Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 30-31, 2013 – 25 Elul 5773 – Parshas Nitzavim / Vayeilech
Light Candles by 7:23 (and not before 6:20) – Havdalah 8:21
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored in honor of Dr. Howie Schulman's tireless work on behalf of the shul as Chair of the Assistant Rabbi Search Committee.
* Light Candles by 7:23, and not before 6:20
* Mincha 6:10 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:30, 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:10 (Youth – Arcola Social Hall), 7:25
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 (Sephardi), 7:20 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:21
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – Susan & Saul Koss in memory of Morris Koss and Arthur Blumenthal on their Yahrzeits and in thankfulness for Saul's recuperation.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Nancy & Pesach Mehlman in honor of the Aufruf & forthcoming marriage of their son, Yoni, to Rivky Gittleman.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:20 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:50 PM
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Motzei Shabbos, Sept. 1: Arcola: Shiur 12:50 AM, Selichos 1:05 AM University: 1:05 AM
* Sunday, September 1 – 6:00 AM (other Minyanim do not have Selichos).
* See the Week Ahead schedule on back for remainder of schedule.
All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis.
Weekday Shiurim now
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall – Will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – Will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – Will resume on October 2.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays following Mincha/Maariv at University – Will not meet this week.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, following Mincha/ Maariv – Will not meet this week.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the birth of a granddaughter to their children Jenny Benn & Ozer Katz of Beit Shemesh.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-grandson Choni Yehoshua, son of Miriam (Gershon ) & Rabbi Eitan Kupietzky of Beit Shemesh, Israel. Mazal Tov to the siblings Yehuda Lavi, Benaya Eliyahu and Akiva Yerucham.
* Feigy & Rabbi Tuvia Grauman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Yisroel Yehuda, son of Elysha & Moshe Schwartz of Staten Island, NY. Mazal Tov to Sruli's sister, brothers and all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the occasion of their son Yoni's aufruf and upcoming marriage to Rivky Gittleman. Mazal Tov to: Yoni's siblings – Shlomo, Rivka and Tani, and Moshe; Yoni's grandfathers Jack Mehlman and Menache Israel; Marilyn & Neal Gittleman and family and Yoni's niece, aunts, uncles and cousins.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Has resumed with a series running through the Aseres Yemei Teshuvah of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Themes of the High Holiday Prayers. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington & YISE Chesed Committee present Rabbi Koss speaking on "Yom Kippur through the Ages." Monday, September 9, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
High Holiday Preparations:
* Ticket Information – Letters containing information about reserved seats for the Holidays were mailed this week. For questions or more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Setup – Volunteers needed to move books, chairs, mechitzas, etc. Arcola – Sunday, September 1, one or two people 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon, big crew 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM; contact email@example.com or 301-919-5974.University – Wednesday, September 4, and Friday, September 13, (10:00 AM to 11:00 AM); contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-5745.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – Once again, YISE will be selling, as a fundraiser to support the Shul, through Eli Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 11.
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Wednesday, Sep. 11, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Erev Rosh Hashanah, Wednesday, September 4:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 7:15
* Mincha 7:15 (All locations)
First Day Rosh Hashanah, Thursday, Sept. 5:
* Shacharis 7:30, (8:00 Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:45 Nusach Sefard) Late: 4:45
* Mincha & Tashlich 6:45 (6:35 Sephardi)
* Maariv 8:05 (All locations)
* Light Candles after 8:13 (No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Rosh Hashanah, Friday, Sept. 6:
* Shacharis 7:30, 8:00 (Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00 (9:45 Nusach Sefard) Late: 4:45
NEW! The Youth Minyan now offers weekly Friday evening Davening. Please join us this Friday for the Youth Minyan's second Friday night Minyan ever at 7:10 PM in the large social hall for our familyfriendly Minyan.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Mikvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that the Woodside Keilim Mikvah is now back in service! It's located at the rear of 1305 Ballard Street, and the entrance is through the driveway. The Keilim Mikvah is open only during daylight hours.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Events:
* Yovel, Shofar and Redemption: A Reflection on the Cycle of Jewish Life – A special presentation for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Shlit"a, Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva Gedolah. Shabbos, August 31, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. For more information: Rabbi Binyamin Sanders, email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1510.
* 50th Anniversary Kick-Off Event – Sunday, September 1. "A Look Back BBQ, " featuring the famous "Archaeology" Rabbi, R' Shimon Deutsch, of The Living Torah Museum. 12:30 PM – 3:00 PM. YGW Girls Campus. For more information contact Donna Goldman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552.
* Yishuv Eretz Yisroel: The Northern Border Controversy – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men, Monday, September 2, Labor Day. With Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
An Evening of Inspiration – The Greater Washington Community Kollel invites the community to a Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. September 2, 8:15 PM, at the Kollel,10900 Lockwood Dr. See gwckollel.org for more info.
The Wallerstein Mikvah (913 Grays Lane in Kemp Mill) will be available for men's usage next Wednesday, Erev Rosh Hashanah from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM and on Friday, Erev Yom Kippur from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Volunteers are needed to assist at the Mikvah on each of those days. If you are able to volunteer, please contact Ari Israel – email@example.com.
Shofar Blowing – If you are able to blow shofar or need to have shofar blown for you (at home), please contact Aron Trombka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-681-3025.
Professional Clothing Drive – Donate your gently used professional clothes and accessories. Help men& women literally suit up for the office. For more information contact: email@example.com.
The Warwick Sukkah is back! New location by the pool deck. Volunteers needed for set up and take down. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4161.
Over 50 and looking for work? The JCA is offering five new sessions of The Career Gateway. This program comprises 30 hours of small-group instruction for only $75! The first session begins September 23. For more information, contact Ellen Greenberg at 301-255-4215 or egreenberg@AccessJCA.org.
AMIT is selling beautiful New Year's cards at $2.50 each. Please call Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday, October 20, at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom. Honorees are Dr. Kurt Newman, Dr. Roger Packer and community service honoree, Mrs. Miriam Friedman. For more information and to make a reservation, please visit www.bikurcholimgw.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 1 Monday, Sept. 2 – Labor Day Tuesday, September 3 Wednesday, Sept. 4 – Erev Rosh Hashanah Thursday, Sept. 5 – Rosh Hashanah Friday, Sept. 6 – Rosh Hashanah
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 5:30, 7:00 See Rosh Hashanah Schedule
University 8:00 8:00 N/A 5:30
Sephardi 6:45 6:45 5:30 5:30
Arcola 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Rosh Hashanah Schedule
University 7:25 7:25 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:49 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:52 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
September 6-7, 2013 – 3 Tishrei 5774
Parshas Ha'azinu – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 7:12 – Havdalah 8:10
* Light Candles by 7:12, and not before 6:11
* Mincha 6:30, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard at Univ., and Sephardi), 7:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:45 (Arcola and Nusach Sefard at Univ.)
* Mincha 2:30, 6:25 (Sephardi), 6:20 (Nusach Sefard at Univ.) 6:40 (Arcola)
* Rabbi's Drasha 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:10
Shabbos, August 31 Aufruf of Yoni Mehlman, 8:45 Minyan
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Wednesday September 11, 8:00 PM
YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, September 3, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday, Thursday and Friday.
Tuesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Wednesday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director