Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 7-8, 2018 – 28 Elul 5778 – Parshas Nitzvaim – Light Candles by 7:11 – Havdalah 8:08
September 9-11, 2018 – 1-2 Tishrei 5779 – Rosh Hashanah – Light Candles by 7:08 – Havdalah 8:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dolores and Len Schwartz in commemoration of the 50th Yahrtzeit of Len's father, Irving Philip Schwartz, Yitzchak Shraga ben Zev Halevi Z"L.
* Ruthie Benamou & David Rider on their marriage.
* Simi & Sammy Franco on the birth of a granddaughter to Michael and Elisheva Franco. Mazal Tov also to greatgrandparents, Janet Rottenberg and Dottie & Nathan Franco and all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the engagement of their grandson, Meir, son of Tzippy & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh, to Naava, daughter of Vered & Mark Goldfarb of Jerusalem.
* Adina Friedman on the passing of her mother, Tovah Klahr. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 7:11, and not before 6:09
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Shabbos Ends: 8:08
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Abby & Chaim Tor in honor of the recent marriage of their children, Natan & Rachel Tor, and Shabbat Chatan.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha.
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
A = Ashkenazi – Belonofsky Sanctuary & Social Hall, S = Sephardi – Beis Medrash, NS = Nusach Sefard – University Towers
* Light Candles by 7:08
* Mincha – A, S, NS 7:10
* Shacharis – A, NS 7:30
* Shacharit – S 7:45
* Shofar – NS 9:15
* Shofar – A 10:00
* Mincha – S, followed by Tashlich & Maariv 6:30
* Mincha – A, NS, followed by Tashlich 6:40
* Maariv – A, NS 8:00
* Light Candles/Kiddush after 8:05
* Shacharis – A, NS 7:30
* Shacharit – S 7:45
* Shofar – NS 9:15
* Shofar – A 10:00
* Mincha – A, S, NS 7:05
* Maariv/Yom Tov ends 8:03
On Monday & Tuesday there will be a Youth Shofar in the Social Hall, following Musaf.
Shofar will be blown again on Monday & Tuesday in the Belonofsky Sanctuary at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume September 16.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will resume September 18.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 9. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 10.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony, will resume October 3.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM, will resume October 9. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume September 16.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall at 7:30 PM, will resume September 16.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869- 9361.
* For Men: Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will resume October 9.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: Sefer Yonah, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 9.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume October 10.
YISE Programs and Listings
The High Holiday Committee needs volunteers on Sunday, September 9, from 10:30 AM until around 12 noon to assist in the final preparations in the shul for the Yomim Noraim. As always, community service hours for high school students.
For those who wish to help set up the Nusach Sefard Rosh Hashanah Minyan at University Towers, please meet on Sunday at 9:00 AM at YISE.
Lulav Order Deadline was Friday. If you have questions about your order, contact Josh Breitstein at email@example.com or 301-346-7838. Pick up your order at YISE on Thursday, September 20 from 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Ashkenazi Selichos Schedule: All Minyanim are Selichos followed by Shacharis. 1st & 3rd Minyanim are in the Social Hall and 2nd & 4th are in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, or to volunteer to blow shofar, in Kemp Mill, please call Aron Trombka, at 301-681-3025, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Shabbos Shuvah Davening – We are pleased to have Dovi Ziffer with us for Shabbos Shuvah. He will lead a Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary Friday night (a standard Minyan will be held downstairs in the Social Hall for those who would prefer it) and he and Yechiel Shulman will lead the davening at the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. Please sign in to your Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill account because we have an immediate need. All the details are listed. If you are interested in helping out whenever you can, please contact Miriam qFriedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Wednesday, September 12
Fast Begins 5:26 AM
Early Mincha 1:45 PM
Mincha 6:45 PM
Maariv 7:35 PM
Fast Ends 8:02 PM
Shomrai Preschool Job Opportunity
Do you love the idea of working with children in a warm, nurturing environment alongside a dedicated, talented staff, on a schedule that works for your lifestyle? Then being a substitute teacher at Shomrai Preschool is the perfect job for you! For more information and to apply, please contact Suri Kinzbrunnner at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sukkah Hop – Be a part of one of the most popular youth events of the year! Children are divided by age and gender, walk with teen leaders and enjoy a pareve, nut free, snack in your sukkah. Wanted: 20 families, within a few blocks of YISE, to open their sukkahs for our youth. Wanted: 10-12 teens to help lead a group to roughly 5 houses, and ending at the Ben Yehuda Sukkah.
Simchas Torah – Help us increase the simcha for our youth! Wanted: 4 teens to help with candy distribution in the evening. Wanted: 6 – 8 teens with lots of RUACH to lead "Simcha dancing" with our young children during Hakafos.
Community service hours are available for all teen leaders.
Contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com for more details and to sign up!
Community Programs and Listings
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei takes place on Shabbos afternoon in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00-4:55. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Impact of Global Warming on Israel – Dr. Alan Breitler will speak this Shabbos afternoon, September 8, 4:30 PM, 1121 University Blvd. W, Apt. 906.
Bnei Akiva Snif – For one hour on Shabbos afternoon, kids grades 2-6 will partake in playing games, and learn about the State of Israel and the weekly Parsha. The first Snif will take place this Shabbos, September 8, at KMS one hour before Mincha, from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Walking groups from YISE will be leaving at 5:40PM.
Men's Mikvah Use for High Holidays – The Mkvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that The Wallerstein Mikvah, 913 Grays Lane, will be open for men's use on Erev Rosh Hashanah, Sunday September 9, and Erev Yom Kippur, Tuesday September 18, from 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Please arrive no later than 2:15 PM. Please bring your own towel. Showering before-hand would be appreciated and helpful. Fees: $20 each time for men; $10 each time for children and full-time students. Cash or checks only. Full Members of MES ($360 or more per year) are entitled to free use. Additional contributions to support MES are appreciated.
Volunteers are needed: If you can help out on either day at the Wallerstein Mikvah, please contact Howie Schulman at email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 26, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk – 6-week parent workshop with Judy Rosenthal starts Sunday, October 14. $100/person, $120/couple, all books included. For registration or questions, email JudyRosenthal@verizon.net or call 301/754-0470.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha. Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two local foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* Yad Yehuda provides critical assistance during the Yomim Tovim. Yad Yehuda's Tomchei Shabbos Program currently assists 600 individuals and families thoughout Greater Washington meet their daily and Shabbos needs. Your generous contribution will directly provide the extra help they need for the upcoming Yomim Tovim, enabling them to celebrate with the same Simchas Yom Tov that you enjoy in your own home. To learn more or to donate, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
* The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal to email@example.com
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT¡¨L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Help Us Refill the Shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry are in serious need of replenishment. Are you able to donate some of these items?
Baking Ingredients: Pareve Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Olive Oil, Pareve Cake Mixes (e.g., Duncan Hines), Baking Soda, Baking Powder
Food Staples: Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), Pareve Granola Bars (e.g., Nature Valley), Rice Cakes, Pareve Circle Crackers, Mayonnaise, Pasta
Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pasta (not spaghetti)
Shabbos Supplies: Grape Juice, Gefilte Fish, Yahrzeit Candles, Tea Lights
Not Needed Right Now: Honey Nut Cheerios, Canned Green Beans, Canned Corn, Oatmeal, Regular Pasta, Yams, Mustard
* Place your donations in any Capital Kosher Pantry box in most Shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or on the porch of Yad Yehuda at 1910 University Blvd.
* Select items from the Capital Kosher Pantry shelves in Shalom Kosher and, after purchase, deposit them in the Yad Yehuda box in front of the registers.
* Shop online at Walmart or Amazon (info at yadyehudah.org ) and have the food shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Questions? Please call 301-842-7935 ext 706.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday September 9 Monday, Sept. 10 – Rosh Hashanah Tuesday, Sept. 11 – Rosh Hashanah Wednesday, Sept. 12 – Tzom Gedaliah Thursday September 13 Friday September 14
Ashkenazi 5:30, 7:00, 8:00 See Rosh Hashanah Schedule 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 7:30* 6:00*, 7:15 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15
Ashkenazi See Rosh Hashanah Schedule 1:45, 6:45 / 7:35 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:45* 7:00*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:57 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:54 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:37 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 45 minutes before Mincha
September 14 – 15, 2018 – 6 Tishrei 5779
Parshas Vayelech – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 7:00 – Havdalah 7:57
* Light Candles by 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00 (Ruach), 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:30 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:57
Friday, September 14 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Sunday, September 16 Annual BBQ, 4:00 PM
Monday, September 17 Rabbi Frand Teshuva Drasha, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 12 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday/Tuesday (Rosh Hashanah)
Wednesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager