Download the February 8-9 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 8-9, 2013 – 29 Shevat 5773
Parshas Mishpatim / Parshas Shekalim / Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:19 – Havdalah 6:20
* Light Candles by 5:19
* Mincha 5:15 (Sephardi), 5:20 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00*, 8:00 (Sephardi*), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* This week, the Sephardi Minyan will be held in the Arcola Social hall, at a special time, for Coby Cohen's Bar-Mitzvah. The 8 AM Minyan will be held in the Large Beis Medrash and the Youth Minyan will be held in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00 (Sephardi), 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:20
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Ethan Eisen
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group" – in the downstairs lobby.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / Sephardi – Bernice & Eddie Cohen in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Coby, and by Klaofa (Shira) & Ronald Kavanagh on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Arthur (Avi)
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan – in the downstairs lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing others harm or to sin." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie Bassan & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Yehudah Mehlman, Aryeh Broth, Yehuda Rudack, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Esther Widitor
* Bernice & Eddie Cohen on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Coby. Mazal Tov to his siblings Reyna, Isaac, and Tali and the grandparents, Reyna & Isaac Cohen, Bette Weigert and and Robert Weigert. Mazal Tov to the great-grandmother, Marion Krakow and to all of Coby's aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Adina & Joshua Karpoff on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Ann & Harold Kahana and Susan & Michael Karpoff, of Highland Park, NJ.
* Klaofa (Shira) & Reuven Kavanagh on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Arthur (Avi). Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Miriam Kavangh of Syracuse and Prasert & Chencheum Nacharung of Bangkah and to his sister, Anna Rose.
*Shuli Kleinman on the passing of her mother, Doris Bergman. The funeral was held this week in New York. Shiva will be held through Monday morning at her home, 713 Hermleigh Road.
* Rita Thompson on the passing of her father and Cheryl Broth on the passing of her grandfather, Charles Umlas. The funeral was held this week in New York. Shiva will be held through Tuesday morning at the Thompson home 11415 Monticello Ave. Shacharis: Sunday at 8 AM, Mon at 6:40 AM, Tue at 7:00 AM. Mincha-Maariv: Sun. and Mon. at 5:20 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Together for 5 – The daily e-mail Shiur program B"H is going strong with over 155 subscribers! Join the first series and be prepared with Halachos & ideas of Purim. Catch up anytime with archived Shiurim. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
YISE Sisterhood Membership Brunch and Jewelry Workshop, Sunday, Feb. 17, 10:00 AM – noon, YISE Arcola Social Hall. Dairy brunch, desserts, D'var Torah and more! Take home your very own jewelry creation! Brunch begins the 2013 Sisterhood membership year. Brunch fee: 2013 Sisterhood members: With RSVP: $10; At the door: $15; Non-Sisterhood members: $18. 2013 Sisterhood membership fee: $36. Pay at the door or mail checks made out to "YISE Sisterhood" to Hedy Bauman, 1131 University Blvd. W., Apt. 610, Silver Spring, MD 20902. RSVP requested. Contact Esther Goldfeiz at email@example.com or 301-793-1307.
Interested in helping out in this year's Shul banquet? Please join us next Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:30 PM, at YISE, for an open meeting. This year's honorees are Stuart Cohen & Laurie Bassan, and Allison and Louis Lazar will be accepting the Young Leadership award. Please contact Elise Saks at 301-585-1626 if you are interested in volunteering and are unable to attend the meeting.
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer Z"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. The Adult Education Committee has divided the Tanach into 133 sections. To register for a particular section visit the YISE website (www.yise.org/siyum) or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
We welcome new members: Dr. Ronald Solomson and Avital & Jason Goldwasser who were voted in this week.
Community Service Day – Join us on Sunday, Feb. 17 from 12 noon – 2:00 PM. Limited to 20 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer at A Wider Circle (distribution center) – 9159 Brookville Road, 301-608-3504. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. Sponsored by the YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA.
Job Assist Events:
* Accounting Issues for Small Businesses and Startups – Featuring Sharon Samuels. Wed, Feb 20, 7:45-9:15pm, YISE, Arcola Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* LinkedIn for Intermediate Users – Wed, Feb 20, 1-2:30pm, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the small Beis Medrash. NOTE NEW LOCATION FOR THIS WEEK ONLY.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade will meet in the upstairs lobby (outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary) at 10:00 AM to walk together to the Yeshiva. NOTE NEW LOCATION FOR THIS WEEK ONLY; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva Snif this week is from 3:45 PM until mincha (5:10 PM) atKMS.Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:15 PM.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:30 PM -8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
Torah School of Greater Washington's 10th Annual Chinese Auction will take place on Feb. 10 at 7:00 PM at Beth Sholom in Potomac. Check out our website at www.tsgwauction.com.
Sulam presents: "School Success for Kids with ADHD; Supports for Home and School" featuring Dr. Stephan Silverman, Director of Psychological and Behavioral Services for The Weinfeld Education Group; moderated by Dr. Rachel Ravin, Sulam Psychologist. Feb. 13, 7:45 PM at KMS. Jewish Disability Awareness month is February. For more information, 301-962-9400 x5523.
Teens, don't be left out. Come join all your friends at NCSY Latte & Learning where we talk about the things you want to talk about, while you drink what you want to drink (from Starbucks!). Every Tuesday evening, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM at Starbucks in Wintergreen Shopping Center, 865 Rockville Pike. For more information about Latte & Learning as well as our many other programs, please visit us at atsncsy.org or call Lauren Chornock at 301-915-5048.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
YISE Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72, envelopes are included. Contact email@example.com and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards are available for pickup from shul office or YISE Nursery.
The Twelfth Annual Purim Yahrzeit shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, February 24th at 10:30 a.m. in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1121 University Blvd W. (University Towers). The shiur ends by 11:00.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim cards for $2.00 each. Proceeds help fund AMIT projects in Israel. Please contact either Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773.
Matanos La'evyonim – The Yehudah Mond Foundation, which assists individuals and families in our region, will be distributing matanos la'evyonim on Purim day. Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, by calling 443-539-1465, or mailing to 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring.
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has written his third book in a series dealing with the Jewish Holidays. This book is about Purim and is written in English. Please contact Raph Ginsburg at Raphael.Ginsburg@verizon.net if you'd like to purchase a copy.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read? We also need volunteers to lehn Megillah, to ensure that no one misses out because of inability to get to shul, due to illness, infirmity or other reason. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
The Franco Foundation is an essential part of our community's safety net. Your donations for matanot la'evyonim will be distributed on Purim and will help individuals and families pay for basics — food, clothing, and shelter. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco/613 Bromley Street/Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through paypal at email@example.com.
Please support Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington programming by purchasing beautiful Purim Cards designed by local students. Cards are $2.50 each and can be ordered by phone at 202 331-4481, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, on our website www. bikurcholimgw.org or at the Kosher Pastry Oven in Silver Spring.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Feb. 10 Monday, Feb. 11 Tuesday, February 12 Wednesday, February 13 Thursday, February 14 Friday, February 15
Rosh Chodesh Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:10 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30 See Shabbos schedule
University 5:30 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:12 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 15-16, 2013 – 6 Adar 5773
Light Candles by 5:27 – Havdalah 6:28
* Light Candles by 5:27
* Mincha 5:25 (Sephardi), 5:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:10 (Sephardi), 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:28
Shabbos, Feb. 9 Bar Mitzvah of Jacob (Coby) Cohen
Sunday, Feb. 10 Bar Mitzvah of Arthur (Avi) Kavanagh
Shabbos, Feb. 16 Bar Mitzvah of Noach Solomson
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 16 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, Feb. 17 Sisterhood 4th Annual Membership Brunch
Monday, Feb. 18 Man with the Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 13, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director