Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 9 – 10, 2018 – 25 Shevat 5778
Parshas Mishpatim, Parshas Shekalim, Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:20 – Havdalah 6:21
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously in honor of Mrs. Simi Franco and Mrs. Barbara Price for all that they do for the community
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of their greatgranddaughter, Miriam, to parents Chezky & Devorah Guttman of Queens, and grandparents Rabbi Simcha and the late Miriam Guttman, A"H, of Milwaukee.
* Sarah & David Maslow of Jerusalem on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Shmuel Yitzchak Lebowitz, son of Aleeza & Rabbi Natanel Lebowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh, Israel. Shmuel is the great-grandson of Rena and Samuel Holstein, A"H, long-time members of Shomrai Emunah.
* Sabine Himmelfarb on the passing of her mother, Margot Schlesinger. The funeral took place on Friday in Chicago, Sabine may be reached during Shiva in Chicago at 240-994-6324. She will return to Kemp Mill for Shiva on Wednesday at 1126 Kersey Road, 9:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM, 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 5:20
Ashkenazi: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:15 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:21
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Delia Weiss and Miriam & Steve Friedman and family on the 1st Yahrzeit of their husband, father, and grandfather George Weiss, Gedaliah Chaim Ben Avraham Moshe.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter will resume February 26.
YISE Programs and Listings
NEXT WEEK: MEOR Ruach Minyan – Friday, February 16, at 5:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. We welcome MEOR, who will add Ruach and explanation during the Davening. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information please contact Rabbi Koretzky at email@example.com
NEXT WEEK: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 17, 7:30 PM, Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! To sponsor this program, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 2: Sunday, February 25 (changed from original date), 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Scholar-in-Residence – Mark your calendar for the next Scholar-in-Residence – March 2-3 with Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig. Schedule includes:
* Shabbos dinner, $24/adult, $10/child (3-15), details at www.yise.org/dinner RSVP by February 23.
* Friday at 8:00 PM, Prof. Rosensweig "Megilat Esther: Writing the Past into the Future"
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – Rabbi Dr. Rosensweig, "Means and Ends in the Pursuit of Personal and Communal Kedusha" *Kiddush Follows*
* 4:30 PM For Women Only, Hosted by the Broder Family, 11801 Clintwood Place, Prof. Rosensweig, "Women and Geulah: A Pre-Pesach Primer
* Between Mincha and Maariv – Rabbi Dr. Rosensweig, "Why is Hallel on Pesach So Unique?"
Sushi and Speed Dating – Join YISE for sushi making with Shushy Turin, followed by speed dating. For singles aged 22-35. Sunday March 11, 2018, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Cost: $25. RSVP required by March 4, 2018 at www.yise.org/sushi *Events for other age groups will be organized if there is sufficient interest. To express interest in programming for your age group, please contact email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan
Location: youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM
Location: Yeshiva; walking group leaves at 10:00 AM
Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside Social Hall Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Etz Chaim – Tree of Life
Tu B'Shevat was a week ago, on January 31. Tu B'Shevat is Rosh Hashana for trees, a time of renewal and new growth. It is understandably difficult to think of trees blossoming and bearing fruit when it is freezing outside and our neighborhood trees are bare. In Israel, however, the rainy season is almost over and the tree sap has invisibly started to rise. While the trees may still be bare, rejuvenation and life have begun again.
Fortunately, there is a way to make our trees blossom on Tu B'Shevat in the middle of a cold and dreary Kemp Mill winter. On display in our YISE Shul lower lobby is a beautiful Etz Chaim (Tree of Life) with many bare leaves. This Tu B'Shevat, please join us in making that tree blossom. Permanently dedicate a lovely golden leaf to commemorate precious memories or events. Remember loved ones, honor the Rabbi, thank a family member, or recognize a special friend by engraving one or more of our Etz Chaim leaves and thereby make our tree, lobby – and Shul – blossom. Please follow this link to place your order: https://wp.yise.org/tree-of-life
For more information or assistance, please feel free to reach out to the YISE office at 301-593-4465.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Purim Carnival – Sunday, February 25, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE. Purim story 11:00 AM, Sing-along 11:30 AM. Games & prizes! Inflatables! Face Painting! Crafts & more! $5 per person, family max. $25, pizza $3 per slice.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402
Purim Cards for Yad Yehuda available now for $3 each. To purchase cards, contact Menucha Wolfe at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Purim Cards available for $3 each, 10 for $25, premium cards $4. Email email@example.com or call Donna Goldman, 301-962-5111 ext. 1552 for details.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
17th Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod, Raizel bas Simcha, on Purim, Thursday, March 1, at 10:30 AM at 1111 University Blvd West, Penthouse Level Party Room. The shiur ends by 11:00 AM. * Please note new location!
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Is It Ever OK to Not Be A Niddah –Shiur with Yoetzet Halacha, Bracha Rutner, Friday night, February 9, 8:00 PM, at the home of Sarena Kalish, 1121 University Blvd. Apt. 503. For women only. For more information please contact Naomi Carmel at firstname.lastname@example.org To make an appointment to speak with Bracha privately when she's here or to ask her a question contact: email@example.com
Vaad Mashgichim The R.C.G.W. is hiring Mashgichim. Training will be given to qualified candidates. Candidates should be fully Shomer Shabbos and Kashrus. Contact Rabbi Zvi Holland firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Moshe Walter at email@example.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 10, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM.
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "The Nanny" – at Berman, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Sunday February 11, doors open 12:30 PM, show begins 1:00 PM, Monday February 12 doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" available for sale during intermission. Advance tickets & playbill ads www.yeshiva.edu Tickets available at the door. For more information: YGWproduction@gmail.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
CPR Class – Sunday, February 11, 12 Noon at YISE. Full certification class administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. It will be infant & child CPR ONLY, with no adult CPR component. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. The cost is $35 per person. Payment at the event. Estimated time is 2-1/2 – 3 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Sign up by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Not that Kind of Doctor: Viruses, DNA, and the PhD Process – by Dr. Avigayil Druck Shudofsky, with Torah Insights by Mrs. Rachelle Reingold. Ma rabu ma'asecha …Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations, Community science lecture series, Sunday, February 18, 12:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus 1216 Arcola Ave. For more info. Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553. Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 11 Monday February 12 Tuesday February 13 Wednesday February 14 Thursday, Feb. 15 – Rosh Chodesh Friday, Feb. 16 – Rosh Chodesh
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:00
Ashkenazi 5:30 5:30 / 7:30 5:30 / 7:30 5:30 / 7:30 5:30 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25 5:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:11 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 16-17, 2018 – 2 Adar 5778
Light Candles by 5:28 – Havdalah 6:29
* Light Candles by 5:28
Ashkenazi: 5:30, Ruach, Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:25 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:29
Monday, February 12 Basic Colors, 12:30 PM – 6:30 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 17 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 25 Purim Carnival, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 25 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, March 2-3 Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig
Sunday, March 11 Sushi and Speed Dating, 6:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 14 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi
Simi Franco – Office Manager