing. Questions? Contact SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
Sun., Oct 2 – Erev Rosh Hashanah Mon., Oct. 3 – Rosh Hashanah Tues., Oct. 4 – Rosh Hashanah Wed., October 5 – Tzom Gedaliah Thursday, October 6 Friday, October 7
Arcola 5:30, 7:00, 8:00 See Rosh Hashanah schedule 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 6:40 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15
Arcola See Rosh Hashanah schedule 1:30, 6:05 / 6:55 6:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:55 6:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:01 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:27 PM
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Monday, October 10, 8:00 PM
YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
October 7-8, 2016 – 6 Tishrei 5777
Parshas Vayeilech – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:22 – Havdalah 7:19
* Light Candles by 6:22
Arcola: 6:25 University: 6:25 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:55 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:19
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 5 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Closed Monday and Tuesday,
Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director