Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 5-6, 2016 – 27 Shevat 5776 – Parshas Mishpatim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:15 – Havdalah 6:16
Welcome and thanks to the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Simcha Leiner for an Inspirational Shabbos. See attached page for full schedule.
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Pam & Sam Melamed in honor of the birth of their son.
* Rena & Chaim Fruchter on the engagement of their daughter, Dasi, to Amir Zinkow, of Columbus, Ohio.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the birth of a granddaughter, Devora, to their children Melissa & Rabbi Yosef Kalinsky of Washington Heights, NY. Mazal Tov also to Aunt Sahra & Uncle Yale, Uncle Raph and the entire Ginsburg Family.
* Pam & Sam Melamed on the birth of a son. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 11504 Rockbridge Road at 8:30. The Bris will IY"H be held on Sunday morning at KMS following the 9:00 Minyan.
* Light Candles by 5:15
Arcola: 5:15 University: N/A
Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
The Friday night Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary will be a special Ruach Minyan led by Simcha Leiner. There will be another Minyan in the Social Hall beginning at the same time.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:16
* Youth Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Annonymous Sponsor in honor of the GWCK and the Inspirational Shabbos.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume February 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Back by Popular Demand: YISE Social Committee Presents: Trivia Night – General knowledge trivia questions. Motzei Shabbos, February 6. Doors open at 7:45 PM, Games begin at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Cost: $3 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Social@yise.org
Cholim List – We are redoing the list. Anyone who has submitted a name that should remain on the list should contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465, ext. 402 or email@example.com by Thursday, February 11.
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Rabbi Burnham's class on how to lead Davening for Shabbos and Yom Tov will meet on Monday, February 8, focusing on Shabbos Musaf and Mincha. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 13, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Recoding Creation: Halachic Implications of Genetic Engineering – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Heinemann. Sunday, February 14, 9:30 AM at YISE.
Landmark Pesach Wine Event – Don't miss this unprecedented chance to taste and learn about new wines from Israel and place your order for wines for Pesach. Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. Presentation, tasting and cheese pairing, and ordering opportunity. This is a joint community event by KMS and YISE. Cost: $10 in advance, $15 at the door. $10 of each admission will be applied to your wine order. Questions? Contact email@example.com or visit www.yise.org/wine The order list is extensive and will include your traditional favorites as well as special new releases, labels and special values. L'Chaim!
YISE Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Shabbos – February 20. Special presentation between Mincha and Maariv (5:25 PM) in the YISE social hall. "Through Our Eyes, Living a Jewish Life with a Disability," will feature four community members who live with a disability. Sponsors requested to help defray the cost of resource services. For more information or to sponsor, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-675-6684.
When your Loved one Enters Hospice or Receives Palliative Care – Learn about the three different approaches to managing pain, the conditions for which they are appropriate, and the halachic issues that arise when such care is provided. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller tackle these questions, from different perspectives and many years of counseling patients and families. Sunday, February 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE (Beis Midrash). Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
SAVE THE DATE: The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to explore the worlds of Kashrus, conversion, financial arbitration, divorce proceedings, and more at YISE on Sunday, March 13, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
YISE Security – Please consider helping sponsor our increased security presence. The requested contribution is $36 per household. Of course, smaller or larger amounts will be gratefully accepted. A list of the donors will be displayed on the electronic board in the coming weeks. Tax-deductible checks made to YISE or donate through our website at www.yise.org and select "YISE Security Fund" when you submit.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Shomrai Nursery registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN!
"I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts, and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. At Shomrai Nursery we respect our children, listen to their inquiries, their thoughts and their plans. We walk hand-in-hand with them, as together we forge new paths of discovery which lead to the development of essential life skills. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Contact us at 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for inquiries
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? For high school students. Sunday, February 7, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Kashrus Alert – Please be advised the Edible Arrangements, of Olney, has decided to discontinue Kosher certification.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
DNA, Enzymes, and Ashkenazi Genetic Diseases – Ma Rabu Ma'asecha, Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. Fifth lecture in our science series. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking lecture by Dr. John Golin, Catholic University of America. Sunday, February 7, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Peter Pan – YGW- Tiferes Gedaliah – Girls Division presents a production for women and girls ONLY. Sunday, February 7 at 5:30 PM and Monday, February 8 at 7:30 PM at the JCC of Greater Washington. Tickets available in advance and at the door. For more information, to purchase tickets, or to place ads: www.yeshiva.edu, 301-962-5111 x1407 or email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 10, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Wandering Eyes – February is Jewish disabilities awareness and inclusion month, so KMS is hosting a special needs awareness movie and discussion night. Motzei Shabbat, February 13, at 7:30 PM for a screening of the Israeli documentary. The film will be followed by a short panel discussion. Light dessert (from Sunflower Bakery) and coffee/tea will be provided. Questions? Contact email@example.com
Backing Out or Locked In: Understanding the Employer/Employee Relationship – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men – Monday, February 15, Presidents' Day, with Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rav of WSAT. Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM; Shiur follows, at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Laugh and Learn! Interactive, multi-media, humor-filled presentation by American-Israeli comedian Benji Lovitt. Watch and discuss classic movies, TV shows, and comedy clips to gain a richer understanding of Israeli society. Motzei Shabbos, February 27 at 8:30 PM at KMS. Thanks to the support of generous sponsors, this program is free to the community. Questions? Contact Shuly Babitz (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ina Lerman (301-681-7107).
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 7 Monday, February 8 Tuesday, Feb. 9 – Rosh Chodesh Wed., Feb. 10 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, February 11 Friday, February 12
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:00, 7:10 6:00, 7:10 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 5:25 5:25, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:25, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:25, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:25, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:16 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 12-13, 2016 – 4 Adar 1 5776
Light Candles by 5:23 – Havdalah 6:24
* Light Candles by 5:23
Arcola: 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:24
Shabbos, February 5-6 Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 6 YISE Social Committee Trivia Night
Monday, February 8 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 13 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:30 PM
Sunday, February 14 Rabbi Moshe Heinemann Lecture
Shabbos, February 20 YISE Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Shabbos
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 20 Landmark Pesach Wine Event
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 10 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director